PDA

View Full Version : Slight Windoze ME problem when Installing NIC

tuxlinux
01-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Hi, here is a slight problem for you guys to rack your brains over :-). Not exactly sure if I am posting this in the right area though so try and stay with me on this one. I am currently working on a pc that is running a Intel VC820 mobo with a p III 733 processor, radeon VE, ZOOM 56k modem. When I tried to install a Netgear NIC card. I shut the machine down and restarted it with the card in, it locked just as it came to the first screen after the windows loading screen (blue cloud image with moving blue and white bar on butom, it was after that screen but before the desktop. The mouse was there but no icons yet. When I tried ctrl-alt-del to see what it was doing, it showed two instances of the "cmdninst" program running. One of these had the (not responding) behind it. have tried different NICs and tried putzing with the bios to force ICQs and tried to change drivers. All of which had none effect. On another note when I tried to reinstall Win ME it was taking forever to install. I started the installation about 8 last night and it has finished while I was away at school but was done about 2:00 - 5:00 in the afternoon. Any help on fixing this situation would be greatly appreciated. :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

JBELL
01-28-2003, 12:25 AM
your checked IRQ's and none were sharing??

what about pci slot location?? maybe bad slot?

your pci slot with modem works - swap modem with NIC and reboot - if it works then readd the modem and if you die you know it is mobo ... if it dies with nic in modem slot then it is NIC.

tuxlinux
01-28-2003, 06:58 AM
i have no idea what the hell the problem realy is. I have tried that. It was almost the first thing. If it was that easy I probably would not have posted here. Any way I installed a different hard drive and disconnected the original so I could test for a hardware problem. I installed windows me with the modem and nic in and it did not have a problem. I think that this is just a windoze marvel that comes standard with any windoze operating system I will probably have to reinstall whole macine from scratch. I am all for a linux future. Much better and cheaper. You can not run a windoze system for a week without it having problems and needing to be restarted. I have a linux box that has been running for almost 3 months now. Damn it to Bill Gate. I want his job. Where else can you annoy people, waste thier time, and steal other peoples ideas; all while getting paid mad amounts of money for it and becoming, at one point, the richest person in the US.