PDA

View Full Version : New App: SysBeacon -- monitor stability when OCing from across the room!

LuckMan212
02-13-2006, 02:10 AM
Hey guys,
I whipped together a simple little app to help with stability testing when Priming or SuperPI'ing... its called SysBeacon :)

screenshot:
http://solvent-llc.com/files/sysbeacon.png

This app solved a problem that I have had where sometimes the system freezes and there's no easy way to tell unless you are using the box actively or happen to be staring at the clock or something. This will put a resizable blinking box on your screen to make it easy to tell if you've frozen. The colors and speed of the blinking are customizable. This app uses very little cpu/mem and should not interfere with testing at all. I included a Readme that explains everything, and there's even a little About box :rolleyes:

Why not download it and let me know what you think!

[ZIZI]
02-13-2006, 02:27 AM
Thats cool, gonna downlaod it now.

Its always great to see members of the comunity contributing and creating helpful software :toast:

[ZIZI]

neoman
02-13-2006, 06:32 AM
Well done m8 , i will download it and test it out :) (Y)

DirkJan
02-13-2006, 06:42 AM
lol...

gonna try it maybe... but i myself use the numlock button on my keyboard, if the led won't burn anymore or wont go off system is locked up;)

LuckMan212
02-13-2006, 07:45 PM
I was thinking I could add a feature to blink the keyboard LEDs, for those users who wish to turn off their monitors during stress testing. However that sort of defeats the purpose of the "across the room stability monitor" :)

oublie
02-14-2006, 03:50 PM
Fantastic idea,

Was just thinking of this the other day as i run a number of boxes off a kvm switch and would like to know that the ones im prime testing or folding on are still active so i came up with an idea. All i do is run a 'ping -t '(infinite ping) in a command window resized in the corner of my screen. If the machine i'm not viewing fails so does the ping! I know its a pretty basic idea but it works although it doesnt allow you to see at a glance which machines are active and its certainly not shiny :) . Maybe you could improve on Sysbeacon and allow it to flash based on a ping to a specific IP or change to red , beep etc if consecutive pings fail. I could probably code it myself but i'm a pants programmer :D. What do you thing.

Of course I retain this as idea as my intellecual property so when microsoft offer you $1,000,000,000 for your source code i want my share ;)

LuckMan212
02-14-2006, 06:23 PM
this could be done, but I am wondering you you envision the interface... would you open a new instance of the program for each box you wanted to monitor, or would you want a single window that allowed for multiple boxes to be monitored? Also, there are some programs out there that already do this sort of thing, one that comes to mind is Advanced HostMonitor ... http://www.ks-soft.net/hostmon.eng/index.htm

but I can probably code this given a little time.

oublie
02-15-2006, 11:49 AM
yeah hostmon would do it, but in reality what you have is better for overclockers i.e big green flashing light indicating if the box is alive. In theory you could start by just running an instance for each box and allowing you to put a name on the flashing window but if you can code it, multiple smaller boxes along the side of the screen (configured through the ini or gui) flashing or even just green for good and red for fail would be pretty useful.

In theory you could start with this and improve it as time goes on e.g. monitoring status of windows memtest or prime status as they can fail without the machine actually crashing.

What do you think ?