PDA

View Full Version : MSI Neo2 and Gskill

Fenny
01-09-2006, 02:10 PM
Hi there,

I recently brought some "G.Skill 2GB DDR ZX PC3200" for my MSI neo2 mobo. Beforehand, I had corsairs that had no problems what-so-ever.

My mobo seems to reject these sticks completly. With AUTO settings on, it refuses to boot in duel channel. In single channel it boots however it is incredably unstable. It lasts for about 5 seconds in a game before It BSOD's on me.

Checking the details of it in CPU-Z the memory details were all fine appart from the manufacturer's name which was "7F7F7F7FCD000000".

I have been on bios version 1.8 as the latest version has allways had stability issues. I have also tried updating the bios to the latest to get these working to no joy.

To see if the memory was borked then I went to my mates house to test them out on his DFI mobo. He originally had problems with some 2gb corsairs but was sent some memory configurations which fixed it.

When using my memory in his computer it booted up fine in duel channel mode on timings 2.5,4,4,7 at 200mhz. On looking at the settings in CPU-z i also noticed that the manufactueres name was now "Gskill".

The problem is, is that MSI neo2 bios's dont have as many configurable options to change so I dont see how I am going to get these working without a modded bios of some sort that allows me to play with the settings.

Settings I have tried and failed:

Voltage 2.6>2.85
Timings- 2-3-2-5 > 3-4-4-8
Freq- 166-200
Slots - Tried every combination of slots and yet they still crash in single and dont boot up at all in duel.

Thanks for your time.

Fenny

GSKILL TECH
01-09-2006, 02:22 PM
does anyone else using Neo2?
i really don't know how to help......

HeamothoraxUK
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
Hi Fenny and G.S Technician,
This is my first post as i'm a long time reader but first time poster. My reply may be of no help at all as i'm using the PC4000HZ on my NEO2 but i'm using a modded bios by NFM as I have a Sandiago chip. In this mod some of the memory timings have been altered from standard and also forces 1T.I'm currently running at 270X10 1T. The bios is180NFM(Rev.3)1T and here are the changes he made :
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum BIOS Rev.3

- Based on v1.8F BIOS

*** This is a special San Diego Edition, therefore 1T Command Rate always will be enabled.
Use it only if you have a San Diego processor.

Changelog Rev.1:

- Fixed divider issue, trc = 12 clks & trfc = 18 clks on all dividers
- Read Write Queue Bypass = 16x
- Bypass Max = 7x
- Idle Cycle Limit = 256 clks
- Max Async Latency = 8ns

Changelog Rev.2:

- All hidden options are now available

Changelog Rev.3:

- trrd = 3 clks
- twr = 2 clks
- trwt = 2 clks (trtw in A64 Tweaker)

The above settings will be always applied by default. Make sure you test these settings
with "A64 Tweaker" before flashing this BIOS.

need.for.mhz [NFM]
at xtremesystems.org

I have tried latest bioses such as 1c3 but found this one to be best for me.
Good luck.

Fenny
01-10-2006, 02:36 AM
Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunatly, I am unable to even get the ram running at those kind of speeds in the first place. If I were to flash the bios and the memory refused to work then I would have dug myself into a very large hole. I am not sure if this makes any difference, but my cpu is a newcastle.

I am going to test out my friends corsair in my computer to see if my motherboard is capable of running 2gb in duel channel.

Il post back with how it goes.

Fenny

HeamothoraxUK
01-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Hi Fenny,
With the Newcastle chip i would not go above bios 1.8. Have you tried setting your drive strenght to weak instead of normal as this seems to help certain brands of memory.

GSKILL TECH
01-11-2006, 08:33 AM
thx for the help from HeamothoraxUK :)