PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong?

rgdiz
01-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Well, it looks like I did something wrong again. I ran memtest from the bios on the nF4 box in my sig and after I cooled it properly it passed 5+ hours. I then decided to try to speed up my memory timings a little and changed 3 4 4 8 to 2.5 3 3 7 which caused my machine to reboot twice without loading the OS. I then changed the timings back to 3 4 4 8 1T and tried to boot but I got an error message that files were corrupt so on the advice of a DFI forum reader I cleared the bios, set it up again and corrected the problem.

I tried to run memtest from within windows (2 instances, 848mb each), but 1 instance failed after 104%. I then tried Prime95 (2 instances, affinity 0 and affinity 1) but 1 instance received a fatal error within a minute. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong, my settings are: 3448 1T, 3120 tref, others are default, FSB 250, dram 200 01/01. Any thoughts on what I might do to clear this up?

Thanks

GSKILL TECH
01-11-2006, 09:17 AM
are you sure you set up the same timing as before?
maybe some timing is different and you are not notice of that.

it should not happen that try to run CL2.5 and damage the memory, do you pull the voltage up a lot?

let me know

rgdiz
01-11-2006, 10:00 AM
it should not happen that try to run CL2.5 and damage the memory, do you pull the voltage up a lot?

I had dropped the voltage from 2.6 to 2.5 based on other's comments that the memory liked lower voltages.

Thanks

GSKILL TECH
01-12-2006, 08:18 AM
how is your ram now?

rgdiz
01-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Still no good because I don't know what to adjust it to, but I did get some quick responce when I posted to dfi-street this AM and i will try to work on it tonight. If you have any suggestions please send them to me.

As a sidebar, I had tried A64 tweaker, but it seemed after I used it I could not make any changes to the BIOS from within the BIOS. Is this common to this utility?

GSKILL TECH
01-12-2006, 04:22 PM
hummm i have no idea what happened....
just try some setting i posted in HZ thread or copy other members timing!

rgdiz
01-16-2006, 05:01 AM
G.S Technician: hummm i have no idea what happened....

So I looked and figured I'd try to work with what was being used (nothing in thread is for x2 4400) so I tried 3 4 4 10, FSB 250, DRAM 200 01/01, LDT 3, 3120, VID 1.425 and +113%, 2.6v on memory, other settings auto/default and I got memtest+ errors on test 5 at pass 69 and 169 so I halted the test and changed LDT volt to 1.3 and memory volt to 2.7 and went to 3 4 4 8. I tested all day with no problems and after 11 and a half hours at pass 313 I figured I'd shut down soon as it must be good. On pass 314 I got 2 errors at 2 different memory addresses. Which pissed me off, don't ya' know. So in disgust I let it run all night and it is running right now, hasn't had any other errors, I'm at pass 597. I'm going to let it run at least until pass 629 (2x314+1), but I don't know where to go from here. I mean, I'm not even really overclocking, I'm just trying to use the memory at it's rated speed.

BTW G.S Technician, why don't you try a setup on a DFI nF4 SLI DR with a x2 4400 instead of using an OPTI which isn't even supported by the manufacturer.

BBTW: FSB 250 x 10 not 11

GSKILL TECH
01-16-2006, 01:38 PM
G.S Technician: hummm i have no idea what happened....

So I looked and figured I'd try to work with what was being used (nothing in thread is for x2 4400) so I tried 3 4 4 10, FSB 250, DRAM 200 01/01, LDT 3, 3120, VID 1.425 and +113%, 2.6v on memory, other settings auto/default and I got memtest+ errors on test 5 at pass 69 and 169 so I halted the test and changed LDT volt to 1.3 and memory volt to 2.7 and went to 3 4 4 8. I tested all day with no problems and after 11 and a half hours at pass 313 I figured I'd shut down soon as it must be good. On pass 314 I got 2 errors at 2 different memory addresses. Which pissed me off, don't ya' know. So in disgust I let it run all night and it is running right now, hasn't had any other errors, I'm at pass 597. I'm going to let it run at least until pass 629 (2x314+1), but I don't know where to go from here. I mean, I'm not even really overclocking, I'm just trying to use the memory at it's rated speed.

BTW G.S Technician, why don't you try a setup on a DFI nF4 SLI DR with a x2 4400 instead of using an OPTI which isn't even supported by the manufacturer.

BBTW: FSB 250 x 10 not 11
look like the problem should be ur motherboard cuz it becomes more stable once you increased the LDT volt.
why using Ultra-D and OPTY. cuz they are cheaper.

rgdiz
01-19-2006, 05:19 PM
Well G.S.Tech, I'm still having problems. I can't get it to run at 250 FSB even with fairly loose timings (3 4 4 10 2t). Maybe I should be trying dividers?

GSKILL TECH
01-20-2006, 09:51 AM
well, i think either RMA it or check with ur friends who has AMD base system.
the memory u have maybe has some problem

rgdiz
01-20-2006, 11:44 AM
G.S.Tech,

I am in the process of running the cpu/ram (DFI-Street documented by Angry and Rgone) tests to figure out what my highest OC could be, so far, my cpu can reach 245 fsb (11 multi), so I plan to test the ram over the weekend. It may not be the rams fault.

Lestat
01-21-2006, 06:36 AM
the dfi mobo's are INFAMOUS for killing ram with nothing more than changing the timings and rebooting. i've had it happen to me twice, and countless friends who have had dfi boards kill their ram.

1)
reset the cmos with the jumper,
2)
start the system with only 1 stick of ram, make sure its running ok, then power down and add the 2nd stick.
3)
reflash the bios at the safest clockspeed you can maintain, even if its only 1.5ghz run it..
4)
try that, if it dont work, give the ram to someone to try on antoher system see what it does.
5)
your board could be crap now also. i had 1 of the many dfi NF4 baord i had die on me for no reason, it was frustrating cuz at the time i didnt have another mobo, i had to go buy one and then found out the mobo was cuasing the issue.
6)
ive also had 4 other dfi baords just kill ram for no reason, 1 set of TCCD, 2 sets of BH5, ive never seen any other board on the market eat ram alive like this board does.

your not gunna damage that ram buy running tighter and lower timings but you should have known that tightening the timings and lowering the volts is pretty stupid when your trying to go higher. regardless of then liking less volts, anytime you drop the voltages you must increase the latency settings not make them tighter.

one HUGE thing i have found with all the NF4boards i have owned is that when theyscrew up like this , pull 1 stick out and reboot the system with only 1 stick in it, get it running ok then add the 2nd stick, 9/10 times it works ok after that.

rgdiz
01-24-2006, 07:53 AM
:banana: I ran the cpu/ram tests recommended by Angry and Rgone from dfi-street, and determined that my processor tops out at FSB 245 multi 11, and my ram tops out at FSB 250 (3 4 4 8 1t). These settings were with mostly defaults selected, 14.25v on cpu, cpu special +110%. I could probably get more out of them but I am aircooled and have had my cpu go to 60+ a couple of times testing. I hope the temps improve with a new cooler (Freezer 64) and the addition of Artic Silver.

Anyway, all I wanted was to run at FSB 250 x 10 or so, and I can get there now with FSB 237 x 11 = 2607, which is not spectacular, but not real shabby either. :woot: If I decide I want more I guess I'll have to go with a water cooling system, which might not be a bad idea since my computer room is normally about 80f degrees.

Lestat: I've read a number of posts regarding this ram and the fact that some people find that it runs better with lower voltage, so I figured I'd try it.