PDA

View Full Version : G.Skill 2GB HZ, Asus A8V

alphablu
02-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Hi, i got this kit today and so far i cannot get it stable above DDR400, which is the same speed as the ram it replaces. :mad:

I am trying to come to a decision as to whether the ram or my motherboard (ASUS A8V-Deluxe) is at fault, heres the dirt, I copied advice for timings from this forum and even ran super loose timings just to be sure and this is the result:

DDR400= no memory errors, no crashes
DDR450= memory errors after about 4 minutes, rare crashes
DDR480= memory errors after about a minute, frequent crashes and freezes
DDR500= memory errors after about 2 seconds when it manages to boot into windows successfully
DDR530= never boots, keyboard stops responding after 4 seconds while in the bios and the pc freezes

Also using a divider or not makes no difference.

I read in other threads here that my board, or ASUS in general has compatibility problems with G.Skill.. however it seems to me that the clues point to bad ram.. what makes it hard to decide is the odd behaviour when i try to boot at DDR530 and i have no other computer that i can test the stock speed of this ram on so any ideas? does this look familiar to anyone?

ASUS A8V-Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester core
Rosewill 450watt PSU
nVidia 6800GT
and so on

GSKILL TECH
02-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Well i think Asus A8 motherboard has really big issue with Samsumg UCCC chip. If you can try other mobo i think you can hit 250 no problem
or if you want to RMA the memory to us to test it is ok
let me know

alphablu
02-25-2006, 01:50 AM
So it definately sounds like the motherboard? i wish i had another pc that could handle DDR500. Anyhow are there any charges involved in sending it back and having it tested?

GSKILL TECH
02-25-2006, 10:46 AM
for over stock FSB is totally not recommend Asus A8 family mobo :(

alphablu
02-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Little update, i have begun testing the sticks individually and one will fail prime95 in a matter of seconds at 240mhz however the other one has passed 4 tests so far and no errors, i believe i have one bad stick so i got an RMA number from newegg and i'll follow up with how the replacement set goes.

dworks
03-23-2006, 06:00 PM
Same problem here, I have an Asus a8v DLX 2.0, with a Geforce 6800 Ultra. I just got this RAM today (2x1GB G.SkillHZ) and i cant get it to work stable at 250. I've done every combination possible. Lower multiplier, 4x HTT, slack timings and nothing seems to work; then I read what people were saying about the asus a8* series issues. Shoulda looked this up sooner. I still find weird that CPU-z detects the spd timings to be 3-5-5-10 and the motherboard bios 3-4-4-8. At least like the OP, the RAM seems stable at 200 but with those timings I'm better off with my old corsair value ram that did 2.5-3-3-8:mad:

alphablu
03-23-2006, 10:04 PM
Yep its annoying isnt it? i could find virtually no info on the net about this incompatibility i guess because the A8V is no longer the hottest thing. I got my RMA replacement from newegg a while back and its even less stable than the last set so im returning it for a refund.. 15% restocking sucks but oh well.

Heres something funny, go to google and search for "A8V G.Skill HZ" and look at the first result :P

GSKILL TECH
03-24-2006, 10:32 AM
guys possible take some pic of your bios option screen and post it in here
and i might able to give some advice..... some mobo just not as good as DFI LP serise but i will do my best to help.....

fricoberto
03-24-2006, 03:21 PM
Hello friends from Spain! (sorry for my poor english).

I spend hours and hours with this mobo and memory.

Now, I run this conf 24/7:

Memclock 1:1
Hardware memory hole: disable
Bank Interleaving: enable
Burst lenght: 8 beats
CAS: 2.5
TRAS: 6
TRP: 3
TRCD: 3
TRRD:auto
TRC: 12
TRFC: 14
TRWT: 2 <-Very Importat, more bandwith!!!
TWCL: auto
TWR: auto
Asynclat: 5
Read Preamble: 4.0
2T command: disable

Vddr: 2.6

My system 230 FSB, Opteron 170, 230x10= 2300 mhz, 1.30 vcore in bios.
I think that can do 260 HTT (max on my mobo) but Memclock 5:3 (217 fsb).
You can see strangles timmings on memory, but is 100% stable and more bandwith.
This is the price for AGP, quiet Chipset and stability, never gets higs overclokings leves!