PDA

View Full Version : Why is my water level dropping? T-Line shows diminishing levels....

Semper Fi
02-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Been running this setup now for a few weeks since I filled it and the level on the t-line has dropped about 2 inches. Everything is sealed off, including the T-Line. I'm about to add more water after Im done writing this, but I want to stop this from happening. There has to be an opening somewhere where the water is evaporating right?

n00b 0f l337
02-11-2006, 04:52 PM
Nope, most likely bubbles of air trapped somewere.

Zenjirou
02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
Quite often the area above the radiator barbs has air, even though the loop appears to be bled of bubbles, since that area is higher level than the water, it stays untouched by coolant. Such is the case with my radiator, but its same on 120s. Very likely air trapped up there has excaped which is why water level lower.

after 2 months on one setup i tilted pc sideways and air came out and water droped 3 inches.

Semper Fi
02-11-2006, 05:00 PM
lol... damn I shoulda figured. This 120.3 is a pain in the ARSE to bleed. Definately sounds likely. Thanks guys, Ill twist this bastard around later and see if any more air surfaces.

MaxxxRacer
02-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Semper, I'm no Thermochill rep, but I'd just like to point out that its not just the PA120.3 that is annoying to bleed. All of these rads ( with the exception of the MCR220) will exibit this same behavior.

Semper Fi
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Oh Im sure any rad that accompanies more than one 120mm fan is a safe haven for stray air... I never had this problem with the BIX or any heatercores I've used. This thing is so massive its impossible to get all the air out first time round without having the loop unattached (like you originally recommended). But yeah, the 120.3 is annoying to bleed.

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-13-2006, 10:49 AM
the rad loves air for sure. Did you get more air out with the "twisting"?

creidiki
02-13-2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah, to get the air out of my PA120.2 i had it running barbs-up for 24 hours, and i kept tapping it with the rubberized grip of a screwdriver... even after 12 hours of it going and half an hour spent tapping it and the bubbles going out of it there was still air in it :S

Semper Fi
02-13-2006, 03:58 PM
I know what you mean man. The rad is mounted to my case now... so twisting isnt' really an option unless I just take the entire case and move it around... but even thats not enough roation space to work the air out of the rad. I'm just gonna let it work itself out naturally over time and keep an eye on the water level of the tline.

n00b 0f l337
02-13-2006, 04:03 PM
It may never leave. :(
Flip your case upside down then prop at a 45 degree with the barbs above the other end.

Semper Fi
02-13-2006, 04:19 PM
or I could just strap my case onto the top of my car and run a rally sprint with it. That should get the air out, or crack the thing in half.

n00b 0f l337
02-13-2006, 04:29 PM
Hahahahaha... You dont think it will hold?

creidiki
02-13-2006, 04:34 PM
Lol, maxxx should put that in his guide:

"After you have finished mounting the loop, strap your computer to your car, hook the pump up to the lighter plug, and drive around a racetrack for a few hours to get the air out" :3

MaxxxRacer
02-13-2006, 11:07 PM
lol, the problem is that someone would do it and then blame me for killing their system.

mr_knowitall15
02-13-2006, 11:28 PM
sometimes i think theres more to it than trapped air. This same water has been in here for like a year. every once in a while ill have to top it off because the level in the res goes down a bit. My theories:
1: The inside of the tubes and maybe res is getting eroded ever so slightly, therefore slightly increasing volume inside the system.
2. Theres an itty bitty leak somewhere thats so tiny its un-noticable, and the little bit thats getting out just evaporates.
3. My son of a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: kitty is using it for getting a drink once in a while.... (however theres antifreeze in there so he should be dead)
Edit: I prolly should flush this thing and put some fresh water in, but i figure, **** it. Within a few months ill be buildin a new one anyway. 975X, Prolly a presler, prolly X1900XT(orXTX), and an ocz unit if theyre really about 300 bucks :D

MaxxxRacer
02-13-2006, 11:43 PM
knowitall.. there is a much simpler solution.

Water slowly evaporates through the tubing. Its well documented and states as such by the tubing manufacturers.

Coroner Kyle
02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Maxx: I need your address so I can serve you with a complaint. I just got back from a rip down the highway and my rig is fubar. :D

Deadeye550
02-14-2006, 09:50 AM
It took me about a day to get all the air out of my system. I've got my T-line set up before the pump and bleeding was a lot easier then I exspecting from a T-line. AFAIK all the air is out of my 120.2