PDA

View Full Version : DFI Expert -- Serial ATA question???

demonbane23
01-13-2006, 03:20 PM
I just got the new 150gig raptor from the UPS man ,,, and was wondering which serial port to use,,,, Do I use the Nfoce4 ports on the expert or the silicon image,,, SATA port,,, ? and why is both an option im not sure?

FragTek
01-13-2006, 03:22 PM
U can use either really... Only advantage to using the nvidia raid is that it supports SATA2, but the Raptor 150 isn't SATA2 so u can use it on either chipset u'd like :)

cupra
01-13-2006, 03:37 PM
U can use either really... Only advantage to using the nvidia raid is that it supports SATA2, but the Raptor 150 isn't SATA2 so u can use it on either chipset u'd like :)

yep fragtek, we wish that he was sata2 :cool:

mdzcpa
01-13-2006, 03:43 PM
I'd suggest the Nvidia ports. I've found them to be faster (marginally), and the command queing works well too (although command queing really isn't a big deal in non server applications).

demonbane23
01-13-2006, 03:47 PM
yep fragtek, we wish that he was sata2 :cool:

yeah kind of baffled me that they released the new raptor after all this time and they go 10k rpm and 16mb cache but not SATA2,,, i mean why not go top of the line technology wise but i guess they didnt want to do the extra development,,, who knows,,,,

demonbane23
01-13-2006, 03:49 PM
thanks for the info guys

ionicle
01-13-2006, 03:55 PM
try port one?

The Coolest
01-13-2006, 05:18 PM
They didn't want to go with SATAII because its not mature enough in their opinion. They wanted a rock solid product with no compatibility problems, interface wise, and SATA I provides that. No current drive can really take advantage of the 300MB/s SATA II provides anyway...

Major
01-13-2006, 05:37 PM
They didn't want to go with SATAII because its not mature enough in their opinion. They wanted a rock solid product with no compatibility problems, interface wise, and SATA I provides that. No current drive can really take advantage of the 300MB/s SATA II provides anyway...

Thats what I've heard too, it also outperforms ALL available SATA/SATAII drives on the market so not being SATAII didn't seem to hurt the performance any ! lol

mdzcpa
01-13-2006, 06:58 PM

Thats what I've heard too, it also outperforms ALL available SATA/SATAII drives on the market so not being SATAII didn't seem to hurt the performance any ! lol

I fully agree on both accounts. The new Raptors simply don't need to be SATAII to be effective and successful. Smart move on their part actually. It seems they know exactly what they're doing.

FragTek
01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
The drives would have only seen a slight advantage in sustained data transfer speed but I'm not sure it would be worth the compatibility issues. Probably the exact reason WD decided to hold off.

demonbane23
01-13-2006, 10:55 PM
ahh got ya it makes sense when described that way,,, well i just finished formatting it and windows is in the middle of installing,,,, damn I always forget how long a fresh hard drive takes to format,,,,

FragTek
01-14-2006, 03:38 AM
ahh got ya it makes sense when described that way,,, well i just finished formatting it and windows is in the middle of installing,,,, damn I always forget how long a fresh hard drive takes to format,,,,
On a brand new hard drive you don't need to do a standard format, you can do a quick format and achieve the same results as a standard (read as: takes for ever) format since there was no data to wipe from any of the sectors.

Just an FYI for next time you slap in a new HD :)

irev210
01-14-2006, 03:45 AM
if you use the SI 3114, you are stuck on the PCI bus.

If you use the nvidia offering, you are directly connected via the hyper transport.

I had a rocky start with my DFI expert with it acting really odd, but now it is rocksolid and I am loving it!

Careless
01-14-2006, 04:30 AM
I use the nVidia ports instead of the Si 3114 ones on my K8NXPSLi (yep... same setup as the DFI boards)

i find that they work much better, and i saw some increased speeds (as the dude who put this computer together that my dad told me to buy from decided to use the SI ones)

the nvidia ones also tell you about the drive health, and are much easier to manage using the built in nvidia utility if your DFI mobos have it.

and i find the support for the nvidia chipset is way better tha SI3114.