PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Gun?

Svenn
01-31-2003, 09:58 AM
Okay, I've been using clips for my vmods (well only done 1 so far) but I'm thinking I might want to try and learn to solder... I was browsing the home depot page and saw three soldering guns. I'm not one to buy cheap stuff, but I don't know anything about soldering so which should I buy?

Soldering Guns (http://www.homedepot.com/prel80/HDUS/EN_US/prodmeta/pg_prodmeta.jsp?CNTTYPE=PROD_META&CNTKEY=Products_1%2fTools_5332%2fWelding+and+Solde ring_3034%2fSoldering+Irons-Torches_3075%2fIrons+and+Guns_3076&BV_SessionID=@@@@0829281845.1044036092@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccedadchgmemjmicgelceffdfgidgnl.0&MID=34)

And what else would I need? I think I'll pick one up next week and start practing on some old parts. Then after my resistors and Prometeia arrive, I'll do some vmods. Man, this is so turning into a serious addiction, eheh. Oh well, at least I'm learning to use tools. I'd never even heard of a dremel until I started doing case mods. Now it's my best friend :D

sysfailur
01-31-2003, 03:42 PM
That link didn't work... but what you want anyway, is something like this: http://www.micro-tools.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=454

Ragnarok
01-31-2003, 06:39 PM
spend a bit of money and get a good Jap soldering iron, personally I like the 'GOOT' brand ones..

muzz
01-31-2003, 07:59 PM
Weller and Ungar make good soldering IRONS..... you have no need for a gun if your going to use it for most electronic stuff ( unless you are building stuff and soldering onto chassis), they are bulky( you won't be able to get them into tight places), which makes them difficult( board mods?.. ya right. good luck with your mess there).... but the worst part is they produce too much heat, which will kill most electronic components( especially sm) quickly.

I would suggest buying an iron that you can change the heating element, (and the tips) myself( for different wattage- they screw into the handle)... gives you more applications where it would be useful....

Svenn
01-31-2003, 09:52 PM
Ok, should I get the one sysfailur posted? Or anyone know where I can get a better one?

Also, what else to I need? I know nothing about soldering... enlighten me.

muzz
02-01-2003, 12:34 AM
There are tons of places that sell good irons......... I just typed in Ungar soldering irons and I got pages worth....... An Ungar/Weller iron is what I would buy personally for the reasons I stated above ( I've had my Ungar since I was about 15 yrs old, it's gotten alot of use, and it still works mint).

http://www.action-electronics.com/cooper.htm#Ungar

I have never bought from this place, I just pulled it up from google.... but if you go there you will see all the combinations available... pick your handle, your heating element, and your tip ( you can buy extra elements and tips if ya want to for different needs)
They sell combo's also( this is what you should get IMO), which is the page I am giving you the link to... browse around a bit and go to other sites and check for better prices. I doubt I picked the best( or cheapest) store on my first try.......
I don't know how much $ you want to spend, but I would look at these.
part #
#WE-SL325 ( $37.92) - 25w with thread on pencil tip - tip like the one sys linked to
#WE-SL335 ($39.61) - 33w with thread on chisel tip ( thats the tip I use )

Chisel tips are a little harder to work with , as the end is bigger making it a little more dificult to get into tight spaces.. but I've soldered alot, so I dont have a problem( and you can turn the tip flat) most times.. and I can use the tip to push things, with a pencil tip there is a far greater chance to slide off and slam into whatever is right next to it.
I have been slacking with my soldering gear....... I dont even have a pencil tip anymore, and they do come in handy sometimes. I am going to be buying part #WE-PL155 ( small chisel tip- not ordering it from here right now probably get it local) shortley, as that IMO is a ballsy tip for mods( best of both worlds, narrow and flat).
I would suggest you get the 25w iron (33w at the most as you have no experience), with the pencil tip, or the tip I said I was buying ( you can buy that seperate if ya want - not part of the "KITS" they sell). All the seperate parts are on that page also, with pricing so you get an idea.

I would HIGHLY suggest ( not mandatory) you by a soldering stand/holder if you can afford to( over the years I've burn't a few things when it has fallen off whatever was holding it.. heheh)......... they have a few there ( one even can control the heat but thats $32)

Part:
WE-PH60
or
WE-PH1301ESD

And last but not least the one that you can control the heat.

WE-WPC300 ( thats between $6-10 more than the other 2)

All of these stands have a sponge on the base to wipe your tip clean included ( should for the $ they ask lol).

Basically any iron will work, but some have options regarding heat and tip style.You could spend $12 at radio shack, but that POS is going to be causing you grief later.

Up to you man.

Edit: BTW when getting an iron you will need solder..... a small tube will probably be plenty for you.

60/40 is normal use and will do fine.... they sell Kester there

http://www.action-electronics.com/kester.htm

Wow that took awhile...............

Good Luck

muzz

PimpJack
02-02-2003, 04:36 PM
If all u need it for is ocasional volt mods then just get an iron from ur local readio shack. I paid $8 for a kit that included solder and handy tool. Its a straight "stick" with a nice point on it 30watts. Worked great and couldn't ask for more. The advantage of a gun is that u don't have to wait for it to heat up. I had to wait 3min for mine to be ready. MAybe the expensive ones above are quick but i think its a waist of money.

JAWS
02-02-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by PimpJack
If all u need it for is ocasional volt mods then just get an iron from ur local readio shack. I paid $8 for a kit that included solder and handy tool. Its a straight "stick" with a nice point on it 30watts. Worked great and couldn't ask for more. The advantage of a gun is that u don't have to wait for it to heat up. I had to wait 3min for mine to be ready. MAybe the expensive ones above are quick but i think its a waist of money.

I'll second that! The one I bought from RD was fine for the occasional volt mod. (that's until I found the grabbers of course)

Jeff
02-02-2003, 05:27 PM
I'm with you muzz... there's nothing like a quality iron. ;)

muzz
02-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, so I hear what you are saying about cost per mod ( if ya must put it that way), and yeah he could easily buy a RS iron and be fine.......

When it comes to tools I buy quality.. I like to have options, and I DON"T want to be wasting time dickin around with a tool when I need it, that to me is worse then anything- you bought it to do a job( that means you either went to the store-which takes some of your time, or ordered it- which took time, and you already paid for it once- you wouldn't let your boss waste your time without getting paid would ya? How much is that time worth to ya?), and if it dont work what good is it when ya gotta fk with it, find out it don't work, NOT be able to do what ya wanted to, and then to top it off HAVE to get ANOTHER 1 ,whether it be driving to the store , or even worse having to have it shipped to ya.
I can say this because I've used the RS irons, and while they worked they would not stand up over time... even though they are cheap and do work, I would prefer to buy something once, even if I don't use it alot, and know that whatever I throw at it it will work even if it is 10+ years from now.

I understand what you guys are saying, and even agree with ya to some extent..... but then my brain takes over and I remember the hassles I went through with my old crappy irons that didn't work right when i needed them...... I used to build alot of stuff from scratch ( most tube linears and stuff), and in my situation they got alot of use, so I personally thought the extra cost was WELL worth it.
Like anything it's all in how you look at it........... I understand what you guys are saying..
All personal preference :)
It's all cool:toast: