PDA

View Full Version : P5WD2-E Prem cold boot issues?

sativaman84
01-15-2006, 09:39 PM
Really anticipating the arrival of the newer 975xe chipset boards, but really curious if anyone knows if they got rid of the cold boot issues? Because i've read that myself like many others have issue of system completely turning off for a second when reseting. Running a vapo on the board was great but hated playing with OC in bios as it would take an additional 5 mins between reboots.

Also, has any found where you can order this board or the WS version equivilant?

Thanks!:toast:

boostedevo
01-16-2006, 03:08 AM
You do realize that hard reboots only occur >240FSB on the P5WD2 Prem, right? That's not a cold boot issue, it's the way they BIOSes are. Try say 200-220FSB and it will "magically" reboot without turning the board off ;)

It's a PITA waiting for the system to equalize when looking for the stable OC though with lots of reboots. I don't know if the Vapo controllers just monitor 5V lines like the G-Frosters, but a quick fix is to slap 3 AA batteries together (4.5V) and connect them to the monitor line. If the monitor line connects to a regular 4-pin molex and you have a spare PSU, hook it up to that PSU and leave it on while you play. Either way, the controller will never know the PC shuts off because it's not powered by the system. After you finish OCing or messing around in BIOS 500x, reconnect it like it's supposed to be so it works off the mobo/main PSU...

I haven't seen the WS board for sale anywhere yet, but I think the 975X boards will finally be out soon...seeing reviews of the -E and the -E listed for sale and "in stock" somewhere (waiting to verify they are), etc.

^don.k's^
01-16-2006, 07:07 AM
Really anticipating the arrival of the newer 975xe chipset boards, but really curious if anyone knows if they got rid of the cold boot issues? Because i've read that myself like many others have issue of system completely turning off for a second when reseting. Running a vapo on the board was great but hated playing with OC in bios as it would take an additional 5 mins between reboots.

Also, has any found where you can order this board or the WS version equivilant?

Thanks!:toast:

First time i saw it on my p5wd2 premium i got scared, but it's normal, it does that when OCed the systems as already had answered... I only had to wait about 3-4 seconds, maybe till some caps get discharged or something...:stick:

sativaman84
01-16-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I know it only happens when it's above 240ish but i'm looking to get a pressler and do something along the lines of 330/340 and really don't wanna deal with the Hard boot issue any longer.

I like the idea of rigging it, but i'm gonna keep my fingers crossed at the moment for a board that wont do that:D

dj_ski69
01-16-2006, 08:43 AM
I have a P5WD2-E Prem....and yes it does shutoff when you get up there in FSB....This is normal at least since the P5AD2 Premium from last year or so...

SkI

sativaman84
01-16-2006, 10:48 AM
I have a P5WD2-E Prem....and yes it does shutoff when you get up there in FSB....This is normal at least since the P5AD2 Premium from last year or so...

SkI

Yeah, I was just really hoping this one would fix that little issue. Oh well still gonna buy

smsmasters
11-22-2006, 04:05 AM
Sorry for replying to an old topic, but will a BIOS upgrade ever be released to fix this?

smsmasters
02-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Hi, I was wondering if the ASUS P5B + P5WDH suffer from this reboot problem (power going off then on when rebooting_ when the FSB is increased?