PDA

View Full Version : did i break my rdx-200?

kemist
02-17-2006, 12:17 PM
hey guys, i was putting a new chipset cooler on my rdx-200 and broke a little resistor/capcitor pack off of the back of the board, it is labeled ZC404 and is right next to the holes for the pins which hold the chipset fan on. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what this is/does and if i can fix it without soldering the pack back on; its about the size of a speck of dirt. :slap:

also, the iceberq 4 doesnt seem to work on the rdx-200 i tried to see if it was making contact with the northbridge, which had AS5 on it, and there was basically no transfer, it looks like caps/resistors on the front are higher than the NB.

kemist
02-18-2006, 01:29 AM
can anyone at least tell me if its a capacitor? If it is, does anyone think i can get away with just connecting the traces with a conductive pen?

G H Z
02-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Hard to say without a pic or a board to look at, fire it up and see what happens ;)

kemist
02-18-2006, 08:59 AM
Haha i would, but the only pci-e gfx card i has is my x1900xt and if something is screwy id really like to not kill that. Will get pics in a couple mins.

kemist
02-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Here are some pictures, you can see where i knocked the chip off, and what the chip kinda looked like. If anyone is going to try and replace the chipset fan on the rdx-200 be careful cuz the pack is right next to the pin as you can see.

persivore
02-18-2006, 10:09 AM
Clean up the damaged capacitor as well as you can, and make sure nothing is bridging the 2 connections.
There's a very good chance that the board will work fine without the capacitor.

kemist
02-18-2006, 12:42 PM
yea i cleaned it up since the pic, i was under the impression that the gap would have to be bridged though so that what ever the cap was supplying power to would get volts. Thats wrong?

haha, guess since pers is the xtreme vmod mod youd prob know a lot better than me, will fire it up tonight, it looks like the cap is related to the northbridge so we will see what happens.