PDA

View Full Version : PC headphone recommendation

jinu117
01-31-2006, 04:13 PM
Well... recently had to get mp3 player setup for my garage (needed some sound there)... basically using my treo 650 as mp3 player lol... so the speaker that was on computer (about 7 year old creative 2.1) got moved out to garage.
Shopped around and got Klipsch promedia 2 after listen to few things. (don't need huge base really but want the clarity and good sound and it did deliver better than lot of 2.1, etc out there I heard over couple of days at different places)
Now... my couple of times repaired sony MDR-v300 sounds like crap lol. Time to upgrade it to something better as I must be listening to headphone 50% of time as well. Been looking around but I won't mind bit of microphone action and it seems like good headphone's just doesn't have one. Can't seem to find Senheiser HMR-280 pro which seems might be the solution in US at all... so next alternative is Senheiser PC160. Anyone got some expereience? Or should I just stick to HDR-280 or HD-555, etc?
I've been looking at few related forums but they are way too AUDIOPHILE oriented and not suitable for my daily gaming usage of such headphone or listening to music from computer... :P
TIA :)

Magnj
01-31-2006, 05:55 PM
Altec Lansing 502...cheap...good

jinu117
01-31-2006, 09:39 PM
Altec Lansing.. it sounded pretty craptalistic to me last time I heard at BB... It kind of sucks that not too many headphones are available at retail store or displayed -_-. My sony MDR-V300 has much more clarity than that altec lansing headphone. I guess I am looking for mid tier to low tier audophile headphone that will work as dual duty for my gaming headphone... fully enclosed for compfort as I could be using it for extended hours at a time.

OmegaMerc
01-31-2006, 10:51 PM
my bros PC165 from senn just came intoday, he looked VERY happy with the quality, so if thats your budget go for it. Im personally using hd595s with a Zalman ZM-MIC 1. Compact and sleek, very clear sound quality. But then you'd be aiming at about 200$ + shipping.

jinu117
02-01-2006, 12:08 AM
my bros PC165 from senn just came intoday, he looked VERY happy with the quality, so if thats your budget go for it. Im personally using hd595s with a Zalman ZM-MIC 1. Compact and sleek, very clear sound quality. But then you'd be aiming at about 200$ + shipping.

Thought HD595 really needed amp to shine? I have little doubt you would be happy with HD595s. is it possible for you to try out PC165 and tell me how does it compare to your personal preferances? Something different enough to quantify $100 difference which could be used to buy better sound card (xi-fi)..instead of what I am using? Really would appreciate it. Few things without mic I was thinking was
HD280 PRO
HD555
HD580

Now the HMD-280 Pro I was talking about is http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/04976
thing is... I can't seem to find US dealer or any dealer for this one at all. Seems like the best combination of sound and covenience I can ask for... but... can't find it.
PC160 would be an option if your 595 trained ear think it is decent though. TIA :)

axion
02-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Sennheiser Hd580's can find for a bit cheaper than $150 I think.

OmegaMerc
02-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Thought HD595 really needed amp to shine? I have little doubt you would be happy with HD595s. is it possible for you to try out PC165 and tell me how does it compare to your personal preferances? Something different enough to quantify $100 difference which could be used to buy better sound card (xi-fi)..instead of what I am using? Really would appreciate it. Few things without mic I was thinking was
HD280 PRO
HD555
HD580

Now the HMD-280 Pro I was talking about is http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser/icm_eng.nsf/root/04976
thing is... I can't seem to find US dealer or any dealer for this one at all. Seems like the best combination of sound and covenience I can ask for... but... can't find it.
PC160 would be an option if your 595 trained ear think it is decent though. TIA :)

damn my post dissapeared, basically you can read any audiophile forums and they all agree that the HD595 doesn't need an amp to really thump through. My bro is really happy with his pc160, although personally I havn't tested it yet. HD595 is really geared towards luxery type item, when you got money to spend. PC160 is geared towards the higher echelon of gamers who want performance and a good mic.

bullet2urbrain
02-05-2006, 02:19 PM
im rocking the HD457 for everyday use.. not bad like 40bux at most.. sound decent good low end reproduction..but nothing as fancy as the other HD5xx series.

OmegaMerc
02-05-2006, 07:57 PM
Just tryed out my bro's headset, although it has very crisp sound, the headphone fits ontop of your ear, although its pretty confortable, it really doesnt do much in blocking external noises. Its max volume output is also a bit too low for my liking, of course im comparing it to the HD595's which are totaly different categories. Mic was responsive and clear, and the construction as a whole seemed pretty good.

Magnj
02-05-2006, 10:37 PM
im telling you these altecs cannot be beat for 25$

prosbloom225
02-06-2006, 01:09 AM
I've got a pair of sennheiser hd212's that I've had for a couple of years now. Amazing headphones. Great response, and they're only like $60.

