PDA

View Full Version : Monitors randomnly refreshing or ?

Inigmatics
02-27-2006, 11:35 PM
My monitors will almost like randomnly refresh almost like I turned them off and powered them back on really fast any one have a guess why this might be happening?

They are two 17 in viewsonic LCD's hooked up to a 7800gt

JeffTracy
03-07-2006, 01:22 PM
1) Viewsonics are cheap [insert picture of dumpster here].
2) Possibly your videocard is not receiving enough power, or is overheating.
3) Fluctuations on your mains is causing sporadic resets on the screens. gGt a UPS or mains line conditioner. Or a better PSU, instead of a Long Wang Phat generic I'm-supposed-to-be-switchmode-but-I've-got-cheap-components-so-I-can't-switch-that-fast one
4) Bad mains with no earth means that to clear accumulated static charge, they reset themselves (and if that's so, where's that charge going to but through this handy ground link called My Computer. Whoops!)
5) Viewsonics are cheap [expletive].

FAB

Inigmatics
03-08-2006, 01:38 AM
You, know, what ever it was, it hasn't done it since I posted this thread. Really weird.

{.bLanK} GoD
03-08-2006, 03:03 AM
I'd definatly be testing the earth continuity after what JeffTracy said if i were you.

Inigmatics
03-25-2006, 04:41 PM
So now they're back to do it again. So exactly how do I check my earth continuity?

When I built the rig, I upgraded to a silverstone 600W power supply (which I paid too much for because of my lack of patientce) so I hope that is not the cause. I'd like to think that it is just the electrical out let that aI ma using at this house. I'm (embarassed) currently got everything plugged into one wall out let (the kind with the two sockets) and have a power strip coming off each of them. Maybe this house is just old and the wiring sucks? And obviously, I should clean up my wires and move anything possible to another wall socket?

Inigmatics
04-07-2006, 01:16 PM
I'm so irritated. It is the PSU. I'm running 3.17v to my bh-5 and this Silverstone PSU doesn't like it. If I throw the mem on a bigger divider bringing the mhz down so taht I can bring the volts down, it stops doing it.

But that then means that my mem isn't running as fast...

Damn.

So I tried rewiring my rig to give it a cleaner power line so that its not plugged in with anything else, and that seemed to help a little.

Any body got any ideas on what is happening in between the PSU and where the volts run into the MB for the mem? What plug supplies my MB with power for the mem? Does it come from the main 20 or 24 pin plug? or is it somewhere else?

Sorry for the noob question.

[XC] MarioMaster
04-07-2006, 01:25 PM
The power once on the board from the connector gets distributed appropriately by the traces on the mainboard, there isn't a dedicated line for the memory. Sounds like either A: your PSU is crap - or B: your computer isn't getting good power
If you have a voltmeter try checking the voltage of the outlet with your computer on (don't try this unless you know what you're doing)

Inigmatics
04-07-2006, 01:57 PM
Lol, yeah that def means trying this is not for me. Could I use a fork as a voltimeter substitue since I don't own a voltimeter?

;)