PDA

View Full Version : Case Painting Question, just making sure my step are correct

Liquid_Cooled
02-09-2006, 03:36 AM
So ive been reading alot of Case Spray Painting Guides (Linear, mnpctech, modthebox, box gods) and I just want to make sure I have all the step down correct. I'll be painting my old Logitech MX Duo mouse and keyboard. Im be using Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel Gloss Black spray paint, with matching grey primer and clear coat. Plastic surface has already been filled in with bondo (where needed) and sanded to 320 grit.

PRIMER:
1. spray 3-4 thin coats (wait 10 minutes between each thin coat)
2. wait 30 minutes then wet sand with 600 grit
3. spray 3-4 thin coats (wait 15 minutes bettwen each think coat)
4. wait 30 minutes then wet sand with 800 grit

COLOR PAINT:
2. wait 2 days then wet sand with 800 grit
3. spray 3-4 thin coats (wait 10 minutes between each thin coat)
4. wait 2 days then wet and with 1000grit

CLEAT COAT:
2. wait 2 days then wet sand with 1000 grit
4. wait 2 days tehn weat sand with 1500 then 2000 grit

FINISHING:
1. apply small amount of 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut)
2. use soft cotton cloth and work compound in gently.
3. use swirl mark removers/glaze.

QUESTIONS:

1. am i doing anything wrong in my steps?

2. is 2 finished coats for (primer, color, clear coat) enough, or should I use more? if so, how many coats should be enough for each type?

3. is it better to spray paint with the item flat on the floor or propped straight up?

4. after i use rubbing compound, what do i use to clear up the slight haze (if their is any)?

5. once all the finish is done, how soon can i apply wax?

6. for the mouse, should i apply for than 2 coats of clear coat for durability? wouldnt the clear coat wear out/dull over time on the mouse buttons?

7. lets say a bug or large speck of dust falls into the paint within that 10 minute period between thin coats. should i continue to spray the rest of the thin coats until the coat is finishd, or just stop right there, wait 2 days and sand it out.

runmc
02-09-2006, 04:31 AM
So ive been reading alot of Case Spray Painting Guides (Linear, mnpctech, modthebox, box gods) and I just want to make sure I have all the step down correct. I'll be painting my old Logitech MX Duo mouse and keyboard. Im be using Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamel Gloss Black spray paint, with matching grey primer and clear coat. Plastic surface has already been filled in with bondo (where needed) and sanded to 320 grit.

PRIMER:
2. wait 30 minutes then wet sand with 600 grit
3. spray 3-4 thin coats (wait 15 minutes bettwen each think coat)
4. wait 30 minutes then wet sand with 800 grit

COLOR PAINT:
2. wait 2 days then wet sand with 800 grit
4. wait 2 days then wet and with 1000grit

CLEAT COAT:
2. wait 2 days then wet sand with 1000 grit
4. wait 2 days tehn weat sand with 1500 then 2000 grit

FINISHING:
1. apply small amount of 3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound (Fine Cut)
2. use soft cotton cloth and work compound in gently.
3. use swirl mark removers/glaze.

QUESTIONS:

1. am i doing anything wrong in my steps?

2. is 2 finished coats for (primer, color, clear coat) enough, or should I use more? if so, how many coats should be enough for each type?

3. is it better to spray paint with the item flat on the floor or propped straight up?

4. after i use rubbing compound, what do i use to clear up the slight haze (if their is any)?

5. once all the finish is done, how soon can i apply wax?

6. for the mouse, should i apply for than 2 coats of clear coat for durability? wouldnt the clear coat wear out/dull over time on the mouse buttons?

7. lets say a bug or large speck of dust falls into the paint within that 10 minute period between thin coats. should i continue to spray the rest of the thin coats until the coat is finishd, or just stop right there, wait 2 days and sand it out.

Read the lable on the paint can your using. Priming and painting sounds good except your recoat (repaint times) sound kinda close together to me. It all depends on the paint. Follow directions on the can and always check to make sure your using primer that is recommended for the paint your using.:D

If you get a bug, run in paint, or other blimish, I would stop, let it dry, sand and start back up again.
You can put as many coats of clear on as you like. If it starts to wear or dull you can lightly sand and recoat.

hixie
02-09-2006, 08:12 AM
Your lucky, im a spray painter so i can give some advice.
The method you just said, sounds like advice a novice painter gave out.
How you paint depends on what type of finish you are after.
If you want a very deep reflective gloss black 3-4 coats of clear laquer and some compounding on each coat would do the job. Be sure not to add to many layers of primer and paint, too much will cause the paint to crack and flake easly if there are imperfections on the surface of you mouse. One layer of primer just enough to cover the surface is enough, if your very fussy then some compounding could be done.
The paint layer is just one light coat just enough to cover the surface, leave to dry for 5 minutes then another coat just enough to cover the entire surface, leave over night if possible if not then make sure the paint is fully cured before clear laquer.
If you see orange peel, then you did a bad job of painting. The orange peel can be removed if you use a 1000grit wet and dry with soapy water. Any imperfections you leave here will be magnified when you apply laquer. So make sure you are happy with it before you apply laquer. Black is a very tough colour to work with, any imperfection will stand out load, but also very rewarding to do a good job of it.
After the 3-4 coats of clear laquer i said above, you're pretty much done.
I wouldn't bother with wax cause they melt at quite low temperatures, e.g. your hand. So unless you like the feeling of waxy hands and fingers i wouldn't apply wax to your mouse. There are other reasons that you shouldn't use wax products on your car, but they don't cencern you or most automotive users.

As to your question about bugs or dust. After that layer is cured sand lightly with 800grit wet and dry with soapy water.

So summary:
*Make sure the mouse is sanded smooth any bumps could cause your paint to flake.
*Apply 1 layer of primer just enough to cover the entire surface. Make sure its plastic primer and not a metal one.
*Apply 2 thin layers of paint just enough to cover the entire surface, 5 minutes apart from each other. Leave to fully cure.
*Compunding or sanding can be done to remove orange peel, dull patches or dust specks, but remember lightly or you will end up with no paint left.
*3-4 coats of laquer with componding on each layer for a very deep gloss effect.

PS. Acrylic paint is a good choice for this application, automotive paint is very soft so would scratch very easily.

Liquid_Cooled
02-09-2006, 11:07 AM
i already bought Dupli-Color Arcylic Enamel spray paint (gloss black, crystal clear and grey primer). from the guides i read, they all recommened dupli color, so thats what ill be using.

your probably right, i probably only need 1 primer and less color paint and build it more layers of clear coat.