PDA

View Full Version : G-Skill ZX 2x 1GB + DFI NF4 Ultra-D: where is the bottleneck?

Mastakilla
02-22-2006, 12:27 PM
A lil word in advance

Hi mr Gskill-Technician-man + others...

I have my DFI NF4 Ultra-D mobo for a lil over a year now and had quite some probs with it allready...

first i had a Winchester 3200+ that hardly could do 2400mhz...
i also had 2x 512MB Corsair PC4400C25 RAM which actually clocked pretty good (300mhz wasnt really a problem)

in the very beginning this ran all fine, but after awhile i started getting VERY random bluescreens
this was not at all related to stressing or overclocking the pc, i could prime, occt, memtest, game, 3dmark for days... and underclocking or absurd low memory timings or ANY other setting i tried (and trust me, i tried), didnt help...
at that time i was allready planning to upgrade my :banana::banana::banana::banana:ty winchester to a 3200+ venice, so i just let the random bluescreen be in the hope the venice would fix all...

but when i got the venice i noticed something very strange:
regardless of the random bluescreens (which werent fixed by the venice i discovered awhile later :( (sometimes it takes days/weeks for the bluescreen to come, sometimes i had more then 1 / day)), i noticed that both the venice AND the winchester werent stable (occt stable fe) at stock speed :?
i had to increase the FSB above +-210mhz to get stability back

so i started thinking it was the dfi mobo was broke, i contacted dfi and my shop, and eventually i went back to the shop to test the mobo...
they told me there, they have had more problems with DFI + corsair combinations, and they wanted to try some of their ocz mem first...
so they tried it, and yes, stability returned at stock speed.....
so i couldnt rma the mobo

then i tried rma-ing the corsair memory
i posted http://www.houseofhelp.com/v2/showthread.php?p=221488&posted=1 for the ramguy, and he told me to try a new bios and his settings first
i had tried REALLY every possible setting with loose memory timings (2.5 and 3) since i know that RAM doesnt really enjoy cas 2 normally
but the ramguy told me to try some cas 2 settings, and by miracle, these solved the instability at stock speed...

so i couldnt rma the corsair ram either

then came a period it ran quite ok (sometimes that random bluescreen) so i just let it be

then i decided to go for some extreme fun ;)

i bought nice watercooling stuff, i removed the heatspreader of my venice, i replaced the stock heatsink on my dfi mobo and after ALOT of :banana::banana::banana::banana:ting around i got it all installed very nicely (it was my first watercooling ;))
atm my cpu becomes 30°C max, my hds are all cooled by the stacker, my pwm ic becomes 34°C max, my chipset becomes 32°C max etc
EVERYTHING is cooled VERY well atm
so i hoped the random bluescreens to dissapear completely finally (allthough i actually knew it wasnt really temperature related)

but they didnt,
they came back even more frequently
but this time they werent as random as they used to be...
often it had to do with network activity (http.sys bluescreens) but still they also happened quite random sometimes

so i became really pissed at the corsair ram, and decided to buy something else...

tze problems and questions

i bought 2x 1GB gskill zx, even though i had read the latest batch of sticks werent so good anymore (but the price was ok, and i didnt really need it to run at 270mhz... 250mhz or even perhaps 240mhz would make me happy enough allready)

but the nightmare wasnt over yet, the bluescreens didnt dissapear

so i went looking the internet once more...

after alot of searching around, i recently disabled the SSDP Discovery Service which is rumoured to have something to do with those http.sys bluescreens, and since then (a couple of days ago) i didnt have any bluescreens anymore...

so i hope that problem is solved now...

now all above is actually off topic information, but i thought it might be usefull for the problem i wanted to get solved in here...

