PDA

View Full Version : Think my Raptor is failing

Deadeye550
01-10-2006, 11:19 AM
I just want some input to make sure my hypothesis is correct. I just got a WD Raptor HDD and I have been having some weird symptoms ever since I put my HDD in my computer. During startup when my BIOS recognizes all my devices it lags when trying to detect the Raptor, if at all. In the rare cases that my bios cannot detect the raptor it tries to connect to something via DHCP. This has been happening intermittently since I got the HDD, which has been for about a week. The other night I had my HDD light stay solid on for about 15-20 and I got the blue screen with high pitched tones coming out of my speakers. After a cold boot my computer wouldn’t recognize the HDD anymore. After a few power cycles and reboots I was finally able to get windows to boot successfully. Does this problem sound like I got a bad HDD or could this issue be isolated to the extra gig of ram that I put in my computer. In regards to my RAM I added a extra gig of the same type of memory. System specs are in my sig.

Thanks for all your help :toast:

Deadeye

deltarealm
01-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Try using the molex power connector instead of the sata power connector (or vice versa, depending on which power input you are currently using).
If that does not work, try connecting if to a different chain of power molex's from the power supply.

Keeper
01-22-2006, 03:04 PM
It could be a PSU problem too. Try unplugging some other devices and see if the problem goes away.

Justintoxicated
01-22-2006, 10:49 PM
I found one of the plugs on my old PSU would cause the HD to spin up then stop then spin up again. For some reason the plugs farther down the line than this molex worked fine (non modular PSU)..

But I have also found that adding a second stick of memory could Easily be the culpret.

Try using just the new stick and see if the problem goes away, if not put the old stick in and see if hte problem goes away...

yuckfou
01-22-2006, 11:12 PM
check whether there is current leakage.

Deadeye550
01-23-2006, 02:24 PM
I already sent the drive back for a RMA. If the problem persists then I will try all your suggestions.

Yuckfou, how do I test if there is a current leakage? I'm not a EE :confused: