PDA

View Full Version : Computer just died, need advice

Nerangdoor
02-18-2006, 03:02 PM
A month ago I bought a new system and everything went well until today (1 month), I was watching a movie on television when I heard that all fans on the computer just died, all hardware aswell (computer was idling). nothing was on but the light from the network cable. I tried to restart it but nothing happended. I switched the 0-1 switch on and off on the powersupply and tried again but nothing, dead as a rock. Not even the led on the motherboard that is always on is on

So I'm guessing it is the powersupply that is fried, two of the chassi fans are directly connected to the powersupply should these be on if the powersupply is on and working even if the motherboard is dead?

specs:
seasonic s12 500w
a8n32-sli
amd x2 3800+ @2400Mhz
2048mb corsair value ram
samsung 250Gb SATA2
xfx 7800gt

Is there a way to test the powersupply, I dont have another computer to try it on, nor do I have a voltage meter.

A few questions but I hope I could get some answers, I dont want to send back the powersupply if it is another part that is dead. But as I said nothing is working, its stone dead.

alexio
02-18-2006, 03:24 PM
http://www.duxcw.com/faq/ps/psconnshort.gif

Connect the two holes of the ATX power connector like in the picture, a second is enough. You can use a copper wire for this. Just deconnect the psu from the system and run a fan from one of the molexes. It's dead if it doesn't do anything.

Nerangdoor
02-18-2006, 03:42 PM
there was something in the way of the onboard led, it does shine, but can it still be the powersupply? if it is the graphics card I think the system should boot atleast and give some kind of error bips. is this the same with any hardware? what is the most likely error now when the onboard led is on, still the PSU?

alexio
02-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Boot it up with only the things necesairy to boot. So disconnect all drives and use only one memory module. If this works fine then start adding components untill it doesn't work anymore, this is to determen what the faulty component is.

If you have another psu it's also possible to try this one first before using the above procedure.

I suspect that it's your motherboard. If that's the case it is not going to boot up even with most things disconnected or a new psu.

Good luck.

Nerangdoor
02-18-2006, 03:53 PM
ok I think I have a 350w PSU lying will try tomorrow, if I disconnect dvd harddrive it will probably be able to boot with that. if it boots I turn it of instantly.

cmay119
02-18-2006, 09:55 PM
Yes, a faulty PSU can still light the LEDs on the motherboard, because they work off the +5v Standby rail (I believe). Anyways, try a different PSU, if that doesn't work, you'll have to swap parts until you find the culprit.

nn_step
02-18-2006, 10:53 PM
Spare parts will become your new best friend.. Cheap+working=what you need to test..

Serra
02-18-2006, 11:07 PM
I'm guessing PSU.

If it was the RAM alone you'd still be able to hit your power button and have your fans start, same with processor I believe.