PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Temp comparison Thread: Your Thoughts?

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 04:17 AM
For a long time now the Temp Comparison Thread has been sticking out at me like a 10 foot tall weed that needed to be chopped down, but I have left it alone as it seems to be a rather popular thread, and has been here since nearly the begining of XS.

You may ask, why take it down? Well there is a very simple explanation. The temps reported in that thread are TOTALY useless and thus the thread is completely useless.. It doesnt even serve a purpose to increase ones epeen.

So I bring the question to the WC'ing ppl of XS. Should we keep it or ditch it?

Post your comments and vote in the pole.

creidiki
02-18-2006, 04:29 AM
Remove the glue...

Leeum
02-18-2006, 04:35 AM
I'd say remove it. The results aren't valid unless they're all tested in the same environment so to speak - there are so many things that can cause temperature variation.

chew*
02-18-2006, 07:15 AM
hehe like my 19c loaded screenshot with an asetek waterchill pro......mounted outside window in the winter....

topaimz
02-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Switch it to a more recent testing results!

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 09:03 AM
topaimz what does that mean?

Serra
02-18-2006, 09:11 AM
I say unsticky it now and re-post it as a review-style thread that only mods can post to (getting content from people who PM them I guess). I'd like to see a thread where people who post things like ambient temps, take multiple readings, calculate delta's etc. on different setups/styles, preferably with pics included.

my 2c

Serra

topaimz
02-18-2006, 09:23 AM
I dunno what I meant :S

Im loosing it I guess @.@;;

Been obsessed over WC'ing for the week.
Been up till 3 in the morning every night reading up on anything I could
find related to WC...

I need sleep :D

Anyways I wish they could setup a page where you can go in, input the parts you have (customize the build) and out comes the approximate temp results... that would be cool... if I only had data I could set up a webpage like that >.< but Imma poor bugger so I can't find temp results myself.

P.S.
If thats a modified radiator your cat is sleeping on, its gonna leave a mark.

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 10:07 AM
serra, that would be a great idea except for the fact that temperature measurements are 99% of the time taken by the onboard sensors which are useless and why the current thread isnt exactly very useful.

topaimz, that would be great. I COULD code a program to do that (it would be command line based, not menu driven) but the problem is that no such compilation of data exists. to do so would require an entire labratory full of equipment, and a team of ppl who know what they are doing working for atleast a month.. oh ya, and you need to get ALL of the different components to test with.

Suffice to say that only someone with say.. 150k in spare cash could undertake..

My cat is sleeping on my dads Sony E540 21inch monitor.

racinjimy
02-18-2006, 10:14 AM
never ever looked at that thread until right now...........................let it die

topaimz
02-18-2006, 10:49 AM
LoL, either your cat is pretty small or that monitor is big enough to support the litl dude, or dudette (which every gender you cat is).

And on the data wise, why don't you just incorporate whats already out there? The thread that is debated right now has some data on it.

Or first make a page with multiple menus where you can pick their setup and people just list their temps on it. Let the people come to ya with info, not the other way around ;)

If you need help, I can help ya summarize some info thats already in the threads on all around other forums.

I know it won't be the most accurate readings, since not all of us possess the uber'ness
that is you (with your cutomized cpus), but it'll be good for reference for nubs like moi.

Plus if this is setup well, people will become members of this forum just to try the temp predictor out :D CHARGE em $ per useage! muahahahaha! :P

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 11:13 AM
the monitor is rather huge, weighing in at 70lbs. My cat (female) is about 10 pounds.

The data in those threads is totaly useles as its all taken by onboard sensors. and compiling data like that from all those highly varried systems would do someone more harm than good.

UnreaL
02-18-2006, 11:21 AM
the monitor is rather huge, weighing in at 70lbs. My cat (female) is about 10 pounds.

The data in those threads is totaly useles as its all taken by onboard sensors. and compiling data like that from all those highly varried systems would do someone more harm than good.

Not sure why you'd compile data from it, but its useless all the same

1) temp monitoring useless
2) ambient differences
3) setup differences
4) different app to read temps
5) differences in measurement of 'load' sustained etc.
6) plain lying on readings

748) I have never sat down and read thread, viewed first and last page... I really see no need/point in it.