when i got the new gskill ram, i first chked if it was stable at stock settings, and that it was...
so then i tried seeing how far it could go... so i downclocked my cpu from 300x9mhz (rockstable with the corsair, except for those random bluescreens ;)) to 10x 200mhz, and started increasing the fsb step by step
with stock settings (cas 2) i could get till +-210mhz (no miracle, no disaster)
then with cas 2.5 3 2 5 i could get till 235mhz...
with this i mean, it started booting windows
when i lowered the fsb to 230mhz i could boot and run occt for 1 min max
i increased to cas 3 4 4 8 and tried again, but nothing changed
so i began trying other memory settings...
after 2 hours of trying the most common settings i decided to look for a more stable speed, i found out that 225mhz with loose timings could occt for 37mins
so i decreased to 220mhz and went to bed
next morning i see occt has failed after 8 hours (which i consider pretty stable)
in the evening, i went looking for speed very close to being very unstable (this allows for precise trial and erroring the settings)
i found out that 229mhz would fail occt after 3, max 4 mins
so if a setting increased that time to 4+ min i knew it was better, and if it became below 3 min i knew it was worse
it has never occt'ed longer then 4 min... only lower or no booting
i tried for about 8 hours of trial and erroring settings
first i searched for optimal settings for memory settings that are known to 'make a difference', for those settings i tried all posibilitys
then with these setup as good as possible, i went trial and erroring the more uncommon settings, i also tried all 'sane' combinations with those
after i setup the more uncommon settings too, i went trial and erroring the more common settins once more...
still i couldnt get more then 229mhz... :(
i also tried alot of different voltages for cpu and ram
and multiplier 9 instead of 10
nothing helpes

it really would supprise if there would exist a possible way of setting it up more stable that havent tried...

220mhz is the maximum speed i could get it stable enough

now my questions:
1) heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ;) give me the miracle settings that can get me to 240mhz at least :)
2) it seems like there is a brick wall somewhere, but i dont know where... is it POSSIBLE that this is a limit of the memory of itself?
it clearly doesnt matter at all what memory settings i use, as long as they are a bit reasonable for such a low speed
3) if it isnt possible that this is a limit of the memory, then where lies the damn brick wall somewhere?
4) if its the a limit of the memory, is it possible then to get switched somehow? i know its stable at its rated speed, but there might be something like consumer appreciation that u might wanne pay attention too ;)

after my 'bad' luck with my winchester (2400mhz max with stock cooler) and my venice (2560hmz max with stock cooler, 2700mhz max with watercooling) i didnt expect too much from the gskill ram i think
but i think that 220mhz max for this mem is even alot below my worst expectations

i really hope someone somehow can help me out, because since i have my new pc ive been spending non stop with hardly any improvememt :(

greetings,

Mastakilla

edit:
i forgot to mention that i also tried each stick in all 4 slots alone, but this didnt help anything either, with a single stick the results were exactly the same...

edit2:
i also forgot to test the memory dividers ;) but i just did now, and that also doesnt help anything :(

the only thing i can now still think of tryin is another bios...

which one do u advice?

GSKILL TECH
02-22-2006, 02:03 PM
let me think about seomthing it 1st then i will reply :)

Mastakilla
03-02-2006, 05:36 AM
any news?
ill notify the shop where i bought the sticks of this thread too...

perhaps i can still exchange it with the "1 month return policy" i should have because i bought it over the internet...?

thx

GSKILL TECH
03-02-2006, 08:55 AM
any news?
ill notify the shop where i bought the sticks of this thread too...

perhaps i can still exchange it with the "1 month return policy" i should have because i bought it over the internet...?

thx
i tried to got all the hardware that same as yours at lab but later on i forget about the this...

you can exchange it and see the next pair does better or not.
and test them 1 by 1 and see how it does on overclock

Mastakilla
03-02-2006, 12:02 PM
thx for trying, now only the remembering is left ;)

as i mentioned in my edit of my first reply:

edit:
i forgot to mention that i also tried each stick in all 4 slots alone, but this didnt help anything either, with a single stick the results were exactly the same...

i also asked my shop what to do and they point me in the direction of eurotech@gskill.com

so i will point them to this thread too then if its allright?
or are you perhaps eurotech@gskill.com - man allready?

Mastakilla
03-09-2006, 01:13 AM
but no one who can tell me if it is my ram or something else (some setting somewhere, cpu, mobo, ...) that is causing this bottleneck?

btw:
Those bluescreens seem FINALLY completely solved

I havent had a bluescreen for a couple of weeks now already since i disabled that SSDP Discovery Service

