PDA

View Full Version : How to remove IHS and install STORM?

topaimz
02-20-2006, 11:10 AM
From what I hear the procedure goes...

Take a thin blade of anysort, keep it leveled, not on an anggle so that you may damage the inside of the cpu, under the IHS
Starting from the corner, slowly saw/cut yoru way around the IHS
You have just voided your Warrenty, gg no re :slapass:
Place the cpu on the motherboard; which has not been installed into your chasis yet, and is flat on the ground (or MBtray)
Bring your STORM, which has the hoses/tubes already connected (so you don't crush the core while fidgittin to install the tubes, clamps etc.)
Place the STORM with minimal force onto the bare cpu
Keeping pressure as even as possible, install the STORM, and do not tighten as much, just enough so you feel/see the copper base is in good enough contact with the core (I guess you gotta use your sixth sense or something to not crush your itty bitty core in the process :eek: )

This is my speculation on what your suppose to do with a bare core when you're installing the STORM water block on it.
If I'm wrong (which is highly likely) please tell me what I did wrong and how I can fix it. Help moi, the WC nub, to become a "novice" :D

Pyr0
02-20-2006, 11:20 AM
basically, yes, that's it
i also removed the cpu bracket from my dfi board so i didn't need to mess about with washers etc.

see this thread:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84186

the pics there by MaxxxRacer show how it should be done :up:
although i just used the standard screws cos i couldn't find any 3 inch 6/32 screws with wingnuts anywhere over here, everything's metric :(

[486]
02-20-2006, 05:02 PM
and make stacks of tape on the sides like the athlon-xp had except use tape so the socket 939 2 bolt mount wiggles dont crush the core :poke: :fight: :spam:

racinjimy
02-20-2006, 06:06 PM
you can actually get a good amount of pressure as long as it is applied evenly from side to side

the only way you crush the core installing the STORM is if you mount it on an angle and chip the side of the core, I guess if you are a complete idiot you could destroy it no matter what precautions you take

as far as blades for IHS removal; old school safety razors work best, cut it in half and use electrical tape to create a "handle" and limit how deep you can cut..............almost foolproof with the same preamble about being an idiot

just try to stay as close to the IHS as possible with the blade, go slow and use a THIN blade

the easiest place to start is at the gap that is already there in the black silicone around th IHS

LazyBum
02-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I just did mine today, wasn't too terribly difficult, although having the fate of a >$400 processor in my clumsy mitts gave me the shakes for a bit. Angry Games from DFI-Street made a video on how to remove the IHS, after watching it you will get a better idea. I used a double edged razor blade, cut in half. These blades are so thin (and sharp) that you are unlikely to damage any of the other components under the IHS by going too deep. I put a couple wraps of electrical tape around the end of it to use as a handle, and just cut around very carefully.
My block is the Apogee, which mounts exactly the same as the Storm. As far as mounting, I had my watercooling set up already with the IHS on, so I just unbolted the block, popped the top, put the CPU back in the socket, and rebolted the block, all with the hoses still attatched. The only thing different I did was not using the little plastic spacers that go between the waterblock and mobo, they would be too big with the IHS off. Now I need to get a Storm :D

afireinside
02-20-2006, 06:21 PM
Jam a razor under each corner then cut around. Go slow, be careful, and don't go to deep.

Remove AMD bracket

DO NOT PUT TAPE ON THE SMDs!!! This is utterly pointless, messy, and has been known to cause trouble. There is absolutly NO REASON to do it.

Tighten storm down as usual using even pressure. Tighten until you can not turn it any more.

Enjoy lower temps and higher OC

Bail_w
02-20-2006, 08:03 PM
tighten until you can not turn anymore?

that mean just like mudering your CPU?

afireinside
02-20-2006, 08:15 PM
Nope. I tighten my MCW6002 down on naked dies until it gets hard to turn without forcefuly pushing down on the screw driver to stop it from slipping out of the screw. I tighten my dice units down until the board won't power on then loosen a bit. It's safe as long as the pressure is even.

WeStSiDePLaYa
02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
i also tighten down as much as you can, and make sure to protect the smd's, i accidently crushed a few :(

and i suggest using a blade from a face razor with tape handle. works real good because its so thin.