PDA

View Full Version : 1st boot fail with prometeia

super_si
01-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Hi im new :D

Ive just put together my prometia, i tried booting 1st time, the conditioner worked, eventually all power came on but now life out of the monitor.

I take care and time building, but where do i start looking for errors?

Going to take the Conditioner out and see if that makes any different. I dont really want to take the gasket off but.....

Any ideas much appreciated

Si

Hardass
01-25-2003, 10:37 AM
Welcome to Xtreme. What mobo are you running?

super_si
01-25-2003, 10:43 AM
Hi, the spec is

P4 2.8
Abit BE7 Raid
Corsair XMS 3200 512MB plat.
Leadtek A250 4600 Ultra.

Scary thing is it could be anything :confused:

Si

Hardass
01-25-2003, 10:47 AM
I am not running intel but I am running a ABIT mobo. I had to boot the mobo outside the prom before installing. When I first installed in the prometeia it would not boot then a friend told me to set it up outside and boot up. Then install in the prom. It worked.

super_si
01-25-2003, 10:54 AM
ive done that. I had issue's just running with a heat sink. It seem to run at 60degs. Im convinced its the CPU. The prom ran fine, it reachec -44. But not life. Im going to try the Heat sink again. i think the issues somewhere in the build of the core components.

Si

TPR- Darwin
01-25-2003, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by super_si
ive done that. I had issue's just running with a heat sink. It seem to run at 60degs. Im convinced its the CPU. The prom ran fine, it reachec -44. But not life. Im going to try the Heat sink again. i think the issues somewhere in the build of the core components.

Si

44c suggests to me bad contact between Cpu and Copper ''thingy''

super_si
01-25-2003, 12:09 PM
Well its booting fine with a heatsink, so im just happing the cpu isnt dead or anything. After spending since 12 playing with it, im giving up for tonight i think. Well stressed

Si

super_si
01-25-2003, 12:10 PM
Just to add, it was minus 44

Hardass
01-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by TPR- Darwin
44c suggests to me bad contact between Cpu and Copper ''thingy''

-44c is about right if mobo is not booting up. Temp should rise once system boots.

super_si
01-25-2003, 12:11 PM
Yeah shes booting fine now, but why on in the prometeia

TheDude
01-25-2003, 12:57 PM
If it boots fine outside the Prommie....make sure the mounting studs are not grounding on the case anywhere, make sure you have good even contact with evaporator...and give it a try minus the power conditioner...if it boots, then add power conditioner...I tend to suspect power conditioner or one of the above. Hope this helps you.:D

Until you get a post screen, do not add any other components.

super_si
01-25-2003, 01:44 PM
Yep same again :( temperature is saying minus 42 and still no screen. Hard drives have turned on, all fans on gpu chipset work. Just no damm £$£"$" screen.

Si

TheDude
01-25-2003, 01:55 PM
Try it without any uneeded components to get a post screen...disconnect all but CPU, Ram and Video card....no conditioner...hard drives, etc. Does it post with those components ONLY in the Prommie?

Post screen should kick in around -35

super_si
01-25-2003, 02:03 PM
Im currently running just graphics, hard drive, cpu , memory. Worked with the heat sink. Doesnt work now :(

Really pissing me off to put it blunt! cant see why it wouldnt work. Maybe a CMOS reset might sort it. Doubt it like. Might even try putting a fan in the CPU plug just to see if the board thinks theres no fan.

SI

TheDude
01-25-2003, 02:53 PM
May sound like a silly question, but...did you connect power cable from bottom unit inside case to PS? I would connect it to its own connection that has no other components on it?
Hey, I've done stuff like that when I get tired.:D Also make sure the mobo is not grounding on the case anywhere.

super_si
01-25-2003, 02:55 PM
Yeah all wired up right. Theres 3 wires that needed doing.

Im stumpted so is may mate.

Its up to temperature
The cpus not fried yet.

Whats the prob :(

Hardass
01-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Did you email chip-con?

super_si
01-26-2003, 12:07 AM
Yeah did it last night.

Now its getting to -33 and cutting power :(

super_si
01-26-2003, 04:34 AM
Must be something with the cooling unit but what :confused:

Im actually on it now. If i run Kazaa it skyrockets too 60.

ran out of string too, so next attempt wont be till tuesday, but still open to ideas :D

bldegle2
01-26-2003, 06:52 AM
ran out of string already. wow!!!!!!!!!!

man, i have changed out my cpu many times and still have lots of string left.

actually, if you want a tip, the string stuff is reuseable people, i save all the string i pull off, waded into a ball, then roll it carefully back into a skinney string like appearance and use it again.

the stuff is like pure rubber with some additives and is almost like silly putty as far as reuse goes. as far as sealing goes, it works just fine and is actually easier to pull off the next time you need to get into the CPU area, the small amount of oils transferred to the rubber during the rolling from the hands (wash throughly before doing the string rerolling. less hand oil) makes it easier.

works for me, conserves vital resources, saves money and time.

thought you might want to know.

as far as the sucker not posting, or shutting down when its hits -33*c, could be a number of things, even a problem with your motherboard grounding when in the case.

i hope you get it worked out, i love these setups.

baldy

super_si
01-26-2003, 07:13 AM
I think shutting down at -33 was a one off.

I left it for 10min running at -44 no life out of it at all regards booting.

Have to see what chipcon think.

Si

Keeper
01-26-2003, 07:30 AM
might it be the need for a fan on the MB? When I don't have a fan on the CPU MB pins, no boot.

super_si
01-26-2003, 07:33 AM
I tried that aswell. There nothing i havent tried :(

Probably me getting a faulty freezer

TechTones
02-03-2003, 10:26 PM
The first time I tried to boot my Prommy it wouldn't even start.
Seems when I plugged the Power On switch to those two little metal forks on the Prommy Power on wire, one fork didn't get installed right. It was sticking out the side. I could have sworn I plugged it in right.

Take apart the whole system and see if it boots OK with just a heatsink. If it does, reinstall the Prommy but recheck your wiring good.

super_si
02-04-2003, 12:11 AM
Yeah mate, ive done that 3 times. heatsink -> Promie ->heatsink -> Promie ->heatsink -> Promie ->

Still didnt boot, when i say boot. It'd reach -30 then power on BUT only to the 2 fans i had running off the board. My USB mouse or Keyboard didnt light up. Giving us the impression its stuck in a reset loop.

Si

TechTones
02-04-2003, 06:23 AM
Hmm is it possible your display setting were set wrong from the factory??

Maybe you should see what they are set at?

super_si
02-04-2003, 07:07 AM
tbh im quite seriously thinking selling it.

Water cooling seems much easier :D

But prob regrett not spending time getting it working

Si

super_si
02-06-2003, 07:01 AM
Good news is we have a boot !

But without using Conditioner :(

Hardass
02-06-2003, 07:27 AM
I thought you tried it before without the conditioner.

super_si
02-06-2003, 07:47 AM
Yeah but my mate kept the reset button held in until the temperature decreased.

I never thought of that at the time :(