PDA

View Full Version : effective pumps???

Craig
01-31-2003, 11:32 PM
I'm thinking of building a water cooled PC and would like some advice on the pump. I'll outline the rest of my system ideas so as to give a referance point for other areas of the total system that will impact pump performance.

I'm intending the rad to be a large heater core 11" x 6" x 2.5" which will be installed on the case floor drawing it's air up from below the case. Case will be off the floor 3-4" on a stand made for this set up. Fans will be dual 127 x 38 @ 160 cfm & hooked up to a reobus & mounted on DIY shroud. The CPU, Gfx & NB to have blocks. Line off the rad to the CPU then a Y spliting flow to the NB & Gfx and from them to DIY res 6"H x 2.5"W x 2.5"D with a large copper line to the pump on case floor then back to rad. Intending a mix of copper lines & fittings with some Tygon to allow easy disassembly in sections. Cpu block to be a White water or Swifty, Gfx to be Swifty or White water (if availabe) & NB to be Danger Den Z block.

What pump @ flow & pressure/head would you use to gain the the highest balanced performance for lowest temps possible? What line size would you use with your choice of pump to get it's best rates?

I'm willing to spend extra for a good pump. Just don't want to get one to large with excess heat above flow advantages, nor one that would fall to short of optimum flow rates.

I've seen so many pumps ranging from small Rios to Little Giants & Iwaki pumps disscussed and suggested for differant systems. I think I need a fairly large one, but unsure of which one.

Also glad of any advice anyone can give to improve the rest of the system ideas I have.

Thank you very much. And sorry for a long winded post.

Aaron
02-04-2003, 10:41 PM
honestly I think it more dependent on your block than anything. I had a slow, and I mean slow pump (probably around 50 - 75 GPH)and I upgraded to one of the fastest (reasonable) pumps I could find (330 GPH). Anyway. My temps are exactly the same. A slow pump is going to feed the block slower, but the incoming h20s been sitting in the rad that much longer so its that much cooler... I think Its give and take.

Craig
02-06-2003, 06:48 PM
Thanks for your response Aron, and you do have a good point. Every system has to be a balancing act. Just still unsure how best to pull that off.