PDA

View Full Version : Using 2 RAID cards in one system

CCW
01-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I currently have an Adaptec 1200A RAID card and want to set up a second array, on another card however im not sure if you can put two of these cards in one system? Can u mix and match makes? I have an 8RDA+ so no on-board RAID,

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Craig

Tex
01-23-2003, 01:51 PM
Normally yes but there sometimes gotcha's to the deal.

Some MB's and some controlelrs sometimes barf in the presence of others,

Unless you find someone witrh the exact same rig... I mean MB raid cards etc... you probably will not know for sure till you try it though.

Good Luck!

Tex

Tex
01-23-2003, 01:56 PM
P.S. I think the hpt 4 port ide raid is stillone of the best deals going.

I had a buddy pass on this atto to look at. It was his 4 IBM drives I believe oina 4 port hpt in a nforce2 if I remember right.

Looks like he has a 32 bit bus maxed ehhhh???

Tex

Tex
01-23-2003, 01:57 PM
It looks like the hpt needs a higher latency with the writes so low but.... still impressive in a 32 bit slot.

Tex

CCW
01-23-2003, 10:42 PM
****!!! That RAID array is power incarnate, 133Mbps read speeds!! Well, I can only afford at the moment another 60GB (£70) Maxtor 7200RPM, ATA133 so its the same as my backup drive, then I was gonna RAID0 em. Spose i could just sell the two 40 gigs and then i would only need one card. I will have a look at buying two more of these drives,

Craig

CCW
01-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Tex, how many of these 60Gb maxtor drives do you reckon it would take to saturate the 32bit PCI bus? 3? 4? Prob is, am I better of going with RAID 10 with 4 disks because then I have redundancy so if any of the drives fail it wont matter? I can go RAID 5 on 3 disks but RAID 5 hardware controllers are expensive and only 2k server supports software RAID.

Thanks,
Craig

Tex
01-24-2003, 04:56 AM
Yep only 2k server or the new .net server ( I love it.... btw...) has raid-5. Without a serious (read megabuck) hardware ide controller you are gonna be shocked at the low low write scores ona raid-5. I have done big scsi rigs that did very well in raid-5 but I have never seen a ide controller of anykind with respectable write scores. I had a 5 disk raid-5 ide that hit 100,000+ on reads but 23,000 on writes to get an idea what I am saying. IDE and raid-5 is just not cool. Can you say "sluggish feeling"?

If you got all the user files (my documents and settings) which would have user temp and internet temp etc... and moved the pagefile off so you didn't write to it as much also then it would be OK....

Why not run a couple raid-0 arrays and backup one to the other instead?

Send me an email later. Might have something for ya.

Tex

m-k-withers@attbi.com

CCW
01-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Hi,
Will try to email you later, might not be till tomorrow or sunday but will try later. Just finsihing work, jgoing to do a call-out, have to see what time i get back,
thanks
Craig

CCW
01-26-2003, 04:04 AM
Right, just got an identical drive to my 60 GB, last ngith I RAID 0 em and put 2k on. Got rid of one of the 40s (gave to step-dad) and the other 40 is a spare. I dont seem ot be able to format the spare one. Its a 40gb drive but says it a 80 (presume this is because of the parity info) so it formats to 50% and stops. What can i do about this?

Thanks,
Craig

Tex
01-26-2003, 01:06 PM
Have you tried Maxtors low-level utilities? Run the diagnostic and if it passes ok do a low-level. If it won't low-level its time to rma the sucker buddy.

Tex

CCW
01-27-2003, 11:48 PM
I havent tried them yet, but we have them at work. Im going down there tonight to pick up some parts for a build Im doing for a friend so I will do a copy then.

Thanks,
Craig