PDA

View Full Version : setting up the upgraded wc

SNIPoR
02-12-2006, 02:34 AM
i need some help on setting up the upgraded wc seup here..

the thing i own now is:
- DD TDX 939 copper
- Maze4 GPU
- BI Pro II
- D-D12 Pump
-----------------------
the upgrade is :
BIX Xtreme III

the case i own is TT Armor Black Case.

iam thinking out on circulation like this...

Pump > PROII > XIII > CPU > GPU

or

PUMP > XIII > CPU > PROII > GPU

any suggestions??

snowwie
02-12-2006, 08:13 AM
loop order? well with that many components (2 rads!) just plumb the tubing in the order that makes easiest installation and least amount of tubing length.

creidiki
02-12-2006, 08:46 AM
's a little pointless, the single BIX III is more than enough for all that, all youre doing with 2 rads is adding flow restriction.

SNIPoR
02-12-2006, 10:09 AM
try pump>CPU>Pro2>GPU>XIII
you didn't say what size of tubing using?

1/2" all tubing....and i want to Do a Overkill Wc Setup:weapon: :D

Btw Why Pump>CPU is better than Pump > Rad > CPU ?!?? i cant get it..i mean from Rad > Cpu is the Right thing,,isnt it??

creidiki
02-12-2006, 10:54 AM
lower water flow = less turbulence, lower pressure in blocks and hence less efficiency from them = bad

decreased efficiency as delta of water and air is decreased = bad

you can cool that whole thing with a PA120.2. i do.

Oh and i forgot: time spent in rad is the same regarless of flow speed. for a given h20 molecule:
lower flow = more time less times/minute
higher flow = less time more times/minute
total time/minute in rad is identical.

that system is not loaded enough to make use for more than III, anything more will degrade performance.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-12-2006, 11:22 AM
Always the option (not much of one but) of Ying off and going one to cpu and the other to gpu the back to a Y again to the loop. It makes more restriction again and would add 5 or 6" to the run but not passing heat from one to the other that way.

racinjimy
02-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Always the option (not much of one but) of Ying off and going one to cpu and the other to gpu the back to a Y again to the loop. It makes more restriction again and would add 5 or 6" to the run but not passing heat from one to the other that way.

the GPU loop which is less restrictive would probably get the lion's share of flow in this situation............probably not what your after

ExtraPickles
02-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Having just added a second rad to an existing setup this weekend I can tell you that you'll get little benefit from it. I mean if you got the rad and are bored go for it, but don't expect to see improvements equalling the work heh.

-pickles

http://www.binaryresults.com/wc/p160new1.jpg

creidiki
02-12-2006, 12:07 PM
Yeah, i was about to ask how much improvement youd seen with that 2nd rad there.

I think the problem is ppl forget that there's a point where adding more rads wont give you more performance because your system doesent load the loop enough to make use of it, and your 2nd rad is full of wtaer barely above ambient and shifting nearly no heat.

I can see where if you had a Pentium-D and 2x 7800/x1900 then 2x 240mm rads would work (though a 360mm would probably be about equivalent), but you need some insane amounts of joules pumped into the water to make the delta high enough for a 240mm+360mm to be worth the loss in flow.

SNIPoR
02-12-2006, 12:39 PM
what if iam Using :

CPU: 3800 X2 @ 2845 @ 1.65V
X1900 XTX @ 750/850

is still worth to combine PROII with BIX III for that setup or Just BIX III will do the Trick?

Jochenp
02-12-2006, 01:06 PM
I'd say you never know for sure untill you tried it ;)

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-12-2006, 01:19 PM
If you have the room and funds go for it and if it doesn't sell it off.

Zenjirou
02-12-2006, 01:26 PM
BTW- Hope you set up dual rads in Parallel rather than tandem or inbetween waterblocks.

For it is more effective that way.

creidiki
02-12-2006, 01:59 PM
I'd say you never know for sure untill you tried it ;)

Indeed. However, keep in mind my Clawhammer 130nm FX-53 is rated for the same heat output of an FX-60 (110W @ stock), so im not too far off your heat dump with that and my X1800XT. A little more from the CPU, a little less from the GPU... probably about the same, within 10W or so...

Id say the BIX III on its own would be optimal. Parallel rads would be better for the fact that both rads will be full of water at the highest delta from ambient, and thus have the best efficiency, but youd lose efficency because of the halved wateflow inside each rad - waterflow = turbulence = better heat transfer. This article (http://www.over-clock.com/ivb/index.php?showtopic=14805) by Marci is relevant, give it a lookover, primarily the part about converting dual-pass rads to single-pass and the loss in efficiency due to per-pipe waterflow reduction. Youd be getting into much the same situation with parallel rads.

Also remember: water takes the path of least resistance, so your BIP II will get far more flow than your BIX III.

You didnt *really* think this would be easy, did you? :D

Byron
02-12-2006, 02:28 PM
ExtraPickles
what sort of difference in temps you noticed with the second rad m8?

Cheers

Nicksterr
02-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Yeah quite interested in those temps.