PDA

View Full Version : LN2, remove IHS

stealth17
02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Do most people remove the A64 IHS when running LN2? I want to remove mine but if its bad to do so for LN2 then I wount.

I cant see why it would be but I just wanna check first.

Thanks

Cpt Twitchy
02-08-2006, 04:54 PM
I would say dont do it as your running a san diego which do not like the cold and the ihs increases temps.

stealth17
02-08-2006, 05:25 PM
I would say dont do it as your running a san diego which do not like the cold and the ihs increases temps.

Thats not the question. The question is if an LN2 pot will sit okay on a naked core.

Cpt Twitchy
02-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Thats not the question. The question is if an LN2 pot will sit okay on a naked core.
Oh sorry about that but depending on its mass it may tip and crush a corner or and ic. I saw dumo take a hole puncher and cut out neoprence tape and it worked for him as well as many others on dothan etc. Just some neoprene tape would help alot.

stealth17
02-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Oh sorry about that but depending on its mass it may tip and crush a corner or and ic. I saw dumo take a hole puncher and cut out neoprence tape and it worked for him as well as many others on dothan etc. Just some neoprene tape would help alot.

haha I did the exact same thing for my naked 3700+ on my DD-X! Yeh, that does kinda scare me especially since Ill be using an ARC. O well, Ill prolly do it anyways. I dont think it will be too hard to reglue this thing back on with the proper glue. Get some ASC under there and it would be better than stock too.

PS? Its actually an Opty 150, not that it really makes a difference.

Cpt Twitchy
02-08-2006, 05:41 PM
haha I did the exact same thing for my naked 3700+ on my DD-X! Yeh, that does kinda scare me especially since Ill be using an ARC. O well, Ill prolly do it anyways. I dont think it will be too hard to reglue this thing back on with the proper glue. Get some ASC under there and it would be better than stock too.

PS? Its actually an Opty 150, not that it really makes a difference.
I actually think an arc would help as it creates the pressure straight down. When you run into problems is if it tilts a little buit one way or the other but the cores can take lots of force when pressure is applied straight down.

Whats the stepping on your opty and do you have any pictures of the pot you will be using?

Tim

eBoy0
02-08-2006, 05:58 PM
As long as its evenly tightened down it should be fine. Make sure you electric tape around the die, and hope the chip doesn't have a coldbug.;)

stealth17
02-08-2006, 06:35 PM
As long as its evenly tightened down it should be fine. Make sure you electric tape around the die, and hope the chip doesn't have a coldbug.;)

For why? :confused:

stealth17
02-08-2006, 06:40 PM
I actually think an arc would help as it creates the pressure straight down. When you run into problems is if it tilts a little buit one way or the other but the cores can take lots of force when pressure is applied straight down.

Whats the stepping on your opty and do you have any pictures of the pot you will be using?

Tim

Its a CABGE 0534 SPMW

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=69620

Thats on a single stage with IHS on and a -60c load evap temp. Evap is probably around -65c to get that shot as there wasnt a load though.

eBoy0
02-08-2006, 06:52 PM
For why? :confused:

Condensation for one thing, as well as when you try and pull the container off their may be ice forming around the chips and you may pull them off.

stealth17
02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
Condensation for one thing, as well as when you try and pull the container off their may be ice forming around the chips and you may pull them off.

You shouldnt pull the container off untill everything is at room temperature :slapass:

Will a nice condensation proofing job there shouldnt be any air around the chip anyways. I just run a couple layers of nail poilish laquer and Ive never had a problem at -70 idle :)

Cpt Twitchy
02-08-2006, 07:22 PM
You shouldnt pull the container off untill everything is at room temperature :slapass:

Will a nice condensation proofing job there shouldnt be any air around the chip anyways. I just run a couple layers of nail poilish laquer and Ive never had a problem at -70 idle :)
Very nice looking chip you have there. What kind of Single stage do you have? It is very powerful:toast: In my experience but for completely different applications I have used liquid electrical tape and it seems to come off rather easy.

Tim

stealth17
02-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Very nice looking chip you have there. What kind of Single stage do you have? It is very powerful:toast: In my experience but for completely different applications I have used liquid electrical tape and it seems to come off rather easy.

Tim

Its a Drewmeister DD-X (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196772)

Liquid Electrical tape is really good. I never thought about that. I may try some on this chip since it does indeed pull off very nicely. Thanks for the tip!

eBoy0
02-08-2006, 07:39 PM

Meh no time to wait, i just pour in some warm water and pull off the CPU w/ Container.
You do realize how cold LN2 is... condensation will form one way or another.

Cpt Twitchy
02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Its a Drewmeister DD-X (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=196772)

Liquid Electrical tape is really good. I never thought about that. I may try some on this chip since it does indeed pull off very nicely. Thanks for the tip!
I am amazed by its strength with only a 1/3hp compressor but feel I have a good idea of how it was done. Can you say wether it is a very high pressured system? And finally NP for the tip. I use it on switches like on the front of your case to ensure that the stupid screws don't fall out due to vibrations. I doubt your switches will have any problem as it doesn't vibrate nearly as much as a race car:p:

Tim

stealth17
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
Meh no time to wait, i just pour in some warm water and pull off the CPU w/ Container.
You do realize how cold LN2 is... condensation will form one way or another.

Dude thats a really stupid thing to do :(

I am amazed by its strength with only a 1/3hp compressor but feel I have a good idea of how it was done. Can you say wether it is a very high pressured system? And finally NP for the tip. I use it on switches like on the front of your case to ensure that the stupid screws don't fall out due to vibrations. I doubt your switches will have any problem as it doesn't vibrate nearly as much as a race car:p:

Tim

Drew spent heaps of time on a special blend of gas known as "DM gas" along with fine tuning every tiny little detail. It tool a lot of time and design work between him and I. I cant release any internal design info. This is the coldest single stage Ive ever seen with only a 1/3hp compressor. I wanted to keep the compressor as small as possible and have only one due to power requirments. This thing is MUCH more than words can describe. Thanks again Drew! :toast:

(PM him for pricing here (http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/member.php?u=17764))

eBoy0
02-08-2006, 08:43 PM
Dude thats a really stupid thing to do :(

Better than waiting 4-5 hours for it to hit ambient temps.:p: It pops right out of the socket with ease, then i just slide it off.

stealth17
02-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Better than waiting 4-5 hours for it to hit ambient temps.:p: It pops right out of the socket with ease, then i just slide it off.

One day the core will "pop right out of the socket with ease" but the PCB will still be locked in :stick:

eBoy0
02-08-2006, 09:00 PM
One day the core will "pop right out of the socket with ease" but the PCB will still be locked in :stick:

You think u can rip the IHS off that easily? Believe me there is no resistance of the cpu being held in the socket.

yngndrw
02-09-2006, 12:55 AM
You're gonna end up cracking the core and/or the pot that way .. :/

Dumo
02-09-2006, 01:38 AM
Your 150 should do this @ -70C and 1.79V:)

http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/8420/screenshot0930im.jpg

eBoy0
02-09-2006, 05:13 AM
Well actually the cpu isnt frozen to the container, its the ceramique thats holding it in place, so no matter at what temp it'll get pulled out of socket.

Waus-mod
02-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Just make shure you have pads near the core that will get the wight balanced. then you have no probs... but be carefull