PDA

View Full Version : iMacIntel disassembled "pics"

JAWS
01-14-2006, 06:20 PM
http://www.kodawarisan.com/k2006/archives/2006/01/imac_core_duo_a.html

notice that the processor is not soldered to the motherboard. maybe a chance to upgrade? :)

edit.... http://mactree.sannet.ne.jp/%7ekodawarisan/imac_intel/imac_intel01.html this mirror is slow, try first link click on pic then follow mirror

Arkangyl
01-14-2006, 09:44 PM
kinda sucks they had to solder the video card portion onto it though.

but yea, I'm sure a CPU upgrade is possible, I can't see them hard-coding that much into the BIOS besides the functionality for a CPU core-type [Yonah]

the_new_guy
01-15-2006, 01:14 AM
cool man, the actually put a socket,

\Karting_freak
01-15-2006, 03:47 AM
what socket is that?!?!

MaxxxRacer
01-15-2006, 05:27 AM
Socket 479.. = Intel mobile socket..

the IntelImac is essentially a yonah laptop with a funky stand.

\Karting_freak
01-15-2006, 10:08 AM
hm
what is the cheapest imac with yohan?
i wanna try to oc it )

Spanky Deluxe
01-15-2006, 03:29 PM
what is the cheapest imac with yohan?

Its $1299 in the US but you can get a decent educational discount if you're a student (or you know someone that is).

To be honest if you want to overclock something like that your best bet would be to wait for the Intel PowerMac replacements or the Mac Mini replacement which should all be based upon Yonah or Merom. The mini will also be significantly cheaper than the iMac!!

Spanky

JAWS
01-15-2006, 03:47 PM
The mini will also be significantly cheaper than the iMac!!

Spanky

yep that’s what I was thinking. the original macmini was overclockable up to 1.9 or 2 GHz. I think.

POGE
01-16-2006, 12:28 PM
Lol, its just a pc with a security chip. :|

Vapor
01-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Lol, its just a pc with a security chip. :|Has the protection mechanism been confirmed yet?

Andrew LB
01-18-2006, 01:38 AM
Has the protection mechanism been confirmed yet?

As far as i know its not confirmed. But i'm sure a little soldering can bypass it right quick. ;)

JamesAvery22
01-18-2006, 08:31 PM
So is that sl8vq a yonah? I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing those pop up on ebay.. :D

Vapor
01-18-2006, 10:34 PM
Just as soon as we get motherboards for them I'm sure....which will be around the time that we get Yonah in retail.

novagamer
01-20-2006, 05:24 PM
yep that’s what I was thinking. the original macmini was overclockable up to 1.9 or 2 GHz. I think.

A hair over 1.7ghz is the highest I can recall seeing. I'm pretty sure most people topped out around 1.6ghz max stable, but the general overclock was to 1.5ghz. I'm actually typing this on a mac mini o/c'd to 1.5ghz. :)

These new macs are going to be hard to overclock because the multipliers are set by intel on the cpus (like usual). Most of the mac overclocking is done via changing resistors around to change that multiplier.

The imac FLIES by the way, if you've ever used osx then you know how slow it can get especially with a lot of windows open using expose (particularly f9). It was smooth as butter on the 20" imac I used at the apple store. I really want to get one, but I don't know if I can jutify it.

antipop
01-28-2006, 07:07 PM
kinda sucks they had to solder the video card portion onto it though.

but yea, I'm sure a CPU upgrade is possible, I can't see them hard-coding that much into the BIOS besides the functionality for a CPU core-type [Yonah]
There is no BIOS but an EFI instead and from what i heard this can do some pretty nice stuff.

[XC] mysticmerlin
01-28-2006, 09:32 PM
antipop,
What is EFI other than Electronic Fuel Injection? I googled it so I didn't have to ask and look like a dumb a$$ but not finding it. I get that it is a rom like image for replacing the bios but what does it stand for?

antipop
01-28-2006, 10:18 PM
antipop,
What is EFI other than Electronic Fuel Injection? I googled it so I didn't have to ask and look like a dumb a$$ but not finding it. I get that it is a rom like image for replacing the bios but what does it stand for?
damn i thought i was posting on a car forum :D

Without kidding EFI stands for Extensible Firmware Interface, it's way more evolved than the bios and allows you to do more stuff on it. It's closer to the Openfirmware than to the BIOS. However my knowledge on the EFI is rather limited

JAWS
01-29-2006, 07:05 PM
http://neosmart.net/blog/dual-booting-windows-xp-on-a-macbook/

not sure if this works 100%, but it didn't take long

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-11-2006, 05:22 AM
Now if some one can make a .exe file out of it for the Windowz peps so they can understand it. LOL :stick: But still I agree jaws didn't take very long to do it, But does it count as installing for the 10k prize as he is basically pasting a image on it not installing it?

dippyskoodlez
02-12-2006, 10:52 AM
http://neosmart.net/blog/dual-booting-windows-xp-on-a-macbook/

not sure if this works 100%, but it didn't take long

this method is completely untrue and that guy is a scammer. one of his steps is boot to a windows vista cd.

If it was that easy, why do the rest? :rolleyes:

Anti
02-12-2006, 09:46 PM
has anyone taken out the yonah chips and put it in a desktop?

[XC] mysticmerlin
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Is there any Mobo's that can use the chip yet? I googled it and didn't find it anyways.

Platform
03-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Socket 479.. = Intel mobile socket..

the IntelImac is essentially a yonah laptop with a funky stand.

Well, not really:

3.5" HDD
17/20" Screen
Power brick built-in
PCI Express with X1600
Previous iMac's use regular RAM not SO-DIMM's, had a desktop chip (PPC G5)

The only thing laptop about it is the current CPU, and that is not because of heat restrictions, but availability of any other new Intel CPU's ;)