PDA

View Full Version : Serious n00b questions

Celeron Gamer
02-05-2006, 11:28 PM
I've heard someone talking about can't using dryshots with a blower.

Does "blower" mean the turbocharger or something? And why can't it be compatible with the Dryshot?

And what makes Dryshot different, and is more latent than wetshot?

Sorry, I don't know anything about Nitrous, and is just curious:)

BSill
02-06-2006, 05:57 AM
A blower is bascially a supercharger. Most people precieve it as a supercharger that bolts onto or acts as part of the intake plenum; which leads to the first intake mani.

And if your planning to spray and your asking this question than your not ready to spray. You cannot just simply hook up nitrous. You need to research your engine, the stock compression ratios of the engine, the compression ratios of your engine which has been rebuilt with stronger rods, pistons, ect. What shot can your engine handle stock, most v6's stock can only handle about 50 to 75 tops. Anything 100 plus requires a full ignition swap, different injectors, pumps, filters. Its alot more work than people expect, and alot more money. On a properly sprayed car or truck, the supporting modifications done will cost the same as the nitrous system if not more if the engine is thoroughly rebuilt.

Soulburner
02-06-2006, 08:38 AM
Technically a centrifugal supercharger and a turbocharger are both types of "blowers" but work in different ways.

As far as work required for N2O, it varies depending on the car. I can hook up a 100hp TNT dry kit without touching ignition or fuel systems.

Dry simply means its shot in on its own through the throttle body and your injectors need to be tuned to add extra fuel. A wet system uses its own pump to pre-mix the fuel with the N2O. A wet system will not need more powerful injectors while the dry will so the costs add up differently.

trakslacker
02-06-2006, 09:23 AM
hehe, you can add a 100hp shot without too much worry. I wouldnt say that's the case for most ppl however. the LS1 happens to be a beast of an engine, and as such can stand up to quite a bit of abuse(read: nitrous, FI, etc.) without major mods in my experience.

ToxicBug
02-10-2006, 01:56 PM
I thought a "blower" was a term specifically for the Roots type supercharger.

Jamo
02-10-2006, 07:30 PM
yes, both superchargers and turbos can be called 'blowers', and as has been pointed out if your asking these questions your not ready for nitrous

heres a little read for you, look, listen and take heed, the more homework you do the less problems you'll run into in the long run

81 Formuladude
10-27-2006, 07:32 AM
:shrug: :shrug: :shrug: :shrug: I have a 1981 Pontiac Firebird Formula with a 355 SBC . I want to run a 200hp NOS system on my car, I have a Mallory 140 Pro Comp Fuel Pump & a Holley Blue Pump and I recently bought a Mallory 140 Fuel filter with two inlet & 2 outlets. can I run the two pumps together - the Mallory to feed the motor & the Holley feeding the NOS system and plum them both into the single Mallory 140 fuel filter with 2 separate 1/2' fuel lines and regulators. am I going to have any pressure problems having the 2 pumps working together on that system. or do I need to run two separate filters....::

trance565
10-27-2006, 09:56 AM
a blower is : a centrifugal super charger on a efi vehicle, or a twinscrew/roots type on a carbed vehicle.

a dry shot of nos can be used with any of these, but witht he twinscrew your likley to mess something up, as you could very well freeze the oil inside of it, and cause it to lockup/overheat/get messed up.

formula, i would suggest getting a wetshot, and getting it tuned at a nice shop.

oh yea, ALWAYS get your :banana::banana::banana::banana: tuned for nitrous, or else your car wont give it enough fuel and you'll blow a rod/piston halfway through your heads. (personal expierience)