PDA

View Full Version : V8 Monza plans...help?

Lostfaith
02-11-2006, 05:40 PM
Hi fellow carfreaks,

I have a question:

Since last november I own a 1976 Chevrolet Monza 2+2 hatchback with a stock V8 262ci smallblock in good condition.

it's got plenty of power but it's also my go to work/touring/show car.

and I'm planning on getting another Chevy smallblock 350ci V8 for it. (my other car is an ultra efficient 1.2L Opel Kadett E Hatchback)
I'm planning on doing an overall on the engine and pimp it up with some chrome valve covers and such.

I'm in the market for an efficient first/powerfull second 4bbl Carb (probably going to be a Holley but need some specifications to look out for.)

would really appreciate your expert thoughts for:

-a powerful Electric Radiator Fan for releasing some HP.
-a good 4bbl Carb efficient, no smoke but also for some good street performance (anyone able to determine a good carb for my car?)
-a site where I can find some pimp & performance parts to shop for the smallblock V8 engine (located in caribbean, so worldwide if possible)
-MSD system. (don't know much about it... )
-nice looking rear spoiler (like the stock one, or maybe other fitting models?)

tnx all.

same car I have (mine w/o spoiler) but this one is in black:
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/4244/page2.html

nice dedicated site with lots of pics of these cars also in dragraces
www.v8monza.com

btw, whaddaya think of the car?

chew*
02-18-2006, 09:17 AM
Had one, You can fit a 400 smallblock in it btw, if your a mechanic get the holley if your not get the edelbrock. Reason, in my experience holleys have attitudes, weather changes the way the car runs changes, definitely a tweakers carb. Edelbrock can be tuned twice a year once for summer once for winter, the holley when tuned right will give better performance.

Make sure your careful with the frame and check it regularly and I'f your actually gonna put some serious power in that car plan on reinstalling and or replacing windshields on a regular basis. I popped my windshield out so many times i lost count whenever car torquing up etc hole shots :)

JasonDTM
02-19-2006, 10:03 PM
^^^ most carbs are like that heh

Lostfaith
03-07-2006, 11:03 PM
tnx, thought none of you guys were familiar with v8's and carbs :P

anyway, update:

I got a 305ci Caprice engine and tranny for less then 100bucks... we've taken it apart and the camshaft has almost round lobes, the crank is good though.

also some of the lifters had flattened ends.

going to bore the block and increase the stroke a little bit (0.05") it will probably result to about 340-350ci..

still looking for a good carb on that, but I think a 600/650fcm holley will be the final choice.

also thinking of opening the exhaust stock manifold with some boltin headers. would they make a decent difference compared to the stock manifold?

also still looking for an electric fan... should I just look for one fitting the rad and with some engine clearance?

advice/hints/tips are really appreciated!!!

Lost

edit: I live in the carribean, so the climate doesn't change a lot at all...

Movieman
03-07-2006, 11:39 PM
WOW! Talk about old memories coming back! I had a 75 silver grey 262 V8 Monza 4 speed back in 1978..nice little car,paid $1600.00 for it but it was THE car from hell to change a set of plugs on. The Motors Manual at that time listed the job at 6 hours. You had to loosen the driver side motor mount and jack the motor at least 3 inches up to change the back plugs..After doing that once I cut a 4 inch square in the inner fenderwell and had a rubber patch over it to keep the road crap out..With a reasonably stock 305 like you have I'd use no larger than a 600cfm carb but why go carb at all? With the good FI setups they have today you get much more power and better gas milage than any carb can give you.
With a 350 FI engine slightly warmed over and a set of 3:55's in the rear you'd have a nice little vechicle to play with. Find a 5 spped manual with a .7 to 1 fifth gear, go to 4.10's in the rear end and you got a decent drag car that will also cruise at decent rpm's. Good Luck with it!:D

Lostfaith
03-08-2006, 11:39 AM
movieman, cool to hear bout your monza, my sparks are still reachable but I heard the original mounts sag really bad making some of the driverside sparks unreachable... hence I'm getting the v8monza.com's mounts for my car...

also regarding the Fuel Injection, is it doable you think?

I was thinking about it and if feasible would be a good option I think.

Keep in mind though that I only have about $700 a month for the car this and next's, would a FI setup be not much more expensive compared to a good holley carb? and all the sensors I need, is it doable with a 305ci originally from a 80s capriceV8 smallblock?

any input really appreciated.

for some info about 70's pony car Monza's and Vega's -> www.v8monza.com