PDA

View Full Version : 8rda + prommie + di-electric grease = high temps?

DisposableHero
01-29-2003, 10:24 PM
just installed my prommie and the evap says -36 was at -48 without cpu attached and my 8rda is reporting 18 C temps positive!

i put dielectric grease in the socket so its probably covering the temp sensor but still... how do i know for sure?

Nick

bowman1964
01-30-2003, 04:33 AM
well i dont know about the promy ...but i do know about cold temps and the 8rda.

the 8rda has a vey poor temp reading.it doesnt read from the cpu diode.it reads from the socket diode.now this diode doesnt touch the cpu like a thermistor does.so it is off on the temps.but i found on mine to get a better reading try this.......
you need to completely fill the socket with dilelectric greese.this will help transfer the temp better.
my evaperator will be -40 but windows would read -2c or so not good enough.so i filled the socket and temps now are -15c or so.it will allways be off.untill they start reading temp from the cpu diode but this trick will help.:D

TechTones
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Hi DH

I'm Bondo from AOA :D

I too am getting high temps with my Prommy and 8RDA.

First it was +8, but as I started to OC more, it went much higher.

At 2741 mhz, the temps were +23 idle.

I have one of the newer units. It now comes with a heater coil in the back plate instead of foam now. I think this coil is heating up the thermistor from in back of the board. I'm going to unplug it tomorrow and see how it affects temps. Now these temps can't be right or how could I do a 2400+ at 2741 at +25 degrees?

I started a thread "The Prommy and the 8RMA" :cool:

bowman1964
02-04-2003, 04:32 AM
to give you some idea/my xp2600 running at 2750 is sitting @-18c and -11 under load reported by mbm.this is after i made sure of the socket was full of grease.used to read -4c or so without a socket full of grease:)

bowman1964
02-04-2003, 04:42 AM
Originally posted by bowman1964
well i dont know about the promy ...but i do know about cold temps and the 8rda.

the 8rda has a vey poor temp reading.it doesnt read from the cpu diode.it reads from the socket diode.now this diode doesnt touch the cpu like a thermistor does.so it is off on the temps.but i found on mine to get a better reading try this.......
you need to completely fill the socket with dilelectric greese.this will help transfer the temp better.
my evaperator will be -40 but windows would read -2c or so not good enough.so i filled the socket and temps now are -15c or so.it will allways be off.untill they start reading temp from the cpu diode but this trick will help.:D

i should have said ..but i forgot.
i used a square piece of foam to fill the socket then cut a small 1/4"square hole in the center.then i filled this hole with grease.
this way you are not trying to cool the whole socket area filled with grease,only a small area over the temp diode.the temps seam to read alot better and quicker this way.like i said before i now show -15c in mbm.:D

coldfusion71
02-17-2003, 11:15 PM
wrong thread