PDA

View Full Version : Opteron 148 CACJE 0552 Results/need help

SkyGod
02-17-2006, 06:30 PM
I just got an opty 148 cacje 0552 right now I'm on stock cooling (waiting on my water setup)

Right out from the get go I got 250*11 (2750) on stock volts (auto) 1.36 in cpu z. I pushed it up to 260*11 and prime failed about 2 hours later so I bumped it up to 1.425 and it was stable. I bumped it up a little more to 165*11 and I was prime stable for 9 hours (eventually it did indeed fail) but I had to have Vcore up all the way to 1.525 (sorta high in my opinion) the temp was right about 45C (I supose thats ok for stock cooling)

Basically what I'm looking at is that anything over 1.425 volts doesnt do me much good. I need .1v just to get 5 mhz higher. Have I hit my wall @ 260*11?

Just to see if was my ram or mobo causing this I dropped the multi down to 10 and set my ram to 280 1:1 and its smooth sailing at this point so I'm assuming that the ram and mobo are good to go.

I'm thinking that maybe its the the temp causing the instability anything over 1.425 volts and the thing gets hot. As I recall after I bumped up the voltage I was getting about a 5-8C temp increase. Will watercooling help me with the lower voltage stability or will it just allow me to crank up the volts further?

How much voltage is safe on these chips? What do I need to be concerned with temp or overvolting (even if my temp is good) or both?

Anyways Thanks as always for the help :) I still have a few different ideas I want to tinker with but if there is something I should know or you have an idea by all meens let me know! Thanks

Absolute_0
02-17-2006, 06:38 PM
Definitely temp. The higher you go, the lower the temp needs to be to maintain stability. Sounds weird but IMO thats how it works.

Anyway... you're doing good so far, 2.92 is good for a stock heatsink. Just get better cooling.

SkyGod
02-17-2006, 07:07 PM
so with water I should see I higher speed yeild everytime I increase the volts? due to my temps being lower?