BSill
02-06-2006, 05:35 AM
Altec Lanscing Surround Sound

Altec Lanscing Noise Canceling - 40 bucks Best Buy

Magnj
02-06-2006, 08:06 AM
http://www.alteclansing.com/product_details.asp?pID=AHS502I

OmegaMerc
02-06-2006, 11:31 PM
What sometimes we fail to realize is that confort can be a large issue, I had this problem with most of my headsets, that the headphone plastic would cut into my ear, or the ear fitting is way too small or the material that touches the ear causes sweat to slide off it so it becomes bothersome to say the least. :slap:

Charles Wirth
02-06-2006, 11:39 PM
I am checking out the new 8 speaker Turtle Beach "Ear Force HPA"

Retail $99, kinda pricey but very high quality. The best headphones I have tested ever. I had a pair of Altec Lansing

They come with a power transformer block for DC volts and that is a pain for those who like clean wires. The power connects where the heasphones plug into the mobo is its not too bad.

Ok for those who do TV and Game this is a very trick solution if you know how to remap audio or have seperate audio jack on TV tuner card. You can adjust the volume of that audio source.

It has a small amp built in and a detachable mic.

OmegaMerc
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Heard alot of negatives about Ear Force HPA, not limited to how it hurts your head after too much gaming, and how the highs and lows are very weak compared to other hardware.

jinu117
02-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Problem solved... found us retailer that stocks HMD-280Pro :P now, it is tad more expensive than my liking considering HD-280pro's going price...
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=355643&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
Anyone know anywhere else?

Jarrod1937
02-24-2006, 04:35 AM
have you guy's forgotten about the xs <a href="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60774">Headphones guide</a>?
that should answer most of your questions, its stickied for a reason.
however if you did see this and it didn't answer all your questions then i apologise.

jinu117
02-24-2006, 10:31 PM
have you guy's forgotten about the xs <a href="http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60774">Headphones guide</a>?
that should answer most of your questions, its stickied for a reason.
however if you did see this and it didn't answer all your questions then i apologise.

Lovely... someone telling me to read sticky when he can't read what I asked... lol.:slap:

zentrad
02-24-2006, 10:48 PM
How about Senhaiser PC 140...better than crappie altec lansing headphone

[cTx]Philosophy
02-24-2006, 10:58 PM
I have the plantronics dsp500 Counterstrike version, In first person shooters this thing ownzz..
I can hear up down behind me, really makes me a much better player in FPS's
for audio quality these r the best ive ever heard, although my selection isnt verry massive, but they sound good and r cheapo :)

jinu117
02-25-2006, 02:42 AM
I have the plantronics dsp500 Counterstrike version, In first person shooters this thing ownzz..
I can hear up down behind me, really makes me a much better player in FPS's
for audio quality these r the best ive ever heard, although my selection isnt verry massive, but they sound good and r cheapo :)

Actually I was surprised to find Plantronics GameCon Pro sounding VERY good. Unless you go X-Fi + decent headset, this probably is cheapest way to go for good sounding environment (about $50?) USB method. Only bad thing is, BF2 microphone doesn't work with this lol. And that is one game I play quite frequently. And certain sound are more... "exxagerated" with no real control over it. I am pretty sure it is same thing as DSP500.... (this is much better solution than on-board or audigy + good headset lol)

Still not quite 100% happy with palntronics... (and altec still have long way to go for sound quality... unfortunately.)

Makubex_GB
02-26-2006, 05:03 AM
HAnds down best headphones for gaming are Audio Technica's.

Audio Technica ATH-A500 (http://www.audiocubes.com/brand/Audio-Technica/product/Audio-Technica_ATH-A500_Art_Headphones.html) are only about $99 @ Audio Cubes.

They're impedance is a bit high but they work well when connected to a sound card or speakers.

jinu117
04-11-2006, 09:39 PM
Well guess what happened... I ended up getting Audio Technica ATH-A900 and attached shure sm10a microphone on it. Not a cheap combo by any means as I had to get audio buddy pre amp for mike. But god... I can hear way more sound than I did before and .... I can hear all the defects in my mp3 collections... -_-;
I really need to re encode my collections sometime... :P
Microphone works great too obviously as these are broadcast quality microphone.

Heretic
04-12-2006, 06:00 AM
I love my a900. I use a cheap logitech headset as a mic and it works well...

Slayer2k3
04-14-2006, 09:24 AM
I chose the Sennheiser HD-590's over the Grado SR-125's.

They are amazing for movies, gaming, and even more amazing at high-quality music sampling. I love em, best money I've spent on an electronic component since my first LCD screen. :D

HiJon89
04-14-2006, 09:47 AM
I've been loving my HD-555's, perfect for late-night gaming/TV.

v3n
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
DT 770 PRO /80ohm version

sound amazing with an X-FI trust