PDA

View Full Version : Which Cpu would you rather have

Daveb2012
01-12-2006, 03:42 AM
Opteron is a little less money. but which cpu for these needs, Playing computer games, and maybe using the interenet. I don't use any other programs. I always thought if im not multi tasking, ever then I dont need dual core. I know I can get a really good over clock with that opteron 150 and from I have heard a single core right now works better with current games then a lowered clocked dual core cpu.

Opteron 150
2.4ghz http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103593#DetailSpecs

Opteron 165:
1.8ghz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103588

guys please explain when you answer why one over another.

The Coolest
01-12-2006, 04:43 AM
If you are going to be running both at stock speeds, and strictly gaming/browsing web and not ANYTHING else, go for the 150 Opty. But if you have overclocking in mind or you will be doing things like burning CD/DVDs and doing other things simultaniously I'd get the 165.
Its really easy to say that all you'll ever do with a computer is browse the web or play games, but rarely that actually happens and you end up doing a lot more with your PC than just those two things. It is also very nice to be able to do a lot of things at once without lag, so keep all that in mind when you decide.

Also if you want your CPU to last I'd get a Dual Core. if you're going to upgrade in a few months to a year and not OC, then get the Single Core.

If you were to ask me personally what would I chose, I'd go for the dual core, as its more future-proof, its very overclockable, I do more than just game or do one single heavy task at one time. In addition the extra 200MHz (after OCing either chip) you may gain by going single core will not increase your gaming performance by much, plus you'll lose some performance compared to dual cores where one core can be dedicated to the game, while the other will be dedicated to everything else running in the background.

icon57
01-12-2006, 07:53 AM
save yourself some money and get a 148 opty.

CrashOv3r1De
01-12-2006, 09:23 AM
I would get the 165 regardless espec if you are one of those poeple who dont upgrade for a while or multitask a bit.

It is a good investment

ozzimark
01-12-2006, 09:29 AM
If you are going to be running both at stock speeds, and strictly gaming/browsing web and not ANYTHING else, go for the 150 Opty.
why even bother with an opteron if you don't oc? ;)

OV3RCLOCK3R
01-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Personally if i had to choose, I would take the opteron 165 over the opteron 150. :)

Ampz
01-12-2006, 09:59 AM
I'm actually getting more use out of my 2.6ghz 175 opty then I could ever hope to get out of a fx55-57 @ 3.6ghz. In Q4 the dual core option blows fx55-57 out of the water. I can log 2 characters on WoW at the same time with ease, it used to make the 2nd client LAG horribly since each takes 100% cpu usage even out of fx55 but now they each only take 1/2 :P and can shrink/encrypt/unrar etc. without sweat. Dual core is the way to go imo. There will be alot more games supporting it also with the release of the fx60 and also the sm2 in the future there will be alot of dual core, the games have to support the dual core demanad. Just my 2c

K.I.T.T.
01-12-2006, 10:06 AM
Opty 165 2 WIN :fact:

THunDA
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Dual core !!

I dont really multi task much and was a little hesitant of getting one myself.. But now even though im only running @ 2600mhz it feels just as fast as my sandy at 2800mhz.. Dual cores just make things feel so much smoother..

Now im thinking of getting a 170 or 175..lol.. geez it never ends.. :D

FireDragon
01-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I just had to make a choice something like that and i took the dual core way...most dual cores clock over 2.55 and really the only thing you ned anything faster for is benching 01se pretty much some are reacheing 2.7-2.8 like mine on air other are in the 2,9-3.0 range with water...

i would go dual core in the next 2-3 months games will use dual cores and a 2.2 dual will be better that a 3ghz single..

dragon

Pyr0
01-12-2006, 10:21 AM
yeah, i love my dual core...

since trying one, i couldn't go back to using a single core cpu full time
i love the fact that i can finally use true multitasking

with a single core, if i wanted to do anything cpu intensive, the pc would be essentially rendered unuseable until the task had finished
dual core changed all that, now i can encode a home movie while surfing the net, writing email, listening to mp3's and burning a dvd, all without a hitch or stutter :D

gaming performance ain't too bad either

Ampz
01-12-2006, 12:11 PM
gaming performance ain't too bad either

Gaming performance is AWESOME if you have a game like Q4 that can use both cores. Just knowing that in the future more games will be lilke that should be enough to make anyone wanna get out of single core. Gonna be IMPOSSIBLE for any single core processor to beat a dual core opty/x2/fx60+ at or around 3ghz if the game can use both cores.

Daveb2012
01-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Gaming performance is AWESOME if you have a game like Q4 that can use both cores. Just knowing that in the future more games will be lilke that should be enough to make anyone wanna get out of single core. Gonna be IMPOSSIBLE for any single core processor to beat a dual core opty/x2/fx60+ at or around 3ghz if the game can use both cores.

I have Quake 4 what are you talking about 2 characters I must be missing some thing with that.

From the looks of it though EVERY ONE said duel core so their must be a reason for this I have an opteron 148 that does 3ghz stable I dont think it would be worth selling it though for say 200.00 and spending another 150.00 or so for a 165. I just don't think i would ever see a difference in performance and it would be a hastle and I would be out some money. I will probably hold on to this 148 for awhile im pretty happy with it. I just like upgrading.

`SippY
01-12-2006, 11:11 PM
I have Quake 4 what are you talking about 2 characters I must be missing some thing with that.

From the looks of it though EVERY ONE said duel core so their must be a reason for this I have an opteron 148 that does 3ghz stable I dont think it would be worth selling it though for say 200.00 and spending another 150.00 or so for a 165. I just don't think i would ever see a difference in performance and it would be a hastle and I would be out some money. I will probably hold on to this 148 for awhile im pretty happy with it. I just like upgrading.

you easily have a chance of overclocking that 165 to 2.7 if not more and that right there would equal your 148 in gaming and would be much faster in everything else

rick_fx
01-12-2006, 11:20 PM
This is an easy choice ;)

you easily have a chance of overclocking that 165 to 2.7 if not more and that right there would equal your 148 in gaming and would be much faster in everything else

Exactly what I was going to say :)