PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu on top of the world

JAWS
01-31-2006, 06:00 PM
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

One of the most recent Linux distributions, Ubuntu, has gain such a popularity among users that for the last 12 months is the number one choice for Linux users, thanks to its integration with systems, and particularly laptops, and small cycle of releases. Distrowatch has the numbers for this little pet of Mark Shuttleworth.

agenda2005
01-31-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes! Ubuntu is smooth and not to talk about the Snaptic Package Manager that picks up just about everything you need in no time. I use Ubuntu on my lappy and work PC. The SuSe on my desktop has been nothing but headeache recently.
My School also have official ubuntu support with things like Maple and Matlab optimized for it.

mikenam
01-31-2006, 07:57 PM
i just installed ubuntu. seems really nice.

axion
01-31-2006, 09:23 PM
I might install it soon, got a bunch of the Ubuntu discs that you could order online just the other day so might see how it goes.

nn_step
02-05-2006, 07:44 PM
ok but wait a few weeks and it wont be any more

osiris999
02-05-2006, 11:59 PM
i could never figure out how to do anything on it

mrapples
02-06-2006, 01:18 AM
the distro is fairly straight forward, but if you had any questions all you needed to do was check the wiki or the forums

nn_step
02-06-2006, 10:16 AM
Did you get a copy of the manual? or do you need other types of help because that is what we can do to make your transistion easier..

kiwi
02-07-2006, 04:31 PM
To be honest, when I last checked ubuntu (6 months ago or so) I obviously didn't like it because I would have kept it. Maybe now it is better and it is worth taking a look again.

mrapples
02-07-2006, 06:24 PM
To be honest, when I last checked ubuntu (6 months ago or so) I obviously didn't like it because I would have kept it. Maybe now it is better and it is worth taking a look again.
breezy was a pretty significant step in quality in my opinion

uOpt
02-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Boy did I hate Ubuntu. I tried it on one of my home notebooks and had to kick it off after a short while.

These people have no idea how a real Unix system is supposed to work.

nn_step
02-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Boy did I hate Ubuntu. I tried it on one of my home notebooks and had to kick it off after a short while.

Damn right.. but then again it isn't a Unix system.. it is a linux system that is an entirely different principle design.. heck we need binary compatablity layers just to use Linux software.. We the few, the proud, the BSD users:toast:

uOpt
02-08-2006, 10:59 AM
Damn right.. but then again it isn't a Unix system.. it is a linux system that is an entirely different principle design.. heck we need binary compatablity layers just to use Linux software.. We the few, the proud, the BSD users:toast:

Well, there is still absolutely no reason to break Unix functionality when creating a "Linux system" (whatever that is).

In the case of Ubuntu the maintainers just have no idea what powerusers do.

mrapples
02-08-2006, 03:59 PM
In the case of Ubuntu the maintainers just have no idea what powerusers do.
i would say that it doesnt concern them before i claimed that they "have no idea"
they are trying to make a user-friendly distro that eases the transition from other desktop operating systems

im not saying its perfect by any means, i do not use it as i am a power user in most respects, but i do think that for their purpose they do a fine job

nn_step
02-08-2006, 06:05 PM
Linux comes in a million flavors.. so if you don't like the taste.. you can try something else until you find something you like or Love

mrapples
02-08-2006, 10:39 PM
that is something i like about it, granted it also causes problems, but thats where the bsd's step in

uOpt
02-09-2006, 09:43 AM
i would say that it doesnt concern them before i claimed that they "have no idea"

In general I agree, but in this case a quick looks at forums and technical conversations leave few doubt about that. They really don't know what's wong with breaking emacs in tty mode when you can use emacs in X11 mode. What can you say to that?

But it's not that other distributions are free of it either. The guy maintaining xterm in Fedora and the one the xterm termcap entry in Fedora make for one hell of a deadly combination, too. They don't even know that messing with this "might" be an issue for remote logins to other Unixes.

