PDA

View Full Version : How much extra heat would this cause?

terrordemon
01-11-2006, 07:45 AM
I have my 170 running at around 1.5 volta @ 2700mhz right now, and it idles fine, but the full load temps can get around 53 degrees, or so (if i was at home i'd post pics). Then i remember reading somewhere that you apply the thermal paste differently on a64's than AXP's. I know, I'm dumb, and havent built a computer since my barton, where you have to spread the as5 all around the die. So, thats what i did with my 170, but around the entire heatspreader. Would this cause extra heat? If so, approximately how much? Would it be worth it to take off the heatsink and re-apply as5? The only reason why I'm hesitant is because the mobo/heatsink are already in my case and it would be a little bit of a :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

thanks

Magnj
01-11-2006, 08:31 AM
some people still spread a layer over the IHS, just yesterday I followed the AS5 directions and put a blob in the middle and let the heatsink preasure spread it around. I would leave it...AS5 also has a 200hour break in period

terrordemon
01-11-2006, 08:39 AM
what do you mean by "break period"? by that do you mean how long itll fully take to sit in? and 200 hours of the computer being on? or total time

|3ourne
01-11-2006, 09:06 AM
spreading it on the IHS works just fine. It actually helps in setting it in better. the 200 hours it needs to cure is basically when the thermal paste heats up and cools down and the microscopic particles fill all the surface anomalies completely making it a pseudo flat surface which enhances the heat transfer.

terrordemon
01-11-2006, 09:21 AM
so does that mean that over time, not taking into account burning in, that temps will decrease?

RTB
01-11-2006, 09:36 AM
That is correct.

thinkingbear
01-11-2006, 02:06 PM
what do you mean by "break period"? by that do you mean how long itll fully take to sit in? and 200 hours of the computer being on? or total time
Besides waiting to 200 hours to allow it to set, Artic Silver also recommends that you perform thermal cycling, letting it heat up under full load and then turning it off and cooling back down to room tempurature, 5 or 6 times during that first 200 hours allowing it to expand and contract its way into all the ridges and valleys. As for spreading over the entire IHS or using just a blob in the middle, I have done both and did not notice a change in temps. However, you do use a whole lot less if you don't have to spread it over the whole IHS, plus you don't have to spend the time spreading it out and maybe getting a conductive substance on your hands or somewhere else it somewhere it should not be (talking from personal experience :nono: ).