PDA

View Full Version : TT Big Typhoon underperforms in closed case???

Webmonkey
01-12-2006, 06:05 AM
I have been reading this review that praises the BT for its performance in the traditional open test enviroment, but slams it when it comes to its performance in a closed case.

I would be very interested in hearing about experiences from people who have a close non-modded case with average airflow and uses the Typhoon.

Here is the english conclusion from the review at: http://www.hardware-test.com/ht/test_show.asp?id=4653

" That the Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler would perform this badly, was a big surprise for me. Beforehand, I had heard a lot of good things about this cooler, and yes, it can perform, but sadly not in the environment that a standard computer case has to offer.
This test will probably raise some discussion because of the different results it offers compared to a lot of other tests, but the results have been double and triple checked.
I don’t think the results are caused by a defective product, but rather that the cooler indeed only can perform well in open or modified cases, where the fan is fed with sufficient fresh air to perform according to its specifications, and it is probably in open cases or entirely open test systems that the other good results are achieved.

It's a tough rating, but a CPU cooler have to be able to perform in a closed case, and therefor i have to rate it after that scenario."

farooqm
01-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Hmmm.. mine seems OK, idle's around 27-32, under load 37-43
depending on room temp and the volts I put through it.. BUT the case I have does have 80mm fan grill holes in the side panel, this is located just above the CPU fan :)

chew*
01-12-2006, 08:46 AM
same goes here TT Sonata case with a 80mm side panel fan right on top of my TT BT. no problems here. temps nice and low. CPU 19C idle although abits Idle temps are artificial add 10C to that. Load temps are accurate on abit @ 37C-39C cpu @ 10x250 1.4 v

uOpt
01-12-2006, 08:52 AM
The BT must underperform in a closed tower case.

Reasons include:

As opposed to other HSFs like the Cooler Hamster Hyper 6 it doesn't shuttle the used air towards the fans in the rear of the case.
It is high and heavy, so if you have the board upright in a tower case there will be enormous pressure on the lower edge of the IHS and it will be lifted off the upper half. There will be nothing close to even pressure - which makes for bad flow of heat.

At the very least you need to construct a stake from the bottom of the case supporting the top of the BT.

chew*
01-12-2006, 09:01 AM

Reasons include:

As opposed to other HSFs like the Cooler Hamster Hyper 6 it doesn't shuttle the used air towards the fans in the rear of the case.
It is high and heavy, so if you have the board upright in a tower case there will be enormous pressure on the lower edge of the IHS and it will be lifted off the upper half. There will be nothing close to even pressure - which makes for bad flow of heat.

At the very least you need to construct a stake from the bottom of the case supporting the top of the BT.

No it doesnt shuttle air to the back of the case but it is assumed that if you are using air cooling you are making sure that you have good case airflow.....

Heavy..............No its really not. It's actually quite light.Very light in fact. A definition for Heavy would be a thermalright slk 800 or 900 for axp. Now those were heavy. I have one here in front of me would you like me to weigh it?

If installed properly ( which would be your own hardware and not TT's ) it applies even pressure and is thus clamped down providing even pressure. I can attest to this because i have my IHS ( Float Mounted ) on my die. That means the IHS has been removed thermal paste applied and the only thing holding it in place is the TT BT.

I move my case around alot so according to your statement My cpu is working flawlessly with most likely a crushed core and the IHS is prolly right up against the smd resistors shorting them out.

thinkingbear
01-12-2006, 01:27 PM

News to me and many other TTBT owners I am sure :)

A tenant of air cooling (indeed a law of thermodynamics!) is no HSF will cool your CPU below the temperature of the air around it. If putting a setup into a case raises temps 9° at the same RPM/HTT/vCore then it is because the air inside the case being pulled over the HS by the fan is 9° warmer, simple as that, regardless of the HSF used. Different heatsinks at different heights and fan placements will pull air from different parts of the case accounting for some variation, but in a properly ventilated case the Temp delta between different areas should not be very great.

Only other consideration would be a seal has broken on one of the reviewer's heatpipes causing it to lose it vaccuum, making it respond poorly to the horizontal compared to vertical orientation, or something occurred during install to interfere with the contact between IHS and HS base.

I resisted getting a TTBT because of concerns over the weight, but once I had it in my hands I could feel the center of mass really was towards the base. Given the concerns over its weight I searched high and low anywhere for a single case of someone saying "the TTBT pulled out my socket" or "the TTBT warped my board" and I couldn't find one so I bought one and glad I did.

uOpt
01-12-2006, 02:31 PM
Heavy..............No its really not. It's actually quite light.

It is not the actual mass of the heatsink that makes it heavy for the purpose of this discussion.

But most of the mass that it has is very far away from the CPU, and that means if you mount the board vertically you will have enormous lever forces pressing the bottom of the CPU into the socket and the same forces will reduce the pressure on all other parts of the IHS.

Even pressure is much better for thermal conductivity than uneven pressure.

