PDA

View Full Version : Naked CPU - do you use tape?

FZ1
01-18-2006, 04:30 PM
I read somewhere (damned if I can find where) that some people were swearing that putting electrical around their core to cover the surrounding electronic bits hurt their OC. Has anyone else experienced this and what do you use (if anything)? I'm not sure I see a risk not using tape if the waterblock is put on properly unless there is an electrical arc or something.

IvanAndreevich
01-18-2006, 04:52 PM
You read somewhere that sticking tape on your CPU around the core hurths the overclock? :stick:

Should make no difference whatsoever. Be more concerned about chipping it!

FZ1
01-18-2006, 05:01 PM
I swear there was a thread about it but I meander around so much that I forget where. It was just the other day. At least 1 guy claimed is OC went to hell when he put electrical tape around the core. It was suspect that the adhesive had some conductive properties etc etc. Anyway, just wanted to see what peopel thought.

WeStSiDePLaYa
01-18-2006, 06:12 PM
why put tape anyways? to protect the core? i just have little squish pads that came with old thermalright hsu's. im not worried about chipping the core. i dont know why everyone is. it seems they forgot axp cores were ALOT smaller, and never came with ihs.

afireinside
01-18-2006, 06:30 PM
Never have never will. Core chipping is a non issue with a sub 3lb cooler.

Major
01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
It was probably my thread that you read, I had problems with my 180 after putting tape on it to prevent problems with condensation.

But I'm not sure that the tape was the problem now since I could not repeat the results with it. Also EVERYONE that posted in my thread that used eletrical tape reported no problems with it.

I usually use dieletric grease on the cap packs to prevent problems with condensation. If your on air or water then no point in putting anything on the caps.

01-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I also saw that post about tape reducing the OC. I personally do not use tape.

afireinside
01-18-2006, 06:51 PM
Pfft take will make your OCs godly! I ran my 146 @ 3.6ghz with duct tape on the board! (held insulation on)

thunderstruck!
01-18-2006, 07:05 PM
I've seen some people use nail polish..what are they trying to do?

FZ1
01-18-2006, 07:15 PM
It was probably my thread that you read, I had problems with my 180 after putting tape on it to prevent problems with condensation.

But I'm not sure that the tape was the problem now since I could not repeat the results with it. Also EVERYONE that posted in my thread that used eletrical tape reported no problems with it.

I usually use dieletric grease on the cap packs to prevent problems with condensation. If your on air or water then no point in putting anything on the caps.
Yes, thank you I wasn't nuts. Why couldn't I find this thread? LOL. Thanks for clarification...I was looking for the thread for updates.

kiwi
01-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Usually I don't put anything, sometimes I put pads if cooler is very heavy. The only thing I did was put some nail polish on resistors but that was for DICE run only.

CRUSH-ER
01-18-2006, 10:47 PM
Yup electrical tape here, no problemo. Have posted pi 32m shots up the wazoo and prime stability at high HTT, no problem. :toast:

Budwise
01-19-2006, 07:38 PM
for just a Storm block is tape really necessary, or is it more for sub zero temps?

afireinside
01-19-2006, 07:41 PM
for just a Storm block is tape really necessary, or is it more for sub zero temps?

Not needed for anything. I can't see a purpose in it... I've run @ -70C for 5 hours straight with nothing on them.

CRUSH-ER
01-19-2006, 08:30 PM
I agree - it's not necessary at all. All my past IHS less cpu's worked great with none. I just felt obliged to with a more expensive Opteron in case of some freaky freak of nature moment that would happen. :)