PDA

View Full Version : compressor fry an egg ?

8itchmaker
01-29-2003, 09:58 AM
1st post hello all nice forum this

right question ;) ive removed all the cooling gear from the prommy case and stuck it in a pc76 complete with all fans and bits ala
the prom li pro / TOM VERSTEEG (top style)

but............

id never touched the compressor before this..... after the thing been running for 30 mins odd it is almost to hot to touch this normal :confused: as i dont wanna be putting my house out with a bucket of water :)

tanks :toast:

Charles Wirth
01-29-2003, 11:51 AM
You gotta cool the condensor better. Did you kink any of the copper tubing?

8itchmaker
01-29-2003, 02:41 PM
the condensor has got the 120mm sunnon on it and its cool to the touch . dont think any tube kink'd hmm maybe the stuff i cant see under the pipe lagging ? would the very thin gauge/bore stuff would cause this problem ?

bowman1964
01-30-2003, 04:37 AM
well it is not unnormal for the compressor to reach temps of 60c degrees.

the compressors that are running hot are the ones most of the time running colder evap temps.
unless somthing is wrong with the condensor.
mine will burn my hand if i leave it on long enough.

Umgawa
01-30-2003, 09:50 AM
Mine gets hot also. Works great.:)

Charles Wirth
01-30-2003, 10:08 AM
Oh yea, Welcome to Xtremesystems.

8itchmaker
01-30-2003, 01:20 PM
thanks all youve put my mind at ease :)

its runnin great xp2600 at 2660ghz solid

mike.elmes
01-30-2003, 08:48 PM
Bowman,

Do you know if the prom compressor could handle r404a, even if I void the warranty??

bowman1964
01-31-2003, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by mike.elmes
Bowman,

Do you know if the prom compressor could handle r404a, even if I void the warranty??
what i am about to tell you is not going to be told by vapo or promieta reps so if they knew they might get upset ..not sure..

the compressor will work fine with r404a the main reason they all use r134a is price...money....bottom line... the compressor will be able to handle r404 as it uses the same oil so you wont have any problems there.and no one could every tell you used r404 anyway if the system went down anyway..but using 404 would require a very good charge by a trained person or some time to get it right.
r404 is alot colder than r134...but you knew that already.but it will also remove more heat so inturn it will place a slightly increased load on the compressor.but nothing to worry about.
now the problem is the units are sealed from the factory.and you will have to tap into the system to change out refridgerants.......

that is where you will lose you warranty i think.not the refridgerant change but just tampering with the sealed system.if they dont mine you opening the system no one could every tell you swapped out the refridgerant.
heck i couuldnt tell if i was working on it......
so go for it .:D

mike.elmes
01-31-2003, 09:14 AM
Bowman, you are da man. I have 2 vapochill classics and a prom now and the bloom is off the rose so to speak regarding tampering with them. Is the r404a hard to obtain or restricted??

Why hasn't someone already done this mod....I mean we ARE xtreme!!!!