PDA

View Full Version : Possible to access Mac bios?

wowza
02-27-2006, 12:37 PM
Well, I have an old eMac G4 700MHz hanging around, and I was wondering how do access the bios? It has 1GB of PC133 memory (that I stuck in)... I mainly use the compy for folding, and I know it needs a preformance boost, only pumping out 1WU per week. The OS is 10.15 and I also have OS9 installed. If I can't get into the bios, is there software I can use?

Serra
02-27-2006, 12:52 PM
Not sure about whether you can access the Mac equivalent of BIOS... but I know Macs don't have BIOS's in the same capacity that you think of PC's Basic Input Output System. Personally I don't think there is anything you can do, but I'm not sure about 3rd party software.

wowza
02-27-2006, 01:17 PM
Humm, that's what I assumed.. I guess most of the mac OCing was done by volt mods (ie. the mac mini) and stuff like that. Bummer.

cirthix
02-28-2006, 12:01 AM
mac overclocking is done by changing the multipliers by resoldering 0ohm resistors on the pcb of the cpu

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Not for the faint of heart. Check out www.xlr8yourmac.com is a good place to start. You can always do a replacement chip in it.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Sorry forgot the direct link to the rate your upgrade experiance. http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

wowza
03-01-2006, 12:37 PM
Sorry forgot the direct link to the rate your upgrade experiance. http://forums.xlr8yourmac.com/cpureview.lasso

Sweet thanks a ton :banana:

[XC] mysticmerlin
03-02-2006, 01:18 AM
:toast: Not a prob. Just courious what version Mac it is. Like Quick silver or mirror drive or what?.

JeffTracy
03-07-2006, 10:33 AM
Just courious what version Mac it is.

He says it's an eMac. You know, one of the last all-in-ones? And cirthix is right, with a few exceptions in the ol' grey era that used jumpering on the motherboard to set clock & bus speed, the way to overclock most Macs is via changing SM resistor packs -- not a job for the faint of heart.

Macs don't have a BIOS, they use something called OpenFirmware. And even then, there's no way to access timings & the like there. The Mac is not a tweaker's platform by any stretch of the imagination :)

FAB

[XC] mysticmerlin
03-07-2006, 11:30 AM
He says it's an eMac. You know, one of the last all-in-ones?
Thanks for pointing that out. I was not paying attention. Welcome to the forums. Nice to see new Macies in here.