But the speed issues with the Gskill RAM remain

shilent
03-21-2006, 06:40 PM
A lil word in advance
when i got the new gskill ram, i first chked if it was stable at stock settings, and that it was...
so then i tried seeing how far it could go... so i downclocked my cpu from 300x9mhz (rockstable with the corsair, except for those random bluescreens ;)) to 10x 200mhz, and started increasing the fsb step by step
with stock settings (cas 2) i could get till +-210mhz (no miracle, no disaster)
then with cas 2.5 3 2 5 i could get till 235mhz...
with this i mean, it started booting windows
when i lowered the fsb to 230mhz i could boot and run occt for 1 min max
i increased to cas 3 4 4 8 and tried again, but nothing changed
so i began trying other memory settings...
after 2 hours of trying the most common settings i decided to look for a more stable speed, i found out that 225mhz with loose timings could occt for 37mins
so i decreased to 220mhz and went to bed
next morning i see occt has failed after 8 hours (which i consider pretty stable)
in the evening, i went looking for speed very close to being very unstable (this allows for precise trial and erroring the settings)
i found out that 229mhz would fail occt after 3, max 4 mins
so if a setting increased that time to 4+ min i knew it was better, and if it became below 3 min i knew it was worse
it has never occt'ed longer then 4 min... only lower or no booting
i tried for about 8 hours of trial and erroring settings
first i searched for optimal settings for memory settings that are known to 'make a difference', for those settings i tried all posibilitys
then with these setup as good as possible, i went trial and erroring the more uncommon settings, i also tried all 'sane' combinations with those
after i setup the more uncommon settings too, i went trial and erroring the more common settins once more...
still i couldnt get more then 229mhz... :(
i also tried alot of different voltages for cpu and ram
and multiplier 9 instead of 10
nothing helpes

it really would supprise if there would exist a possible way of setting it up more stable that havent tried...

220mhz is the maximum speed i could get it stable enough

now my questions:
1) heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp ;) give me the miracle settings that can get me to 240mhz at least :)
2) it seems like there is a brick wall somewhere, but i dont know where... is it POSSIBLE that this is a limit of the memory of itself?
it clearly doesnt matter at all what memory settings i use, as long as they are a bit reasonable for such a low speed
3) if it isnt possible that this is a limit of the memory, then where lies the damn brick wall somewhere?
4) if its the a limit of the memory, is it possible then to get switched somehow? i know its stable at its rated speed, but there might be something like consumer appreciation that u might wanne pay attention too ;)

after my 'bad' luck with my winchester (2400mhz max with stock cooler) and my venice (2560hmz max with stock cooler, 2700mhz max with watercooling) i didnt expect too much from the gskill ram i think
but i think that 220mhz max for this mem is even alot below my worst expectations

i really hope someone somehow can help me out, because since i have my new pc ive been spending non stop with hardly any improvememt :(

greetings,

Mastakilla

edit:

edit2:
i also forgot to test the memory dividers ;) but i just did now, and that also doesnt help anything :(

the only thing i can now still think of tryin is another bios...

which one do u advice?

I bought the same memory as you and 210 is also my max at stock timings. I purchased mines from Newegg in Jan 2006. If I raise the CAS to 2.5, 220 is completely stable (memtest overnight). I think 225 is stable too, I just didn't test long enough, so I just leave it at 220 for now until I get a better heatsink for my CPU (currently at 270x9 w/ mem divider using stock cooler).

I've tested the sticks individually and it turns out only 1 of the sticks doesn't want to go over 225 no matter what timings I use. The other stick would go up to 240 (haven't tested higher).

Looks like you and me weren't so lucky compared to everyone else. I've also read somewhere (I think it was these forums?) where G.S Technician said something about Infineon shipping them "cheaper" chips. I could be wrong, don't quote me on that.

Anyway the good news is, A64's aren't held back by memory speed anymore, unlike the AXP's. At 270x9=2430 (mem is at 220 using a divider) 2.5-3-5-2 1T, I'm getting similar results on Super PI 1MB (I'm getting 34 secs) with people running their mem at 250+. At 260x10 (again with divider mem at 210) I got 32 secs, but my Venice 3200+ wasn't stable, probably because I'm still using the stock cooler.

Hope this helps.

Mastakilla
04-27-2006, 08:40 AM
i exchanged my ZX ram for HZ ram for 10 euro at the shop i bought them

now im running 100% stable at 10x270mhz :)

it booted in windows till 9x285mhz even, but my venice cant handle 10x285mhz so im running 10x270mhz

/me is happy again ;)

Houdini
04-28-2006, 03:16 AM
I had my ZX going 265mhz 3.3.3.5 1T...

Currently 255mhz 3.3.3.5 1T on asus sli pre with 3700 (2800mhz)