PDA

View Full Version : Linux Gurus: If there are any here...

iclozm
03-02-2006, 12:11 PM
I've been trying to figure out what this error "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" means.

I'm trying to setup a BF2 Server on a Fedora 4 box (AMD 64 3200, 512MB DC DDR400, 120GB SATA, 100Mbit pipe) but when I was looking to see what that error meant I saw that this is happening to many programs and not specifically to a BF2 server install.

I'm lost. Does anyone know what causes this error? Am I missing libs? I have no clue whatsoever.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v384/iclozm/error.jpg

fade2black
03-02-2006, 01:09 PM
Try running gdb on the resulting core file. Check the man pages for more info on gdb.

iclozm
03-02-2006, 03:45 PM
I deleted the core files from the verbose switch upon running but I can sure get them again.

Thanks! I'll continue the search there.

uOpt
03-02-2006, 03:59 PM
Are you running the x64_86 or i386 version of FC4 on that box?

The Linux kernel changed the default VM layout for 32 bit userspace processes between the 32 and 64 bit versions. Programs hardcoding memory locations often clash with their own shared libraries.

iclozm
03-02-2006, 04:01 PM
I shot a support email to my host which is:

http://www.iicinternet.com/web_hosting_dedicated.php

They do have the best prices on a dedciated server around. But they are checking to see if the 64 bit version was installed. The tech I spoke to said they usually install as a 64 bit when the processor has the capability.

Thanks! I'll write an update as soon as I have one.

uOpt
03-02-2006, 04:06 PM
`uname -a` will tell you.

Seems you are running the BF2 server as root, BTW.

iclozm
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I tried it as the bf2server user and root. Same segmentation error. The techs are on my box and I can't SSH into it right now.

iclozm
03-03-2006, 09:20 AM
64 bit installation.

However the tech at the datacenter wasn't too familiar with the BF2 Linux server. He said that most 32 bit programs should run just fine in a 64 bit environment in FC4. He's looking into it further but from the sounds of it, you are correct... :fact:

Might just have to dish out for that 32 bit OS reload. :eek:

uOpt
03-03-2006, 09:36 AM
64 bit installation.

However the tech at the datacenter wasn't too familiar with the BF2 Linux server. He said that most 32 bit programs should run just fine in a 64 bit environment in FC4. He's looking into it further but from the sounds of it, you are correct... :fact:

Might just have to dish out for that 32 bit OS reload. :eek:

Don't spend money yet.

It should be very easy to figure out whether the 32 bit build of the BF2 server is supposed to run in the 32 bit environment of the 64 bit Linux. That should be all over the FAQs and/or forums.

But yes, it is an absolute pain in the Allerwertesten that these idiots decided to change the default VM memory map for userlevel processes. While it is bad style to hardcoded addresses, some legitimate uses exist.

iclozm
03-03-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks. I've got to call the tech back this afternoon. I'll post what the outcome is.

BTW: I like the write up on your homepage in regards to ECC memory. I work in the business and its quite rare to find an end user who knows what they're talking about. Especially from a technical aspect.

iclozm
03-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Question: I'm not an avid Linux User by any means but I can work my way through the OS as more of a power user. Why would you suggest Free BSD over Fedora in your forums?

If I'm going to have to do an OS reload, I'd want to understand why I'd want to switch to a different distro.

Thanks a bunch!

uOpt
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Question: I'm not an avid Linux User by any means but I can work my way through the OS as more of a power user. Why would you suggest Free BSD over Fedora in your forums?

Well, not to start a Linux versus FreeBSD flamewar, but just for starters, FreeBSD would not and did not change the memory map of userlevel programs when going 32 bit to 32on64 bits.

In fact, I can run my 32 bit Linux programs that hardcoded the old map on FreeBSD/amd64 but not Linux/amd64.

Linux is just making a mess out of too many things, and Fedora adds a lot of mess on top. FreeBSD has less functionality but what it has works out of the box.

Just to pick an example: you might have noticed that there is a three second delay between failed login attempts. Try to change it to 2 seconds or failing that try disabling it. For added bonus, locate documentation with a realistic path of users finding that documentation.

You should not, however, just replace Linux with FreeBSD when you intention is to run Linux programs without first understanding all the issues involved with libraries.

iclozm
03-03-2006, 10:45 AM
I not too familiar with what Libs I need to run BF2 but I have seen several users on message boards successfully setup a box using Free BSD. I'd say its safe to assume that if they did it, all of the available libs are available, out of beta, and working for that specific program.

http://entertainment.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/11/18/1538225&tid=22&tid=8

The only other thing I would use the server for is Apache and MySQL DBs which I know work phenomnial on that distro based off of many admins recommending it as the server OS to use. I'd assume is due to the old mapping still hardcoded in the kernel as you are very specific in noting its interoperability of 32/64 apps.

Thanks!

iclozm
03-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Yep OS was reinstalled as 32 and its working just fine now.

uOpt
03-04-2006, 07:44 PM
Yep OS was reinstalled as 32 and its working just fine now.

Congrats :)

But that sucks. Neither should BF2 had hardcoded a memory map expectation, nor should Linux have changed the memory map :(