PDA

View Full Version : What's an oil catch tank?

Thrilla
01-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I heard that oil catchers can improve your car performances, but what is it exactly, and what's in the tank? They're like $20ish, not too much, so ya.. just wondering before I buy one. Oh, and is it legal in Canada?

See attachment, is that how it works? Filtering the intake air or something?

Rukee
01-21-2006, 11:40 AM
The only ones I`ve seen attach to the crankcase breather for like blower motors that have such extremely high blowby or crankcase pressure they tend to blow some oil out with the venting of the crankcase pressure, so they`ll run a catch can to reclaim the oil and return it to the oil pan/tank. I don`t think it`d do a daily driver any good at all.

Stewie007
01-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Tis why they call it a "performance" part. You wouldn't run this in your Honda Civic, for example. :p

JasonDTM
01-21-2006, 01:01 PM
Dry sump FTW!

Dry sump is the true way to go, might be a little more expensive but its superior to wet-sump.. even the Z06 corvette production car uses Dry-sump, most racing cars use the dry-sump system as they work in high g-loads and a wet-sump + accusump system doesnt get the oil where it needs to be fast enough in g-loaded corners...

Soulburner
01-21-2006, 03:19 PM
It's commonly called a "catch-can" to catch oil before entering your PCV and dirtying up your intake. It's a so-called fix to the oil consumption on some cars that naturally suck it through the PCV.

It has nothing to do with performance or blown motors really.