PDA

View Full Version : Comptuer Problems.. Freeze/Reboot/BSOD

ThePunkerGuy
01-30-2003, 09:06 PM
Ok, i am having a problem with one of my computers.
- Here is the problem. The computer will either just get a blue screen of death when it wants, reboot when it wants, and sometimes it freezes up when its booting, even before it starts loading windows.
- Here is what i have tried already.
1. RMAed motherboard and got brand new one
2. Tested ram for 48 hours straight with Memtest86
3. Swaped PSU out with new one
4. Tried assorted Video cards (agp and pci)
5. Removed all pci cards
6. Bought new HSF (Volcano 6CU)
6. Format HD
7. Disabling onboard sound
- Here is the system's specs
*Athlon XP 1900+
*ECS K7S5A mobo
*384mb Kingston PC2100
*Western Digital 40gig 7200rpm ATA100 HD
*300 Watt PSU
*Unknown Brand GeForce3 TI200
*Volcano 6CU
*Floppy Drive
*NEC ZIP100 drive
*TDK 16X CDRW Drive
*Samsung 8X DVD Drive
*Using: onboard sound, onboard lan
*Windows XP Home Ed.

Where do i go next? This is very annoying!
- Mike

CCW
01-31-2003, 02:49 AM
Hi,
Im not an expert but heres what I did. Took all components out, one at a time and booted up after each one had been taken out until I had a bare system. Spose then if your still getting problems test each component individually, then if they are all clear its one of the others. Add one component, test then take out. Add another test then take out. Its a long process but gives you a feeling of self-satisfaction once you've overcome your problem :D

Sorry I cant be of more help but this method always works for. it could also been down to a certain piece of software, are you overclocking?

Craig

felix88
01-31-2003, 02:52 AM
do you have the correct drivers installed? are you running the newest BIOS?

other than that, CCW has a good start for you.

ThePunkerGuy
01-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Ok, well its not software, because i have formated the drive down to nothing and it still has the problem. No, i am not overclocking. And yes, i have all the correct drivers installed and have tried all different types of drivers. And I have tried CCWs way .. thats what i always do when fixing comps, but this time it isnt helping. All i have in the system right now is the motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. (plus cd drives, zip, and floppy drive). Just enough stuff so that it will work. I guess it has to be either HD, CPU, or CDDrives. Does it sound like any of those could be it.. arrg! this so annoying!
- Mike

CCW
01-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by ThePunkerGuy
Ok, well its not software, because i have formated the drive down to nothing and it still has the problem. No, i am not overclocking. And yes, i have all the correct drivers installed and have tried all different types of drivers. And I have tried CCWs way .. thats what i always do when fixing comps, but this time it isnt helping. All i have in the system right now is the motherboard, cpu, ram and video card. (plus cd drives, zip, and floppy drive). Just enough stuff so that it will work. I guess it has to be either HD, CPU, or CDDrives. Does it sound like any of those could be it.. arrg! this so annoying!
- Mike

Hi Mike,

Just to point out that CD, floppy and zip dont count as part of being bare mininmum, you dont need them to run the system (unless installing an op system in which case you only need a CD-ROM drive). These are not needed for the computer to work in the way that, a cpu, mobo, ram, graphics and hard drive are.

Have these been fully tested? Also, from your original post it sounds as if you have a lot of spare hardware. Once you have a bare miniumu system running ,try different RAM, processot, etc only one at a time to determine whether one of these is causing your problem. Hope you get it sorted soon.

Craig

ThePunkerGuy
01-31-2003, 10:14 PM
Yeah, i know that the cd drive and floppy arent bare minimums.. i am not a novice, i have beem building computers for several years (not being a smart butt, just letting ya know that i do know stuff about computers). But i got a few ideas i will try later.
- Mike

CCW
02-01-2003, 12:22 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to cause offence!

Craig

Keeper
02-01-2003, 06:25 AM
What brand of PSU do you use?

300 watts is pretty weak for your system IMO.

You might try another HD cable as well.

ThePunkerGuy
02-01-2003, 10:14 AM
I already replaced the HD cable. Here is the case and psu combo i am using.. got it from newegg. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=N82E16811154003
i have another computer in my house running an Athlon xp 1800, ATI Radeon 8500le, 3 hard drives, cd drive, and 4pci cards, and it has a 300 watt psu and case i bought from newegg also. that comptuer doesnt have any problem and i swapped the PSUs on the two comptuers and the computer still has the problem, but the 1800 runs fine as usual
- Mike