PDA

View Full Version : horizontal drawup of tec setup

g.l.amour
01-24-2003, 01:36 AM
sry for spamming u guys about this topic, but there just is not alot of experts in the tec field.

Kosmos
01-24-2003, 02:10 AM
yes it will

g.l.amour
01-24-2003, 02:18 AM
i presume that a foam gasket would be near impossible to mount there correctly. so basically u just slobber it all up with non conductive grease?

Kosmos
01-24-2003, 02:25 AM
dunno, i would try and make one out of neoprene, but greace would do fine i presumeas long as the heat from the pelt wont make it liquid...

Try make one in neoprene first!

KnightElite
01-24-2003, 08:37 AM
Yeah, actually you want to insulate the entire socket assembly. You don't need to insulate right around the die though.

www.octools.com has a great article on socket insulation.

g.l.amour
01-24-2003, 09:35 AM
thx for that link... :cool:

however, surfed away to your site, and it is also great to see what the meaning of all the insulation is.

theres some good stuff in there for an article.

btw, did u get some sort of relay hooked to the pelt psu so your pelt powers down with pc in case of too high temps? it is pix like that of your maze that initially is holding me back to making my own pelt setup.

if i were to do it, i would use a relay for the pelt psu though.

KnightElite
01-24-2003, 06:04 PM
Yes, actually a friend of mine, who goes by pHaestus and is staff at www.procooling.com helped me out quite a bit with a lot of things for this project. He had some relays, which we modded into a power bar. So now there's a molex connector hooked to the power bar, and if there isn't 12V going into it, no power goes through. The pump and the TEC PSU are hooked up through that. Works quite well, and eliminates the danger of forgetfullness, unless you forget to plug the relay into a molex connector :eek:;).

As to an article, I'm thinking about it, but I'm not sure if I'm ambitious enough to write one :D.

g.l.amour
01-25-2003, 01:09 AM
tec q's hardly get answered at procooling... wasn't Ph part of voidyourwarranty, some time ago? there were some really leet articles there about electrics and stuff.

well, for the tecs; i think i now know enough of the pratical side to pull it off. still wondering if its worth the increase in electrical bill. it is apparent though that if u want one of these new tbreds and run em at 2.2V to get to 2700+MHz then normal watercooling is hardly going to cut it.

Tedinde
01-25-2003, 05:49 AM
http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5000-PT.asp

Swiftecs have the nicest gasketing built in, that i've owned. It's hell to make it condensation proof and still make it look good.

And forget about molex connectors on high amp pelts, They eventually burn out.

KnightElite
01-25-2003, 05:59 AM
Agreed, don't use molex connectors on the pelt. The molex connector is only for the relay, so that it knows when to supply 120V AC power to the pump and TEC power supply.

Yeah, Ph was the owner of voidyourwarranty, but he decided it wasn't worth it to him to maintain the site.

I'll have to agree with Tedinde as to choice of TECs. Swiftech definitely has the best premade TEC setup. Unfortunately, I bought mine in parts, and they neglected to send the gasket...
Next time I'll just order from the states I think.