PDA

View Full Version : A8N32 chipset/mainboard temp - how hot is allowed/normal?

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 09:18 AM
I have just gotten my final parts for the A8N32, a XP-90c with papst 92mm.

Asus probe shows that CPU temp for Opteron 170 2.0GHz idle is 38 degrees celcius while mainboard temp is 43.

Last night I was trying to run BOINC on both cores and mainboard temp rose to 46, while CPU temp was 43. This made Asus probe send me a warning...

Now I am thinking - how hot is this passively cooled chipset supposed and allowed to run???

All these reading is with case open.....

Ic3man
02-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Something aint right there as the motherboard(ambient) temp should be lower than the CPU temp at all times unless your using coldwater/phase, which you obviously are not. I wouldn't worry about the CPU temp (aslong as it dont go much higher than 50c)...can't help you with motherboard temp. You can also turn off or alter the parameters at which you recieve warnings.

What bios are you using?

arctic-k20
02-14-2006, 09:45 AM
i know you are using air cooling but you may want to try out the fan for the chipset heat pipe......see if that helps out your temps.

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 10:12 AM
hey guys!

I am using BIOS 1009 (the board came with this!)

I also have 2 Nexus 80mm fans blowing air into the case from outside and over the 92mm papst sitting on top of the XP-90c.

Is there any "setting in" period for mainboard e.g is it normal to experience higher temps and a few problems the first couple of days????

pablo
02-14-2006, 10:14 AM
try the fan that came with the board. it might fit with that hs but im not sure. the fan will lower temps

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 10:24 AM
try the fan that came with the board. it might fit with that hs but im not sure. the fan will lower temps

Asus wrote a warming that this fan should ONLY be used with water cooling, as it would otherwise cause the system to become unstable.... :(

no_n|ck
02-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Asus wrote a warming that this fan should ONLY be used with water cooling, as it would otherwise cause the system to become unstable.... :(

not true at all..why would become unstable?? put the fan on + i use 80mm fan wich is blowing on south bridge where the tem sensor is - mine mb temps are 30 on idle and 34 on load..

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 11:01 AM
btw. do you guys also experience a lot of electrical buzzing from the onboard sound???

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 11:09 AM
Hmm... in their review, silentpcreview.com reports that the A8N32 really uses a lot of juice..

http://silentpcreview.com/article299-page5.html

Webmonkey
02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Something aint right there as the motherboard(ambient) temp should be lower than the CPU temp at all times unless your using coldwater/phase, which you obviously are not. I wouldn't worry about the CPU temp (aslong as it dont go much higher than 50c)...can't help you with motherboard temp. You can also turn off or alter the parameters at which you recieve warnings.

What bios are you using?

Can I ask what your temps are?

arctic-k20
02-15-2006, 06:32 AM
not sure about ic3man but my chipset temps @ full load are 31~34c depending on ambient temps of course (that is with the fan on).

Webmonkey
02-15-2006, 11:52 AM
not sure about ic3man but my chipset temps @ full load are 31~34c depending on ambient temps of course (that is with the fan on).

ok, can you remember temps without fan?

Have you used the onboard audio? I am getting a lot of electrical hizzing and buzzing in my speakers....

Coroner Kyle
02-15-2006, 12:12 PM
When I first used this board my MB temps were higher than my cpu temps only a few degrees, but both were in the upper 20's to mid/lower 30's. I placed 2 120mm over the board and they equalled or were lower than cpu temp. Without fans I think my MB temps idled around 32-34 (around 10-12 over ambient).

arctic-k20
02-15-2006, 12:25 PM
i cant remember what my temps were without the fan - its been a while but i do remember putting the fan on because the chipset was getting warm....but i am water cooling so there isnt a fan by my cpu.

my guess would be about 5c higher without the fan

and i never tried the onboard audio - went straight to x-fi...

Ic3man
02-15-2006, 12:27 PM
With fan

Mb temp 32Idle - 36 load

Without 34 Idle - 39 load

Webmonkey
02-15-2006, 12:33 PM
thanks for your replies guys.

Now I wonder, could I have like a broken heat pipe on the board?????

Webmonkey
02-15-2006, 08:55 PM
With fan

Mb temp 32Idle - 36 load

Without 34 Idle - 39 load

Ok, I tried to ass the fan - noisy little thing :(

my temp at 100% load (running BOINC on both cores at Opteron 170 stock speed) are:

CPU 42degrees
MB 39 degrees

this is still in open case....

and still higher than yours... damnit..

Is my heatpipe broken?????

:mad:

Jailer
02-15-2006, 09:22 PM
You've got something going on there. Mine is mounted in a LianLi v1000 (upside down) with an 80mm fan blowing on the southbridge and it idles ~30C. Load is only a few C higher.

Ic3man
02-16-2006, 08:08 AM
Because the board is 'passively' cooled, good case airflow is VERY important otherwise all you are doing is circulating warm air. At least now you have the temps the right way round (mb temp lower than CPU temp!). My temps could be lower than yours for a number of reasons. I have 4 120mm fans in my case so it has plenty of 'fresh air' coming in and the hot air is exhausted effeciently. I notice you only have 2x80mm fans, this wont provide great airflow imo. You have your case open but think of it like a car, leave it idling , even with the bonnet open and it will heat up alot more than if air is being pushed through the car when on the move. Another reason could be my room maybe cooler so the air being fed to the pc is cooler. I doubt your heat pipe is broken otherwise your temps would be alot higher than that m8.

The temps you stated are not 'excessively' high m8 so I wouldn't worry too much, invest in some better (and bigger) fans and you should notice a drop in temps as more air will be passed through your PC, it will hopefully be quieter too!