I'd unsticky it, if it remains alive then its useful - if not it'll just die.
Top of the board looks a mess at the moment.

Bloody_Sorcerer
02-18-2006, 02:19 PM
MAKE IT DIE! it is offensive to like everything we're always preaching.

enno
02-18-2006, 02:56 PM
up to you max, it don't affecting me :P LOL

topaimz
02-18-2006, 03:03 PM
if I win the lottery, I'll set up a lab in Canada :D

I'll even pay for your airfair and accomadation if that hapens :D

P.S.
I got a Samsung 240T which is either 24" or 21" (haven't measured it)
My dog tried to climb up on it, and broke the neck lol.
If I till the monitor forward more then 80degrees \ , it falls flat on its face.
Now that I think about it I wanna punish him, but I don't wanna die a
horrible death...

Nicksterr
02-18-2006, 03:37 PM
As long as people state what sensors they are using (on-die or external) and what motherboard brand/vid card brand they are using, I don't see why we can't leave it.

The reason why I say name mobo brand, is because certain motherboard manufacturers have been known to take VERY different readings:

http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_01.html

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 04:02 PM
nick that would be fine if every ultra-d (or whatever mobo) read the same way. I can put my cpu in 10 different ultra-ds and it will measure differntly. I tested 4 of them myself when DFI sent me 5 ultra-D.s... every single one responded differently with regards to temps.

creidiki
02-18-2006, 04:06 PM
I wish there was a way to calibrate your mobo. I can set up post-calibration in systool, but i have no reference so i would just be shooting blanks.

Maybe i can build a sink with a t-probe sort of like that 3200+ youre making max - probe sits right on top of the die, you slap it on, calibrate temps, repeat for vcard... i could use the stock sink.

phextwin
02-18-2006, 06:49 PM
the monitor is rather huge, weighing in at 70lbs. My cat (female) is about 10 pounds.p1130?

You could edit the first post with a caveat in large red text.

something like:

THESE TEMPS ARE USELESS, IGNORE THEM!(bigger text of course)

Then link to someplace saying why (or even write it in the first post)
It would serve as a constant reminder as to why they all suck.

Major
02-18-2006, 06:56 PM
For a long time now the Temp Comparison Thread has been sticking out at me like a 10 foot tall weed that needed to be chopped down, but I have left it alone as it seems to be a rather popular thread, and has been here since nearly the begining of XS.

You may ask, why take it down? Well there is a very simple explanation. The temps reported in that thread are TOTALY useless and thus the thread is completely useless.. It doesnt even serve a purpose to increase ones epeen.

So I bring the question to the WC'ing ppl of XS. Should we keep it or ditch it?

Post your comments and vote in the pole.

The thread is actuall sorta dangerous in my opinion, I think we should remove the sticky and let it die ;)

WeStSiDePLaYa
02-18-2006, 08:36 PM
the results are comparitive and can be very usefull if looked at objectively. its a chance for people to look at others with similiar hardware and setups and compare temps. its not accurate, but can provide a general idea. everything ive ever tested has shown temps arent off THAT much, from gpu's, to cpu's to hdds, usually like +/- 5C. which is accurate enough to get a idea if something is wrong in a setup.

MaxxxRacer
02-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Well I think the users have spoken... It gets unsticked.

No need for a warning at the begining of the thread. I give it a week before it falls in the depths of the XS archives, never to be seen from again.

Nicksterr
02-19-2006, 12:14 AM
nick that would be fine if every ultra-d (or whatever mobo) read the same way. I can put my cpu in 10 different ultra-ds and it will measure differntly. I tested 4 of them myself when DFI sent me 5 ultra-D.s... every single one responded differently with regards to temps.

That would be expected I guess, since nothing is ever the exact same. What were the temperature fluctuations?

MaxxxRacer
02-19-2006, 01:14 AM
I dont recal exactly (its been 1.5 years) but it was large enough to alarm even the most casual of users.

Nicksterr
02-19-2006, 03:01 AM
I dont recal exactly (its been 1.5 years) but it was large enough to alarm even the most casual of users.

Okie Dokie.