PDA

View Full Version : Question on MX-EVA3 units

Bravo
01-24-2003, 05:19 PM
Hello again :)

I spotted (http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8373) Leo's EVA3 unit in the for sale forum, and was wondering just how feasible it was to purchase/fix it up.

I am unable to find any specifications on the compressor (brand/rating) except that it removes 200watts of heat, while maintaining -20 Evaporator temperatures.

What possible flaws does this unit have? If i purchase this unit, and have it gassed (i would probably have the entire length of the coolant line from the compressor replaced), do i have to worry about it?

If i got around to purchasing it, i would probably retire the vapochill i have at the moment, and have a new evaporator head knocked up for the EVA3.

Thanks for your time :)

Leo
01-26-2003, 03:18 AM
Hey Bravo :).

It's an LG compressor, I can get an exact model # for you later on this week.

As for problems, the main flaw with the MX-EVA3 seems to lie in the evaporator/the copper tubing connecting it to the compressor. OPP had his evaporator fall clean off the unit while mine has a break in the tubing leading up to the evap. Some units also had some rather amateur-ish soldering jobs but mine seems to be ok (though they forgot to plug in the wiring job to the compressor, had to fix that myself heh).

I'm not gonna lie to ya, it is kinda risky what you're thinking about undertaking but like I said, most people who did actually get MX-EVA3s found problems with the thing you're going to replace so it could work out well for you.

If you want, I can get more detailed pics for you when I go home to pickup the unit (I live in a college dormitory ATM).

Bravo
01-26-2003, 05:38 AM
Leo, very interested :)

There are several updates i wish to add to the vapochill, and it seems better to cannibalise a dead phase change system over a working one.

Bravo
01-26-2003, 06:02 AM
Leo, would this provide better performance then a classic Vapo?

Leo
01-28-2003, 07:45 AM
From everything I've seen, yes. If you take a look at OPP's review at Icrontic (http://www.icrontic.com/?action=article&id=167), his temps using a Palomino @ 2.16v were around 12C fully stressed. He managed to get that particular chip to run 3DMark at 2.2 GHz flat which was pretty dang good for chips back when the review was written.

Bravo
02-01-2003, 07:02 PM
Hi

I've decided to go ahead, however, i have two questions.

1. With the unit needing a re-gas, does the oil need to be treated because its been exposed to the air?
2. Do i have to worry about damage during transit, e.g. oil leaking, compressor being damaged, etc.... ?

bowman1964
02-03-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Bravo
Hi

I've decided to go ahead, however, i have two questions.

1. With the unit needing a re-gas, does the oil need to be treated because its been exposed to the air?
2. Do i have to worry about damage during transit, e.g. oil leaking, compressor being damaged, etc.... ?

for you if the unit has been opened up .exposing the oil to the outside.i would replace the oil as best you can.because it is a little problem that most ac oils will absorb moisture pretty easy.best thing to do is.
first turn the unit upside down and warm up the compressor with a hair drier .this will help the oil flow out quicker.let the compressor drain for a few hours.now measure the oil that you drained.take that measurement and add a 1/2oz.this will give you you replacement oil charge.
since i am recomending you drain the oil now is the time to use whatever refridgerant you have avalible to you.and use the matching oil to go with it.
and since you are draining the oil i dont think you will have to worry about shipping.:p

Bravo
02-03-2003, 06:56 AM

How difficult would it be to obtain replacement oil? Im new to phase change, but i havent the slightest clue which oil the EVA uses, and in what amounts.

Bravo
02-03-2003, 06:57 AM
Btw, is this compressor powerful enough to be regassed with R404a ?