PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else?

Penguin4x4
01-23-2003, 03:30 PM
In the many forums that I browse in most of the ad banners there(and yes here too) seem to come from the IP address 127.0.0.1. Not sure about the validity of this in others machines but I get 3 tracking cookies(spyware) in my computer when Internet Explorer loads the banners. Its not 3 per visit but just 3. I present this isssue because I usually have something screwy in my computer that no one has ever heard of, and I wantedto see if this happens to anyone else?

shray
01-23-2003, 04:35 PM
you have the tcpip hosts list modded right? thats why..

what ya could do is find a server like it, cept completely blank and quick..

felix88
01-23-2003, 05:20 PM
the banner never loads correctly for me, but if i hit the back button once, IE says it's downloading something from 127.0.0.1 and i have to hit back again just to get out of the page.

Penguin4x4
01-23-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by felix88
the banner never loads correctly for me, but if i hit the back button once, IE says it's downloading something from 127.0.0.1 and i have to hit back again just to get out of the page.

Hmm, so I am not alone in this...(me not alone, thats different:D)

KnightElite
02-17-2003, 07:34 PM
Same thing was happenning to me. I was irritated at having to hit BACK twice, so I found out that Kazaa Lite mods your hosts file to block over a thousand add servers, all the most common one with the retarded pop-up adds. XS adds come from one of these.

To make it work, click where the banner should show up, find out which add server it is, then go to your hosts file, which is located in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc, at least in Windows XP, and find that add server and remove it from the list.

The unmodified hosts file looks like this:

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

muzz
02-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Isn't 127.0.0.1 the addy Norton AV gives you when you have it loaded for autoprotection?

KnightElite
02-19-2003, 12:55 PM
127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address... basically, that address doesn't exist in the real world, and if you ping it, or do anything to it, that is actually sending back to your own machine. So if you redirect something to 127.0.0.1, that tells the hosts file that you don't want to see whatever is there.