PDA

View Full Version : please advise me by this..:)(opteron)

kraller
01-16-2006, 11:39 AM
hi !..

i'm not any hardcore overclocker, actually a noob:rolleyes: .. but i'm maybe about to build an opteron system, but i need some advise..

which of these systems would be best?

ASUS A8N-E
2x1 gb Kingston Value RAM
Tagan 430w PSU
tower case
and then a AMD 3700+ sandiego

OR

Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
2x1 gb Geil value RAM
Tagan 430w psu
tower case
and a opty 146(2ghz)

both systems are about the same prices, but would you prefer the first or second?
the idea with the last one, was to take advantage of the opterons skills to oc, and then put some more money in RAM.. do you think thats a good idea? and would a opty 146 perform as a A64 4000+ at 2.4ghz? as they, basicly, are the same cpu.

I dont know much about oc, and my biggest question is. Does an oc'ed proccesor (example) on on 2.5 ghz, perform the same as a non-oc'ed processor at the same clock (2.5ghz)?

like if you oc'ed a 3700+ (2.2ghz) to 2.4ghz, would you then get an identical cpu as the 4000+(2.4ghz) ? or is there more to it?

thank you for your time:)

Cooper
01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
I suggest to pick Asus non SLI mobo (I guess you`re not planning to go SLI) and Opteron 146. Saved money could be used to buy better RAM - not that value one ;)

kraller
01-16-2006, 12:19 PM
okay, thank you for advicing me, but i've heard the geil value ram should be allright to oc that opty.. but it's correct that i'm not planning Sli, the board just seemed to be the best, of what i have heard, in that class for opty.. which other mb would you suggest?

uF4No
01-16-2006, 12:26 PM
2nd option is better. If I were you I'd buy a DFI LAnparty Mobo.

Fhqwhgads6680
01-16-2006, 01:26 PM
If you could, get the DFI nf4 Ultra-d you can mod these very easily later to enable SLI and if you ever choose to get into overclocking they are a GREAT platform.

Also If you can find the 146 in stock then go for it, but I have found it much easier to find the 148's and they are actually cheaper than the 3700+. about 210 for OEM.

and finally for your ram....Unless you really need it don't go with the 2x1gb, you don't need it for things other than 3ds max, or intense photoshop and SOME games, but you can get a 2x512mb set that is of much higher quality for cheap.

if you have anymore questions then shoot. Hope that helps some.

payne280
01-16-2006, 01:51 PM
If you can get the DFI Lanparty Ultra-D as they are great clockers and can be modded to SLI very easily.

not sure if you need the 2gb of ram as only a few games use more than 1gb, I would say go for some high quality 2x512gb as it would help with the overclocking.

Newbie_User
01-17-2006, 12:27 AM
To payne280 : of course, 2 Bg seems to be a lot, but believe me, playing BF2 or FEAR with 2 Gb is a necessity....especially with other monsters coming.
I think about hellgate London...2007

To kraller :
The non-SLI mobo is not a bad choice.
You'll have some more room and some more PCI or PCI-E ports available than on an SLI mobo....

SLI is for gaming addicts or record holders.....
save the amount of money you've planned to get one good card instead of two ;)
But a 6800 GT seems to be the minimum...a 7800 GT is better.
Of course, you could also take an ATI X1800 XL....

For the Opty confronted to the san Diego....
Almost same core....revision must be slightly different.
Take the Opty....but verify that he will score well.....check serail number on the IHS....:)

Take 2 Gb over 1 Gb but buy some good thermal paste and some radiators for your mem sticks.....this will help to get your rig stable....(and mem voltage up to 3.0 V easy...:)

I would advise you to go for a Dual-Core chip.....
And a Crossfire mobo.....to get two X1600XT board in Crossfire (without master card ;)
score (see about that in Extrem3DTeam section.....)

Score in Crossfire are 11500 (03) and 8400 (05) ;)
Not bad for a set of 170-200 € cards....

The Tagan PSU is quite good and silent......it's important.
However, i had some compatibility problems...and some issues must have had a link with my tagan PSU.....nothing important...
But a Seasonic S12 or Antec Neo2 should do fine......their power consumption is more efficient than the Tagan....

Also, if you want to create a good gaming rig.....make it silent....
Run as many as vents as you can....@ low speeds :p:
and get a great ventirad...for your CPU.....(Such as Threamlright XP90C or XP120....)
Artic Cooling or zalman products are quite good to cool down a GPU (and mem)

Keep us informed pls....;)

Good luck

P.S. :
an over@ CPu will run faster than a stock CPU at the same readen frequency....
Caus' the sppeds of your caches L1 and L2 will improve with the increase of HTT parameter.....
So an overclock CPu should always do faster.....surely if your memory is sync.....
Imagine a Opty 146 @ 2.0 stock....so 10x200.
You can get it to 2000 @ 8x250...with your RAM sync.....

Or you will get 2475 Ghz @ 9x275.....with your RAM @ 240 or 275.....
A stock 2400 Ghz CPU will be outperformed....unless you overclock it.... ;)

kraller
01-18-2006, 01:52 AM
i'm not actually building it right now, but I just wanted to know how it would work. thx for your answers, everyone:)