Should be very obvious, I wonder what the discussion is :confused:

WesM63
01-12-2006, 02:49 PM
umm.. my BT performs the same while standing up or laying down with no case side on. :confused:

chew*
01-12-2006, 03:02 PM
It is not the actual mass of the heatsink that makes it heavy for the purpose of this discussion.

But most of the mass that it has is very far away from the CPU, and that means if you mount the board vertically you will have enormous lever forces pressing the bottom of the CPU into the socket and the same forces will reduce the pressure on all other parts of the IHS.

Even pressure is much better for thermal conductivity than uneven pressure.

Should be very obvious, I wonder what the discussion is :confused:

If thats the case then you have to say that for all cpu heatsinks as they are all mounted sideways thus having a downward pull. As far as enourmous forces goes i dropped my other pc after working on it other day, still works fine for me, the bottom of case is dented though where it landed on one foot more than the others. Once again if mounted properly this is not an issue.

uOpt
01-12-2006, 03:06 PM
If thats the case then you have to say that for all cpu heatsinks as they are all mounted sideways thus having a downward pull.

Yeah, but the pull gets bigger as the distance of the center of mass is from the CPU increases (aka lever forces).

If you have a tight mount you probably don't see it in temperature readings but you shouldn't underestimate it either.

[XC] leviathan18
01-12-2006, 03:17 PM
2° degrees diference with case open or closed but i guess is cuz my TTBT is too near the thing that hold my 2 side 80mm fans for my video cards... i guess the reviewer had a bad TTBT or bad mounting

SamHughe
01-12-2006, 04:29 PM
Himm...my Thermalright SI-120 gives me 33-36C idle 47-50C at load with 64CFM silenx fan on it. Got Lian-Li pc7077b case, unmodded, side panel closed. Opening side panel lowers the temps about 10C all around. I thought TT-BT would give me better results under the same conditions but, I am wrong I guess.

thinkingbear
01-12-2006, 05:23 PM

Yes, Torque = Force x Length of Lever Arm. For the purposes of this disussion the length of lever arm is the distance from the socket to the center of mass, force is the force of gravity with 1 kg = 9.8 Newtons.

And I think that is where the room for discussion comes in, your statement that "most of the mass is far away from the CPU". I would say the opposite, most of the mass is closer to the base making the lever arm shorter and thus the torque on the socket less than you seem to think.

If you took a TTBT, placed the middle of it on your knife-edged hand and then let go, it would rotate around the fulcrum formed by your fingers and fall which way, to the side with the base or the side with the fins? Seeing is believing so I will let you do it yourself.

CanadianTSi
01-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Mine Idle's in the high Teens and full loads at 38 in a totally closed, almost silent case...

Dr_at_Home
01-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Himm...my Thermalright SI-120 gives me 33-36C idle 47-50C at load with 64CFM silenx fan on it. Got Lian-Li pc7077b case, unmodded, side panel closed. Opening side panel lowers the temps about 10C all around. I thought TT-BT would give me better results under the same conditions but, I am wrong I guess.About the same for me.. around 10+c less if the side is off. I'm really thinking about adding a 120mm fan into the window sometime.

(I say 10c+ because i've only let it run for like 10 minutes with the side off, so it might drop afew more C over time.)

SamHughe
01-12-2006, 07:25 PM
About the same for me.. around 10+c less if the side is off. I'm really thinking about adding a 120mm fan into the window sometime.

(I say 10c+ because i've only let it run for like 10 minutes with the side off, so it might drop afew more C over time.)

I'm using one of those so-called "silent fans" on the HS. I bet my temps would be much better, If I replace it with a panaflo or something. But hey, I wanted a quiet system so those are the temps I have to live with.

thinkingbear
01-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Mine Idle's in the high Teens and full loads at 38 in a totally closed, almost silent case...
Dude, is your PC outside or what? What 'almost silent' case?

[XC] 4X4N
01-12-2006, 09:07 PM
I have a completely closed case, motherboard mounted upright. Case temp is 23-24. My idle is 30-31 and load never goes above 45. No complaints here, although my xp90 did almost as good, but with a much louder fan.

CanadianTSi
01-12-2006, 09:13 PM
Dude, is your PC outside or what? What 'almost silent' case?

It's sitting on my floor next to me, it's in a Antec Superlanboy with 2x 120mm Intake and 1 120mm Exhaust.

thinkingbear
01-12-2006, 09:23 PM
It's sitting on my floor next to me, it's in a Antec Superlanboy with 2x 120mm Intake and 1 120mm Exhaust.
2 120mm intakes on the floor makes sense, and your room must be a bit on the cool side like 15°? Are you using stock fan on the TTBT?

NightCrawler™
01-12-2006, 11:00 PM
In my case with an extra 120mm intake on the front I get a case temp of 23-24C, my CPU idles at 30-31 and 40-41 at load with a room temp of 20-21C
With my window sidepanel of I gain 1C.. and twice the noise LOL

NC™