PDA

View Full Version : [help] 1st time Sata user

n00by
01-24-2006, 05:59 PM
My 2 IDE drives are filling up and I would like to install a Sata drive. What I am concerned is whether it will be plug and play. Since the drive will just be used as extra storage all I have to do is format it from windows via disk management right? No need to install windows on it?

Will I have to configure anything in bios?

Thanks in advance <3 :toast:

Disposibleteen
01-24-2006, 06:17 PM
You may have to set your bios to SATA+PATA or enhanced mode whichever your manufacturer calls it. You dont need to install windows on it just format it within windows and youre good to go.

Major_A
01-24-2006, 06:18 PM
You just install it and format it in Windows. SATA drives don't have jumpers so it's as easy as plugging it in and starting up the computer.

nn_step
01-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Install driver into windows and run.. it isn't hard at all

n00by
01-26-2006, 12:56 AM
My worst nightmare has come true lol... XP does not detect it and bios does not detect it either. The board is a asus k8v btw. The bios has the promise fastrack and sata bootrom options to enable but I have tried both options giving me an option to array. Bootup detects the drive but XP still does not.

Im really confused since I am not arraying. Its just 1 sata drive being used as xtra storage.... Maybe I need to install drivers? Mobo/hd drivers?

Dangit was so pumped up too! :(

nn_step
01-26-2006, 01:36 AM
Controller DRIVERS If you are using a controller card
Mobo DRIVERS if you are using onboard SATA

n00by
01-26-2006, 04:24 AM
Live and learn, live and learn.... 1st I needed a bios update. Then the sata controller update. Then another Seagate Drive Wizard config from windows.... Sigh what a friggin hasssle lol. And the worst part is one second it detects the dam drive the next bootup i get a "bios not installed" SIGHS!

I know officially dread sata :slapass:

Load off my shoulder now that its working. Thanks for the guidance folks <3

n00by
01-26-2006, 04:30 AM
On another note... Can I add another IDE hd on the same ribbon as my dvdrom? Will I need to assign master/slave?

n00by
01-27-2006, 11:56 AM
Spoke too soon. The drive disappeared again and upon bootup i get the fasttrack "bios is not installed" bs mesage again.... sighs.... And I cant update the fasttrack bios through dos since my floppy just does not want to read any disks... blah all my pr0n are trapped in now :(

nn_step
01-27-2006, 12:15 PM
Dude your Actions and response actually EXACTLY match your Title..
If you really care so damn much about your Precious PRon you would have downloaded Knoppix by now and used it to recover your files

n00by
01-28-2006, 11:09 AM
My onboard sata controller bios is fubared. Would not flash to a newer version and even if it did it would revert back. Weird

Had to pick up a pci controller and all is well again. Sata is so confusing.

nn_step
01-28-2006, 11:35 AM
My onboard sata controller bios is fubared. Would not flash to a newer version and even if it did it would revert back. Weird

Had to pick up a pci controller and all is well again. Sata is so confusing.
:rolleyes: Dude that is like saying IDE confuses you :rolleyes:
Everyone learns it with-in one or two screwed up installs