PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Metal..which tools

Zenjirou
02-07-2006, 12:03 PM
how does one cut metal. not sheet metal, but little thicker, such as copper panals.

I have a dremel, is there an addon accesesory for that. would the Jigzsaw addon work.

For example when curring copper for the base of a waterblock, which tool is good.

thanks

kwjake
02-07-2006, 05:38 PM
You mean for like cutting a pattern in the copper for the water to flow through? I've seen people use a drill press for that. If you just want to cut out copper chunks, I'd use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel.

Judaeus Apella
02-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I think I once heard of a guy modifying a bit to fit his router table.... not sure. Been a while since I heard that. *shrugs* Doesn't hurt to get creative, as long as you play it safe and wear protective gear (eyes, mouth, hands, etc... kevlar vest... j/k) :D

hixie
02-08-2006, 10:46 AM
A mill would be the best, you get clean accurate cuts. Providing you have access to one of course.
Angle grinder tends to give off alot of sparks, and isn't very good for something more than half an inch thick due to the heat wearing off the blade and the motor.
A handheld jigsaw wouldn't do the job, you need the type that is bolted to the ground, with the blade going round and round, rather than up and down. (Not a table saw)

Judaeus Apella
02-08-2006, 11:18 AM
What about router tables? I'm pretty sure I heard something about that....

I heard that there are litterally TONS of gadgets and bits you can get for routers for all kinds of differnent projects, including metal, glass, wood, plastic, textiles, stone, cement, marble, etc. There has to be some use for routers in terms of metal shaping, drilling, cutting, carving, etc.

Are we even sure we know what it is he actually wants to do? It sounds like more than anything we are assuming...

DFI pit bull
02-09-2006, 02:38 PM
I've also got a dremel and I used a dremel cutoff wheel to cut thick copper, takes a little time but does a great job.
Remember to wear eye protection as sometimes the disc may shatter, unless you use shatter proof discs.

Zenjirou
02-11-2006, 02:43 PM
thanks.

I've used Cut off wheel for Case Mod (like to cut fan holes)..so it works on thick copper?

need to cut in straight lines.. I guess the roughters might be ideal.., hopefully they won't wear out after cutting as jigsaws do too quickly

thanks for info

DFI pit bull
02-11-2006, 06:46 PM
I made a ram coolers for my radeon from 6mm thick copper with the dremel, a single peice plate that covers all 4 ram chips, top and bottom.
The dremel of course is not ideal for cutting straight edges, but great for smaller jobs. Mind you though I don't have much problem cutting straight edges with it as I have a very steady hand.

All in all the dremel is a great tool for the case modder!!:clap:

Thrilla
02-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Use a hack saw or band saw to cut thick copper (2mm+, well at least that's what I do)

As for patterns, read other posts ;)