PDA

View Full Version : Corroded brakes - anything to be done or new disks?

uOpt
02-21-2006, 09:42 AM
A friend of mine owns a car which has been standing for 10 months, in New England.

The brake disks are visibly covered with rust, and only the drive wheels turn at this time, the back wheels are blocked solid.

Is there anything that can be done to the disks to get them back or is this a case of new disks and pads?

RyderOCZ
02-21-2006, 10:16 AM
If the rotors can be taken off the car, are of sufficient thickness, and are not totally rotted, they can be re-machined by a shop to put them in working order.

The biggest problem I think you will have is that the Brake Calipers are going to be seized up and no longer function properly.

You should also completely drain the brake fluid and put fresh in, Moisture gets built up from non use and water destroys brake fluid.

uOpt
02-21-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah, looks there is nothing I can do for that car.

The antiblock warning light goes on and off, indicating at least some of the calipers are hosed.

I pushed a little more from the engine and the rear wheels just slide over the asphal. My friend said "we should at least get a third wheel to turn so that we have some steering" which sums it up pretty well :)

I think this is a case for a "take away your old car for cash" service :(

Thanks for your help.

4everCS
02-21-2006, 11:41 AM
Yeah, better jump on ebay and shop for some new caliper's, rotors and pads.