PDA

View Full Version : multi CPU prime 95

Entity_Razer
01-22-2006, 04:19 AM
well I want to stress my Dual Xeon to the limit so I installed prime 95 to let it run on that. Now I only have one instance installed but it doesn't seem to utilize all the CPU's to it's full potential. if I assign an instace to 1 cpu it uses the CPU 100% but if I let it run normal it just uses them all sporadicly. And I cant install more then one instance because then it asks me if I want to uninstall the software?

So is prime 95 suited for multi core/cpu usage or not?
so does it stress ALL cores fully and is it just windows readout error or something? or do I need to copy paste new prime folders?

DeltZ
01-22-2006, 09:59 AM
there is a way to install it twice...i can't remember how...

you might be able to just copy and paste installed folder and just call one prime v1 and v2

then set it to different affinities...

problem i could see is if it's hyper threaded...

and because prime only has affinity 1 and 2

it would use one logical core of each processor. in which you'd need 4 affinities which prime doesn't use...hmm.

gpcola
01-22-2006, 10:18 AM
You'll need to run a copy for each logical processor and set the affinity for each.

Somewhere around here there's a post that details the process...probably in one of the X2 threads.

Edit: maybe this will help:

I read a lot for threads about people wanting to run a max torture test on there rigs but Prime95 only uses 50% of there CPU. Well the answer is here. Run 2 Prime95 torture tests at the same time. Run 2? How do I do that you may ask, well here is how.

First open Prime95, go to advanced and select Affinity and set it to 0. Next open the run command line in the start menu. Now you need to drag the shortcut for Prime in the box that you would type in, it should look similar to this

"C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Shortcut to PRIME95.lnk"

Now you need to add something to the end of that line. You want to add a space at the end and type –a1. So it looks like this

"C:\Documents and Settings\Peter\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Shortcut to PRIME95.lnk" –a1

Press ok and a second Prime95 will open. Now set them both for your torture test of choice.

What if I have more then 2 cores you may be asking? Well that’s simple to. Just keep counting up from 1 for all your cores. i.e. –a1, -a2 –a3 ect…

VParis85
02-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Just make a copy of the folder and run one on affinty 0 and the other on affinity 1

Entity_Razer
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
sorry I didn't reply to PM VPARIS but I had it fixed already :) did what you guys said just copied the folders and set the affinity by hand and then just let them run making different shortcuts :)

I almost got hooked on finding mersenne primes though instead of on rosetta :)