PDA

View Full Version : Something is holding it back, what should I mod?

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Hi, I have a P3 Coppermine slot1 550E cpu and I am having some problems overclocking it.
My motherboard is Lucky-Star 6ABX2V with h0 bios which allows up to 150fsb to be set within the bios setup.
140, the next step down, works perfectly but as soon as I turn it to 150 applications start crashing in Windows XP and Prime95 gives errors (no BSOD or such and no hard lock-up)
What could be holding me back from getting 150fsb an 825MHz CPU speed?
The board has Intel BX440 chipset, memory is one stick of Winbond pc133 cas2 which has done 155MHz on other machines without giving me problems, I tried turning down to cas 3 but it didn't help at all so I'm thinking it's something else.
Note that the motherboard has no voltage adjustment so I guess it is running at the default 1.65v (pretty sure that is right)
Clock generator will only allow 140 or 150, nothing in between.
Hope you can help me out since this is the most elite forum there is.:p

Tweaked!
02-01-2003, 11:20 AM
I'm going to move this over to mobo mods. There the gurus can try to talk you through a vcore mod. That's exactly what you need from the sounds of it.

Btw, Welcome to Xtreme:D

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Another thing I'd like to add: the mobo supports up to 550 officially, so maybe there is some problem with the power regulator not being able to supply enough when I go this high?

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Tweaked!
I'm going to move this over to mobo mods. There the gurus can try to talk you through a vcore mod. That's exactly what you need from the sounds of it.

Btw, Welcome to Xtreme:D

Forgot to click the submit button? :stick: :confused: :p
Looks like it is still here at the same spot

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 03:07 PM
Well I just started collecting material and came across a little chip to the left of the CPU slot.
It is named AIC 1569CS an when I searched for it the first answear was an information page for my mainboard!
here: http://www.palettemm.com/products/peripherals/6abx2v.html

This it what it says:
"Over-current protection Circuit
With AIC 1569CS AH13 (protect CPU from accident short circuit), and a set of poly-fuses (protect Keyboard and USB devices from accident short circuit), if system current is over-loaded, the system will break down to protect direct damage to the main board"

Will this keep me from vcore modding?

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 03:10 PM
I just realized the info wasn't for my motherboard, but in a way it is.
I think it is just sold under different names.
I remember some year ago I thought it was an ACorp board and that may have been just as right.
I "think" these three labels are just the same board anyway.
Well it doesn't matter.

SBeaver
02-01-2003, 03:36 PM
here is a pic from a review site, it's a little dark but you can still make out th chips to the left of the CPU slot

edit: or not ;)

SBeaver
02-05-2003, 03:24 AM
Ehum...
BUMP

Tweaked!
02-05-2003, 03:27 AM
Ok, did it this time;)

SBeaver
02-05-2003, 06:58 AM
Let's hope someone notices it.
Another thing to add, is it possible to swap the clock crystal on the board for a faster one in order to get higher clock speed?
Would this fry the board maybe? If the system clock runs to fast that's no problem but if it dies then maybe that's something you should stay away from.
I havn't heard of anyone changing crystals since the 386/486 days so maybe it can't be done on new computers?