Debian and the BSDs are much better here, but at a cost.

nn_step
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Yeah the cost of slower Developement cycles.. But The BSDs are the most stable and complete of all Unix systems.. NetBSD to go onto anything, FreeBSD to get the most of X86 systems, DragonFly to Maximize SMP and OpenBSD to keep your computer completely Secure

Entity_Razer
02-10-2006, 04:35 AM

enlighten us!

for real ,how is a "real unix system" supposed to work? never did get the chance to work on real unix so...

uOpt
02-10-2006, 06:28 AM
enlighten us!

for real ,how is a "real unix system" supposed to work? never did get the chance to work on real unix so...

Don't break any of the Posix-specified commandline utilities, keep the shells intact. Keep the ttys intact. All this implies working termcap entries.

The Ubuntu folks have a very interactive approach. If they have any problem in their user-focus area such as GNOME, installation program or high-level administration program then they try-n-error things until it works for what they are focusing on right now. Something outside their scope such as a working emacs in tty-mode is just not on their testing agenda.

I don't think that Utuntu is that much easier to install and use than e.g. Suse and Fedora to pay that price. At least under Fedora I can get my working environment reasonably easily by just overwriting all dotfiles, that means the programs themselves were not damaged like they are under Ubuntu.

If Fedora had more reliable install and update programs they would clearly be the better choice.

As it is I am often called to help other people with their Linux, which usually consists of instructing them to copy-n-paste something on the commandline or insert something into an ASCII file. If the victim is using Ubuntu that fails much more often than for other Linuxes.

So while the new Ubuntu user thinks everything is fine because all his Klickbunti stuff works, the brokenness under the hood is still a real problem. It is a problem when you increase your knowledge by asking more experienced people for help, because their help might not work and they might getting in a "screw up and your toy Linux" mode. And later if you actually want to learn Unix you wil run into difficulties, too.

cmay119
02-21-2006, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I got Ubuntu about 6-8 months back. It was my very first transistion into linux, and it didn't go very smoothly. I couldn't get my Wireless NIC to run, so it was very tedious to have to dual-boot back to windows everytime I needed assistance.

I'm the ultimate linux n00b, so it was quite an overwhelming experience with the command line and just unusual GUI layout (when comparing to Windows).

The release I used was Ubuntu 5.0.4

nn_step
02-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I got Ubuntu about 6-8 months back. It was my very first transistion into linux, and it didn't go very smoothly. I couldn't get my Wireless NIC to run, so it was very tedious to have to dual-boot back to windows everytime I needed assistance.

I'm the ultimate linux n00b, so it was quite an overwhelming experience with the command line and just unusual GUI layout (when comparing to Windows).

The release I used was Ubuntu 5.0.4
Perhaps you should try www.pcbsd.org it takes noob friendliness to a new level.. it isn't fully realized yet but it is an easy step in the right direction...

mrapples
02-21-2006, 07:32 PM
5.10 also brought a lot better functionality to ubuntu, so i would check that out too

JAWS
03-09-2006, 08:48 AM
Ubuntu has been voted the best Linux distribution on the market by the users of a Linux community site.

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/linuxunix/0,39020390,39256251,00.htm

Haltech
03-28-2006, 02:18 PM
Perhaps you should try www.pcbsd.org it takes noob friendliness to a new level.. it isn't fully realized yet but it is an easy step in the right direction...

Hey thanks alot. They have a Vm Ware iso as well. I got both, the PC ISO and the VM Ware iso :toast:

[XC] DragonOrta
03-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Anyone using Ubuntu know how to get it to recognize each of my dual cores?

[XC] moddolicous
03-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Anyone using Ubuntu know how to get it to recognize each of my dual cores?
This might be of help to you:
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=149232&highlight=dual+core

[XC] DragonOrta
03-28-2006, 07:42 PM
OK. Thanks. SMP kernel, here I come. :D

nn_step
03-28-2006, 07:44 PM
If you really want alot of perfromance for Dual cores might I suggest
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/
Because it is made for multible cores