PDA

View Full Version : Air Bubble at Low point in system?

Svenn
01-31-2003, 10:17 AM
I'll try and get a pic, but for some reason, I keep getting an air bubble just after my Swiftech MCW50-T block. This wouldn't be too particularly odd if it was a high point in the system, but the thing is it's almost the lowest point in the system. I flush it through and then not long after it builds back up. Could it be because I"m splitting 1/2" tubing into 2 1/2" tubes? My setup goes like this:

pump -> split to GPU and NB -> combine to radiator -> res -> pump

If that's the case though, why does it build up near the GPU when the NB is higher up? The NB tubing never has a problem with air bubbles at all. I've asked my father who sells industrial water pumps and he has no idea either...

wymjym
01-31-2003, 11:11 AM
You will find many times, that when there is a change in the diameter (or resistance to flow) these areas of bubbles exist. They should eventually dissipate on their own. If not try tapping the line in the area of the air if that doesn't solve the problem think about getting a higher volume pump or changing your plumbing layout.
wj

Svenn
01-31-2003, 11:18 AM
That's the thing. I tap the line and it moves on through, but comes back about 10 mins later. The system has been running for about 2 weeks now... I"m using an Eheim 1250 pump so the pump shouldn't be the problem. It's not an incredible amount of tubing either. :confused:

wymjym
01-31-2003, 11:22 AM
Assuming everything is A okay in the system, there must be an air leak somewhere (allowing air to enter the lines) or you have a lot of gas in the water you are using (rare but my well water has a lot of sulfur and if I use it in my system I must let it 'breathe' for a few hours or I'll see bubbles everywhere). Probably a tiny air leak.
wj

Svenn
01-31-2003, 11:31 AM
If there was an air leak then wouldn't that mean that a) there's a water leak and b) the level of water in my resevoir would be dropping?

The water is grocery store bought distilled water with some water wetter and a small amount of dye.

What I'm still wondering is why it only builds up in the one area?

wymjym
01-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Svenn
If there was an air leak then wouldn't that mean that a) there's a water leak and b) the level of water in my resevoir would be dropping?

The water is grocery store bought distilled water with some water wetter and a small amount of dye.

a....no not necessarily
b....yes if you have a leak but No if it is 'sucking' the air into it

because that is where there is a change in the flow rates
wj

wymjym
01-31-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Svenn

a....no not necessarily
b....yes if you have a leak but No if it is 'sucking' the air into it

because that is where there is a change in the flow rates
wj

Svenn
01-31-2003, 11:49 AM
Well, the other half of the split is the high end, and there's never any air bubbles. I would think if there was a problem with the split the air would go to the highest part of the split. Instead it's building up on the low part...

How can I have an air leak without a water leak?

wymjym
01-31-2003, 11:58 AM
the opening is so small relative to the flow direction of the fluid that it creates a vacum...it sucks the air into the line.
If you have no water leaks and
you have purged the system and
the water has no abundance of gases then......
.....you are sucking air!!! try tightening all of your connections, are you sure the system is purged? roltate it around an imaginary ball. Up down left right etc.
gotta go, good luck.
wj