PDA

View Full Version : Soldering Help?

gtcrispy
01-29-2003, 04:31 PM
Ok guys I've come to the conclusion I suck at soldering. I spent an hr trying to solder a resistor onto my video card to volt modded. Even had my friend come over and help me. He was better then I but no luck. His there anything i can use that i could put on the on the other pins so that no solder gets on them. I think this would make the process alot more simpler for me. I want to do the vmodd on my video card and also the VDD mod on my 8RDA. Thanks for the help. :)

Nohto
01-29-2003, 11:28 PM
You need to practice on a dead card first. Also, you need to use flux. It works wonders when trying to solder.

k1114
01-29-2003, 11:58 PM
Here is how I solder when im only making a couple small connections:

Have someone hold the wire against the point your soldering to (if you have steady hands to this with one hand and solder with the other) and then get a very small ball of solder on the iron. Touch the iron to the point+wire and thats it. I do this all the time although many people advise against doing it this way for some reason :confused:

tweaky
01-30-2003, 03:01 AM
If it works who cares which way you did it, right!? :D

muzz
01-30-2003, 09:28 AM
I've never used flux in my life.... except for plumbing:D

The best way to solder something is to first of all start off with a clean tip, and "Tin" ( put a THIN coating of solder on the wire or component leads that you are going to be soldering), then clean the tip ( put a little solder on it, and drag it over a clean sponge or rag ( don't let the rag catch fire- just drag it over it quick)... then apply a little solder to the tip RIGHT B4 you are going to actually make your connection( I don't use a "blob").

The actual soldering should take VERY little time ( if soldering surface mount components particularly) as the more time the iron is on the components, the more time it has to change the values, or outright destroy them from too much heat.

Of course this is just the way when doing little mods, as I haven't even brought in the actual applying of "extra" solder..... usually there is enough solder when tinned to do a mod on a board, without having to add more..... as if you are trying to add solder like instructions show, you will end up with too much most times, and may even short out traces/components that are very close by ( smd especially).

That should do it.

Of course these are just the way I do things....... but works everytime.

Nohto
01-30-2003, 09:45 AM
I've found that a little flux makes it easier for me. It helps the transfer from the tip to the componets of the solder. Like muzz said a clean and properly tinned tip will make all the difference.

gtcrispy
01-30-2003, 12:42 PM
Ah well I think I messed up my 9500 Pro even though it still works. I never did have the resistor on but I'm guessing when attempting to do so it got messed up. BF1942 locks up after a few screens and my computer keeps on freezing. Crap happens
:( Oh well.

muzz
01-30-2003, 01:40 PM
Did you take the vcard out and look at the area you tried to solder and see if there were any solder snots bridging pins?

When in question of that you can use a magnifying glass and double check it........, I use a magnifying light and a mag glass if I have any doubts......

If ya find any solder bridges you will have to use a solder sucker, or some desoldering braid to clear the bridge.

Good Luck

muzz

Holst
01-30-2003, 02:33 PM
The main thing is to practice allot.

Its very hard to explain how to solder or even show people.
Everybody has thre own way.

I tape the PCB to my desk (so it wont move)

Tin (put a bit of solder onto) the leg of the IC im soldering (only a very small ammount)

Then tin the wire or resistor your soldering, place it over the IC pin and gently melt the solder together.

To stop shorts allways insulate the wiring, heatshrink tubing is the best way.

Using the right tools is also very important, I have a draper rechargable soldring iron for very delicate stuff. Its very light and as there is no cord you can moe it about easily.

Dont solder if your tired, drunk or hungover :P

Nohto
01-30-2003, 02:43 PM
Dont solder if your tired, drunk or hungover :P
No :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:.:lol: I think that has applied to me on more than a couple screw ups.

muzz
01-30-2003, 03:21 PM
TBO i think most folks that have never soldered look at a tutorial that shows the iron/component/solder where you wick the solder from outside through the component........ that doesn't work very well in a tight environment..... hence the reason to make sure you tin b4 proceeding even more important.

They try and hold the solder, the iron, and the component ( hows that for a circus trick.? heheh) and solder into a small area ...... I would think doing it in that fashion would create a big mess( it did for me when I was a rook) , as well as quite a bit of shorts.

Practice is a good thing Holst.....:D

k1114
01-30-2003, 06:44 PM
oh yeah, and if I am doing something important (like the vdd mod I did) I always buy a brand new 1mm tip for the job. (it's only like $1.20 so its worth it)